Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2020 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Oct 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

All sorts of errors I’ve (mostly?) corrected. I consider my typos and mistakes an homage to the lyrical memories of Jerry and Bob.

2. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Not Judging here. Listening I rarely venture out of the first three most amount of releases also.

Spadeygrove and RockRoom like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

well i'll probably subscribe for another year. have extra money since my girlfriend just dumped me for no reason

4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Sorry for the like, as I feel your pain. Been there, done that. You'll land in a good spot at some point. Sometimes you just have to avoid thinking about it and it just happens. Be patient and listen to the GoGD. And my positive thoughts your way, Matthew.

5. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Her loss and your gain.

6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

With no problems, I'm successfully in (using Chrome just after midnight).

More importantly, I recommend the GoGD for whatever ails y'all.

7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Just ordered.

No problems with Firefox.

8. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

After getting a bunch after-the-fact from ebay for at least $37 each time, I just subscribed for the first time, as the price is too compelling (using Chrome).

9. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Waiting for some bills to clear and then I’ll be subscribing again for the 3rd year!

10. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

I wonder if you're failing to appreciate a subtle corollary here.

Incidentally, those of us on the brink of an epiphany regarding stock-piled shows whose precious notes may never again see the light of play may need to form a self-help group to fortify our resolve as the 2020 subscription countdown approaches midnight. However, two factors weigh heavily against us: (1) the promise of the unknown and (2) the utterly disposable cost. I fear heavy attrition from our coffee-drinking, chain-smoking support meetings in the local church basement as the date of no return approaches.

Note: if I've offended anyone with the 'utterly disposable cost' observation, I sincerely apologize; I'd gladly buy a subscription for any hard-working Head struggling to meet subsistence expenditures, especially if children are being appropriately prioritized. I nominate @bzfgt and @fishcane to make recommendations pursuant to a thorough screening of tax records, income receipts, birth certificates, and a home visit - as they seem to have a limitless reserve of keyboard energy. [note #2: I had originally placed a laughing smiley here to suggest humouorous intent, but simply could not hit the "Enter" button on the post; therefore, I proffer the prosaic equivalent for your mollification: "heh".]

11. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Subscribed. I have not missed a season, and completion FOMO means I am all in for the Dave's Picks journey.

12. Hang tough. Plenty of fish. You’re one of reasons this place is so phenomenal. We sure appreciate you!

13. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I got an order number for 2020, but not a shipping notice. Why would you get a shipping notice so soon for 2020 subscription?
    But, I did get a shipping notice this morning for DaP 32.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Don't forget that in the seaside chat for the 2020 subscription Dave said that 2 January '70 is really 1969 and that 3 December '79 is really 1980. That may affect your list.

I find that the best way to deal with the guilty from gratuitous spending on things like Dave's Picks subscriptions is gratuitous spending on things like electric guitars, which cost far more and don't result in music that is nearly as good. They make the subscriptions seem like sound investments.

15. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Wife: How many guitars do you need?
    Me: N+1, where N is the number I currently have.

I'm currently working on building a custom strat. My plan is to get a custom paint job - candy green with the Garcia Alligator sticker as a graphic behind the bridge.

16. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Ranking the 70's:

Congrats to those who could order without issue! In addition, I have to share my disappointment with the 'Graphic Novel' release of 8/21/68. I have had very HIGH hopes of a 8/21-22 DAP. Pfffft. Fingers crossed for a CD release that doesn't include a 100.00 comic.
    Otherwise very thrilled with what IMO is the best Fall 77 show for the first 2020 DAP, now for the rest of my hopefuls.....

DAP 34 - 6/23/74 w/ 6/22 Bonus
    DAP 35 - 3/9/81
    DAP 36 - 10/25/69

17. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Man, I'd hate to see these Miami Jai-Alai shows get chopped up (i.e one show being rendered incomplete as bonus disc material.) I'd much rather see (and hope for) both of these shows (in complete form) get the special mini-box treatment like the 7/12-13/89 RFK mini-box that came out a couple years ago.

18. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

I agree completely. I based my thoughts on the 6/23 segment already being released on the So Many Roads box. A mini box would be stellar!

ianuaditis and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  19. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Just received my shipping notice. Quite surprised to say the least.

20. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

For 2020 already? :D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

Ordered 2020 subscription yesterday. Third time I have subscribed.

Matthew Tate and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i subscribed again but with a heavy heart

23. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Awesome post. I am not so much into ranking years, eras, etc. But I love reading this conversation and you describe really well not only why '77 doesn't resonate with you that much, as well as why other years in that decade do resonate with you. And, I agree with most of it. I won't go as far as saying it is my least favorite year of the 70's. I've never really played that (ranking) game.

But the lack of transcendental excursions it definitely something worth considering. I never really thought about it (although I think you've mentioned it before). I like the really out there space jams, feedback, and the like, as much as anybody round these parts I think - and lack thereof does kind of leave one wanting a little more, in that regard. Hmm.

rxcory, Six Bachelors, adamos and 7 others like this.
  24. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Maybe it was for 2018 :eek: :agree:

25. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

From my point of view (possibly different than the person you are responding to) '77 was an OK year with some pluses and minuses. Pluses are that the sound on the recordings is fantastic, and some of the songs are incredibly hypnotic and majestic, and there is a "big band" sound that sometimes appeals to me; also there are a few truly amazing moments I've heard from the year. Minuses are that the tempo of most of what they played is slowed way down, like they are on quaaludes or something, it just feels plodding and super boring through big chunks of the music; they played a lot of the same songs over and over; the jams are just not very adventurous; some of the stuff is really awful, like disco "Dancin"; and most of all, it often sounds like they can't turn the "big band" ship from it's inertial path, so huge amounts of spontaneity and creativity just aren't there.

If we're talking about giant stereotypes about years, IMO anything from '66 through '75 blows away '77. '76 is possibly even worse than '77, but with a few shows/moments that are actually more fun than most of what happened in '77. '78 is sloppier but also sometimes more interesting. '79 is pretty awful through most of it, very little I've heard redeems any of the shows from that year. All of the 80's were hit and miss, with some really great and interesting and even very energetic stuff mixed in with fairly "phone it in" performances. The '90s were even more hit and miss, with a heavier emphasis on the "miss" after the Hornsby years. I guess I should clarify that these opinions are about listening to the shows on recordings after the fact - I had a great time at many shows during these time periods, but it's different when you are actually there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.