Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks 2019 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

A show that is in my Top 10 for sure, I was disappointed when 3 From The Vault was the next night instead

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I can't agree. Boise '83 is a very good show. However, the PA mix and cassette master are definitely not ideal.

3. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Ordered. The last Dave's I got was no. 17. :hide:

RocksOff87 likes this.
  4. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Hmmm ... not yet sold out. Maybe they are reaching optimal edition size now that they have expanded to 20,000.

5. MrBrew

MrBrew Forum Resident

Feb 19, 71 was the first show without Mickey, so definitely some historical significance to that show.

Will check out the previous night, as I've never listened to it! Thanks for the recommendation.

marmalade166 likes this.
  6. notesofachord

Perhaps. A big factor may be that flippers/scalpers are noticing that the recent years (18,500 available) don't sell for outrageous markups like the early years do. Not as many buyers looking to turn a profit may be bothering to order in first place.

Less flippers buying = more copies available for fans.

7. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yea, their ongoing production optimization may have just squeezed the flippers out of the equation - not a bad thing!

8. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Interesting strategy; skip all the great shows. Seems to have worked out for you though.

9. Samadams757

Samadams757 Forum Resident

I have avoided this show as well, in addition to 2/9 and 2/15/73. Probably many more (I used to have a list ....) :)

10. Samadams757

Samadams757 Forum Resident

And now it shows out of stock .... If you still want one, keep on checking because they tend to have some cancellations, so keep on trying if you want one. At least this show lasted a couple of hours

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Agree 100%. For example, I recently bumped into 11-29-80 on The Archive. Several aud versions but no sbd (pretty sure). They are all good but the Richie Stankiewicz recording using "m88's in the 'Sweet Spot'" is insane good. The show is killer as well. Check it out, and hang loose, while we wait for the mighty Swing Auditorium set.

www.archive.org/details/gd1980-11-29.127229.beyer.stankiewicz.flac2496

12. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

This is a fantastic idea. The idea of having a few well-mastered 80s Charlie Miller recordings on a proper CD with nice Dave's-style packaging would certainly keep me subscribing indefinitely. As it stands, I'm getting burned out on 70s shows. I took last year off Dave's because it was either Dave's 2018 or the PacNW box; I chose the latter and have no regrets. Doesn't look like I missed much.

I am back on the horse for 2019, though.

fishcane likes this.
  13. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

I'll never turn down a Morning Dew, but 15 minutes of Sugar Magnolia and Johnny B. Goode to end a show is not very exciting, especially with 2nd ever Terrapin sitting out there. Maybe there are issues with the tapes.

14. malfano

malfano Forum Resident

Dave said only the 5th reel exists. Maybe there’s a fragment of terrapin on it but the whole thing doesn’t exist.

Coltrane811 likes this.
  15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Does he mention whether the reel flip in PITB is patched or just cross-faded?

footlooseman likes this.
  16. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Or maybe people realize it won’t be much different than what is easily available already?

footlooseman and ianuaditis like this.
  17. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Hard for me to imagine a worse idea, with the amount of material in the vault that either 1) has significantly better sound quality than what circulates and/or 2) doesn’t circulate in decent quality at all

18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

And Jerry nails the counterpoint transition with Phil on this one!

19. notesofachord

Agreed. There's no reason to plop down $30 for an audience master just for some fancy skeleton art and a booklet.

20. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

We already have free access to properly transferred, pitch-corrected copies of those AUD's.

21. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

It's better than 2/19
    Also here's to hoping 2/18 is never a Daves Pick as there's a multitrack and it deserves a standalone release

22. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

I disagree, the Doofus Skeleton is woefully under represented in today's modern commercial art.

23. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I think there's been talk of this for decades now, well from me anyway. I was just thinking about it today actually. I don't see any reason not to do so and so many reasons to just do it already.

fishcane and ianuaditis like this.
  24. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

So next '77 boxset, Winterland 3/77?

25. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Nice to see Real Gone has DP36 available. I missed this pick the first go round for some reason. $47 tmm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.