Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2020 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Oct 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Hegelian dialectic?

2. ianuaditis

Without a Net seems to me much more representative of the era than SYF was, bang-up job by Phil on that one.

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thats the next pick?

ianuaditis likes this.
  4. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Yup. Announced a while ago.

SJR, Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

With bonus disc from 6/22/74 (also from the Jai Alai Fronton). Likely containing (not sure if this content has been specified):

Playin'
    China-->
    Rider
    Eyes-->
    Wharf Rat-->
    Sugar Magnolia

That's about 78 minutes.

6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Mind. Blowing.

7. US Blues

True, but look at the difference in raw material available to him for each project.

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thanks guys. i remember people were very excited for the 2nd quarter pick but it seems like a different world from when it was announced i forgot what was up next

warewolf95, GerryO, fishcane and 2 others like this.
  9. ianuaditis

The more i hear about daves picks, the more I think they should just do box sets a la E72 of every tour they did. Limit the quantity and make the all the music set if they sell.

6-22-74 doesn't deserve to be relegated to a partial release on an early-bird subscriber bonus disc.

10. US Blues

We'll have to take this up with Dave.

warewolf95 and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Re. Steal Your Face: This album was released about at the time I and my pals started listening to lots of GD music. I don’t necessarily remember being aware of when it was released, etc., but it was always there and we listened to it a lot. I can definitely remember (at some point, not immediately) concluding that the best thing about the double gatefold LP (this was the seventies after all) was the splendid photo spread from the Winterland shows and the earlier historical photos, which made it an optimal choice for cleaning weed (again, the seventies when the pot came with stems and seeds).

There was a time when I was maybe 13 or 14, talking with some kid about music and he asked me what kind of music would I describe the Dead? I thought about it, and knowing the band’s acid test history and having already been to a few shows, I said, I guess they are acid rock. And my friend was like, what the he!l are you talking about? He had heard SYF, so he said, Man, they’re country western! Now, that was about 20 years before people came up with the term Americana, and I remember grappling with trying to explain/figure out the concept that they were this amazing amalgam of American musical styles all shot through a lysergic cannon and regurgitated by a seven-headed cyclops.

Anyway, it’s been a thousand years since I’ve actually listened to SYF, but I will say, that to me is the quintessential version of US Blues.

12. Archtop

Having spent a fair bit of time in jai alai frontons in coastal connect-i-cut in the late '80s/early '90s (including the scab days; that was always fun going in the gate and ending up with a fruit salad on the windshield), I'm curious to hear how these late June 1974 shows sound. Some folks tend to bemoan soundboards for not capturing the ambiance of the venue, but keep in mind that in 1974, these venues were typically large, open air stadiums or concrete monoliths. Nothing's more of a concrete, oversized shoebox than a jai alai fronton, so I'm thinking that the WoS should sound mighty fine on this release.

13. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

The WoS sound is captured beautifully by Jerry Moore's tapes, of course. Is the character of the speaker system reflected by soundboards much, or at all?

14. Archtop

The tapes/releases do sound different from those from surrounding eras, but likely not as different as the WoS actually sounded (and the proto-WoS from late '73 blurs this difference a bit). That's my thought, anyway. The differences are likely due more to the amp configurations than the speakers themselves. But soundboards do contain different levels of ambient sound (some almost none, some a bit more), so there's likely no single answer.

And I'm just proselytizing venue acoustics, of which I know nothing other than "make my bass the loudest." :nyah:

15. US Blues

I recall an interview where Jeff Norman praised Kidd Candelario for his recording mixes from 1974. Jeff said that Kidd has a good ear for mixing and that he could have been a fine sound engineer. His recordings of the Wall do not capture much of the sonic space, yet I find that on a good system they have a spatial quality all their own.

Part of the 23 June 1974 show is in the So Many Roads box set and it sounds good. I suspect the upcoming release will have a bit more happening, as Jeff will have time to really polish this one for us.

16. Archtop

Listening now (I've had that for a few years, but never listened to the Dark Star Jam--> Spanish Jam--> U.S. Booze until just now because I've been waiting for an official release). Also, I'd like to think that my use of --> isn't somehow faulty once again. :rolleyes:

This segment does sound great and is mixed really well. Keith is Rhodes-engaged to be sure. :cool:

Edit: And Phil is peggin' the meters, a la the 10/17/74 WRS. Very :cool:

Further edit: the transition from Spanish jam to U.S. Booze is wonderfully concise and then they drag the intro into an extended jam like on 6/28/74. Really fresh improv. Lovely. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  17. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I hear what you are saying... but that would still be awesome. :laugh:

18. ianuaditis

In the 90s that was the only thing some of us used albums for. My grandmother had a turntable at her house; she was the only person I knew who still did.
    lol, I had meant to say 'that would still be a pretty great album, even missing the 'main event.'

WaterLemon likes this.
  19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The dog I grew up with when I was young was called "Hegel". He was a synthesis of several different breeds. I'm sure I got some strange looks running through the park yelling Hegel at the age of 6 and 7. :)

bzfgt, US Blues, anth67 and 2 others like this.
  20. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Oh man, this is going to be a great one!

21. US Blues

My folks were good friends with another couple who named their dog "Psyche." She was a sweet pup, yet I did not understand her name until years later.

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I would add to what the others said and point out that the phase canceling mics really would have worked against picking up much of the stage ambiance where the speakers could be more in play. Kidd really seemed to dial in the WOS mix by Europe, I think Lemieux says in some Movie outtakes the Band praised those tapes; and say the DiP 7 Ally Pally to me is real smooth/sophisticated and puts it all together as far as feeling where all the parts of the PA fit together more.

23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Anyone know who compiled Dead Set?

warewolf95 and ianuaditis like this.
  24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Jerry, I think.

warewolf95, uzn007 and ianuaditis like this.
  25. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

A more recent image of Miami Jai Alai

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.