Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2020 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Oct 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Bayo, Bayo, tell me how can this be?
    You arrest the high class hookers for turning tricks
    But you're scared of Stagger Lee
    Stagger Lee is a madman and he shot my Billy D
    Bayo go get him or give me the bonus discs for free

@budwhite can tell you all about my vast wealth. A while back we drove to TxR in my high class limo. That's short for limousine for those unfamiliar with my 1 percent lifestyle. Remember when Tony Millionaire was illustrating the Dave's covers? I bought all his expensive GD prints for OBVIOUS reasons.

Am I even a Deadhead? Does it suck to be me? Stay tuned!

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    adamos, Archtop, dgwint and 5 others like this.
  2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

You're one of those people who gets the VIP Package at Folsom Field so you don't have to mix with the rabble.

d3adf1sh, bzfgt and wavethatflag like this.
  3. wavethatflag

And I leave before the encore, but not before I've complained about how I can't stand the smell of "cannabis." (That happened to me at Fare Thee Well Santa Clara--a woman not too far from me stated she couldn't stand the smell of marijuana.)

AlienRendel, budwhite, bzfgt and 5 others like this.
  4. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That must have been quite traumatic for her. Good for her for having the strength to talk about it.

5. wavethatflag

It was traumatic for me, yet I was not provided with a safe space containing a hookah and black light posters.

6. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

When I saw Phish at Alpine back in 2010 there was a woman who said the same thing and was VERY LOUDLY chastising everyone around her that was partaking, as if they were all so very rude and thoughtless.

7. wavethatflag

It's like attending a pow wow and saying moccasins are the worst footwear.

AlienRendel, budwhite, adamos and 7 others like this.
  8. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

It's like going to a tailgate at Lambeau Field and complaining about all the BBQing and beer-drinking.

9. wavethatflag

You're analogy is more on point than mine. How'd you like an executive suite position at Wavethatflag Industries? I'm so flush with COVID relief cash, I may go for that $475 belt buckle at dead.net.

Guys, this isn't working for me, I'm gonna start a thread for rich phony Deadheads because you can't relate.

10. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Alright yinz got me started...

Anyone have someone say something on the internet that is so stupid that you remember it years later? This one guy who was an ass on whatever board I was reading, was acting like a tough guy about pot. Said he wants to take his 6 year old kid to concerts and it was BS that people would smoke pot at a show. I think this was a Rush board.

The very thought that I should be prevented from taking communion when I'm in church, because someone's spawn, who has no idea what is going on mind you, might not like it... it makes me crazy! Is there no where where adults can be adults??? Does our whole existence have to be sanitized for your precious offspring?

It has been such a PITA to relax at concerts in PA and FL the last two decades. I'm so TIRED OF IT. But things are changing...

too bad there's no concerts anymore.

budwhite, d3adf1sh, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  11. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

I'm not a smoker and never have been, and loathe the smell of all that stuff... honestly, I have had to kinda 'teach' myself at Phish shows (and their ilk) to not be all uptight about it.

Got my 'tude sorted now... and I have to say that I did feel particularly relaxed and 'in' the music at the 2015/12/30 MSG show where the smoke was attacking me from all angles!

budwhite, Freebird, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  12. trd

trd Forum Resident

But I repeat myself

13. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Personally I look down on most Deadheads, but my Dave's subscription doesn't have much to do with it.

14. trd

trd Forum Resident

I think @KDubATX is telling us that he’s Bill Walton

Crispy Rob, budwhite, adamos and 6 others like this.
  15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Overheard walking out of ABB at the Pavillion...

Mom talking to preteen daughter:
    There are just some things I don't want you to see.

16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I saw Steely Dan at the Tower Theater in Philadelphia one time and no one even lit a cigarette...I felt quite ill at ease

budwhite, US Blues and wavethatflag like this.
  17. bzfgt

Um, hello...not cleared with Corporate...

18. bzfgt

I'm barfing again

d3adf1sh likes this.
  19. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Don't even trip, dude.
    God knows you've merited it.

There's only so much time -- why waste it engaging with the proletariat, the great unwashed wookies? You earned your wings -- use them for flying, not slumming.

(Hope I'm not out-of-line here. It was beyond time to address the elephant...)

budwhite, US Blues, trd and 2 others like this.
  20. wavethatflag

I have a signed autograph picture from Peter Mayhew my brother got me at a Star Wars convention. It's not a picture of the actor himself, but him as Chewbacca with Luke and Han.

I haven't yet listened to the new Dave's (and bonus disc :hide::hide:) but I may post my thoughts in The Grateful Thread. Or here.

21. wavethatflag

When I see young kids at concerts, I get worried for their hearing. All is right with the world when Mr. or Mrs. Parent has slapped a noise-blocking headset on junior and his sister.

As far as commenting on contact highs affecting childhood development, I'd like to see the medical data first.

22. Me neither. Always skip it. Always.

uzn007 likes this.
  23. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

You need to stay away from those parking lot burritos.

trd, wavethatflag, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  24. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Don't hold your breath. They'll put you down as another untested C-19 death.

budwhite likes this.
  25. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I agree with most of this stance, the first tapes I got all came with the caveat that while I could share them with whoever I pleased, making money off tapes was a cardinal sin, and it kinda sucks to see that the business model these days basically caters to that.

But also, irony is probably the overriding trope in the discourse here. I don't think wave that flag is entirely serious...

Right, to keep the music exclusive on bonus discs is not the act of a friend. If Dave had all the tapes in his pocket, he must share them. Certainly he can charge a fee for such services.

The collectible model relies on the expected demand by sellers in the resale market. It doesn't matter how long the subs are available, those guys are going to buy up a percentage of the limited amount of subs (and bonus discs) which by definition will not go to actual fans who may have wanted them. (Quite like ticket scalpers in that regard.) We see a dozen copies with bonus disc on Ebay within hours of release every time.

There are other sales models Rhino/GD could have undertaken to avoid having product sit on warehouse shelves. (e.g. taking orders but not printing the discs until a certain threshold has been reached, whatever the current Garcia operation does, eltc.) The fact that they avoided these leads to the conclusion that the real concern (given the general decline of physical media and the widespread availability of free tapes,) was to appeal to collectors (again, read 'collectors' as 're-sellers,') in order to ensure enough sales to keep the program going.

Also, we are talking about Warner Bros, one of the largest sellers of recorded music in the world; the idea that a few thousand units of CDs (especially for a popular act that actually sells out most of its releases eventually) is some kind of insurmountable logistical challenge for them is hardly worth entertaining. (The same goes for implementing some kind of on-demand ordering; if anyone has the relationships and flexibility to make such a model work, they do.)

However, the post you replied to was not even about the limited model, but actually their strange adherence to the bonus disc.

Why do you suppose they insist on keeping the bonus disc exclusive when there are other incentives to subscribe, and they could also easily do a limited edition run of bonus discs to satisfy demand, at a premium price, after subscriptions are closed?

Why do they insist on not allowing the bonus discs to be reissued for past archive series even when any incentive to subscribe has long since passed?

I've said it multiple times - if you go back and look at what they said when Dave's Picks started, it's pretty clear they were not expecting it to do nearly as well as it has. They've done a decent job mitigating their original sin of catering to the re-sellers market by simply issuing more subs. The only thing I still have a serious beef with is the bonus disc (like when they said 'we can't let Real Gone reissue these because it violates the spirit of a bonus disc.' What does that even mean?)

It's like posting in a Grateful Dead thread complaining that Deadheads complain about the way they do official releases.

Oh my, I think you've been given the un-electric Kool aid...

jmadad, US Blues, uzn007 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.