Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2020 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Oct 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Investment?

frightwigwam likes this.
  2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The problem with Cornell is far too many Yo Yo's on the internet are always yelling CORNELL IS THE BEST DEAD SHOW EVER, which is patently absurd. Often they haven't listened to most shows from late 1973, or have some similar gap in their experiential understanding of the band.

3. Freebird

Yeah, I knew the hype wasn’t legit on that one and didn’t purchase it.

Matthew Tate and d3adf1sh like this.
  4. Freebird

Probably the worst cover in the series.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  5. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Jerry's vocals may not be the best, but that show has the magic for me. I figured it was going to be part of a '78 box or get a standalone release, I was really surprised when it was released as Dave's Picks 23.

6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Everybody's a critic.

7. Freebird

Man, you know it. It’s what defines our personal taste.

ARK, frightwigwam, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  8. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Meaning worth buying.

9. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Its a great show but im ambivalent cause I do not care for the setlist at all :)

10. Freebird

Compared to everything else that’s been released from 1974, it’s a pretty insignificant release.

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. Freebird

I’m willing to bet that 75% of the interest in this release and most the others is purely based on one’s perception of investment and one’s risk assessment of purchase losing value.

warewolf95 and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

If you HAD to pick a show, its not patently absurd for that show to be in the running, IMHO. The thing that's patently absurd is to think that you could label any show as the BEST EVER. That just makes no sense to me. Too many different shows and eras are good for different reasons.

As for divided opinions -- I would think opinions on Cornell probably divide between being a "very good show" and "an outstandingly good show". Unless you think all of 1977 simply sucks, I don't trust anyone's opinion who says Cornell is mediocre. I just don't.

Revolver, LucaB, ARK and 18 others like this.
  13. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

To be clear, I was referring to investment not as monetary, but musically. Enriching your collection and your soul. I don't see the harm in praising a show that is almost already sold out.

14. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I dunno, Cornell has had the reputation as "best show ever" for quite some time. Way before the internet became what it is today even. Is there a certain band wagon thinking to this? Probably. But I have an Entertainment Weekly from the '90s where they trumpet that show as the Deadhead fave, and it was one of the first tapes I ever acquired decades ago.

15. Freebird

I understand @citizensmurf . Capitalism is a concept so ingrained into us that a word like investment, which is so deeply rooted in a monetary construct, is often forgotten to be of such.

investment
    [inˈves(t)mənt]
    NOUN
    1. the action or process of investing money for profit or material result.
      "a debate over private investment in road-building”

16. Freebird

If I recall correctly, it did not take long for tapes of Cornell to hit the trading scene and the immediate reaction at Ground Zero was “BEST SHOW EVER”.

Matthew Tate and AlienRendel like this.
  17. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Right. That assessment is not some modern group think, rather it's always held that reputation.

ARK, notesofachord and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

That's probably because a lot of the other spring '77 shows hadn't circulated. With the release other '77 shows, we now know that Cornell '77 is great, but so was pretty much all of fall '77.

19. Freebird

It would be nice to have a timeline of when ‘77 tapes hit the streets.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Freebird

Unfortunately, most of Fall ‘77 soundboard recordings suffer from the drums being to high in the mix, the equivalent of someone stomping through the rose garden that was just planted.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

I meant to say all of SPRING '77 is awesome! Fall '77 is good, but spring is where the sweet spot is.

22. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Yeah, that's the main issue I have with something like 6-23-74. There are shows that are too big for Dave's Picks (e.g. Red Rocks 7-8-78) and should have a wider release that's not a limited edition.

They'd never have put Cornell out as a Dave's Pick, 1-22-78 is not in that category, as of 'shows that have had endless hype as one of their best ever moments for years,' but the 'Close Encounters' show was definitely a sought-after tape that I remember people talking up before I got my hands on it.

But I've come to terms with it, and (mostly) quit complaining about it. You can get all of them for free anyway.

I think 77 Grateful Dead is still better than most other music, even if it's one of my least preferred versions of Grateful Dead. And even I think Cornell is a great performance.

'Not patently absurd' is as high as I would personally rank it in the 'best ever' conversation, though.

Don't forget Deadheads were like the first people on the internet.

(aside: I just came the sad realization that I also got my first tapes decades ago now....)

Anyway, as long as there's been a crowd calling it the 'best show ever,' I'm sure there has always been a substantial coterie of dissenters.

'you can always tell a deadhead, but you can't tell them much.'

23. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Oh I agree. But sometimes hype exists for a reason... it’s a great show.

24. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

6/23/74 has been one of my favorite, "go to" shows for 40+ years. In the late 1970's I got a copy of Jerry Moore's aud and was spellbound ever since. After being able to listen to all the 1974 shows over the last two decades I still have 6/23 in my top three from 1974. YMMV.

25. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

It’s been a highly regarded show since at least the very early 80’s and I still have my first cassette aud copy I got not long after my first Garcia show in 81. I always enjoyed the quality recordings available for 77 even if I found the performances not as far out as I personally would like

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.