Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2020 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Oct 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I agree that was disappointing. I saw a few people walking around outside Soldier Field that weekend with stickers on their shirts that said "Let Donna Sing".

2. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Maybe not quite that far, but I did think that making those shows into a mini festival with FTW as the closer would have made sense. I didn't feel short-changed, but I was expecting a little more from the final show than just a second encore.

3. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Played today all the way through v 35 nice show and great extras just a shame they stuck them over two discs taking away some of the flow bizzare decision. I would have preferred them on disc 3 as an extra

4. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Phil and the drummers did rehearse together, of course, but rehearsals were extremely limited, at Phil's insistence. The prelim "negotiations" sounded pretty strained.

But anyone who attended Santa Clara and experienced the miracle rainbow can tell you it was more than a cash grab. They performed an authentic rainbow dance that day. The vibe, pre-show and during, couldn't have been better.

I do wish Donna would've been part of it.

5. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

That may be the funniest thing I have ever read.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

There was a major cash grab aspect, but I went anyway. It came out later in someone’s interview that rehearsals of the full band were made impossible by Phil and the two drummers not getting along—bad blood from the last Dead tour with W. Haynes where Phil’s wife was tour manager and sent the drummers a bill after the tour for services rendered. So we see where Jerry and even Bill Graham were kind of necessary to make this sort of thing work.

7. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Finally finished #35 . It's got some really great points, but I think it might rank among my least favorites of the series if it wasn't for the filler material (as awkwardly placed as it may be). The "Scarlet > Fire" is as terrific as everyone says, the "Dew" is hot hot hot and I'm always a sucker for a nice "Esau", but the rest of my highlights came from the filler material, if I'm gonna be honest.

And I have to say I'm slightly disappointed in the liner notes this time out. I normally like the insights, but this one felt like way more time was spent talking about how it wasn't picked for the 30 Trips box than about the actual music or the context of the show.

Don't get me wrong - I don't hate it and I'm sure there will be more moments that hit me as I spend more time with it, but it's definitely not gonna crack my top 10 list.

8. wavethatflag

I really enjoyed it, but some of that was from low expectations given the year. And Jerry’s voice was pretty rough. But the playing at many points—I felt like I had no right to expect better. To me, it’s really not the worst Dave’s. But then what is “the worst” Dave’s? Dave is doing his job.

laf848, Woodville, adamos and 8 others like this.
  9. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

He's not even American.

budwhite, anth67 and wavethatflag like this.
  10. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Oh yeah, it's certainly not the worst, but heck, the "worst Dave's Pick" is basically the worst doughnut in the box of dozen you've picked for yourself. If I had to pick my least favorite one, I'd go with DaP #26. Mostly because I felt it wasn't as good as the Felt Forum pick that better represented that era.

11. wavethatflag

You’re just on a higher comic plane these days insofar as you making me smile at nativism. So wrong, but so funny.

And he is Great White North American.

footlooseman, bzfgt and budwhite like this.
  12. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

despite living in Vermont for a very brief time in the late eighties I ‘m an amateur phisherman . Never took the plunge so to speak probably saved my marriage riding an occasional wave. Dave Clark’s in the kiddie pool, that’s it too young for the DC5(I wasn’t a Big DC comix Phan either or even the MC5 was definitely immersed in the Jackson5 my cousin who might be lurking on this board could tell you some stories) and too olde for that crew that swims in the other end. This is closer to my body of water

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    bzfgt, wavethatflag and adamos like this.
  13. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Yes. I also hear the bass artifact on the sound system in my truck and do not listen to 25 Aug '72 there either.

14. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I still think they should've closed the last show with "Day Job."

pcox80, hoggydoggy, posnera and 9 others like this.
  15. US Blues

"Jerry's dead, Phish sucks, get a Day Job."

16. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Yes

17. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

#27 & #22

18. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

All weekend I was hoping that Hunter and Barlow would make a brief appearance --- though I knew it that would have been unlikely. I have seen Hunter perform a few times, but never seen or been around Barlow in any setting.

frightwigwam likes this.
  19. This!

bzfgt likes this.
  20. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

It’s a pretty cool effect and personally I love it. Hopefully we get more stuff like that.

wavethatflag likes this.
  21. wavethatflag

:-popcorn:

SBegonias17, bzfgt, ronbow and 3 others like this.
  22. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

:cop:

(Don't want wtf's popcorn to go to waste...)

Shvartze Shabbos and bzfgt like this.
  23. wavethatflag

I don't bring out the bucket often, and only with a heavy heart. :D

24. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Yeah, maybe they could put an effect on Jerry’s voice to make it sound like he’s singing death metal. How cool would that be.

US Blues likes this.
  25. US Blues

Nothing like death metal dead in triple digit weather. :nyah:

notesofachord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.