Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2021 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackstraw78, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AceBandage_73

AceBandage_73 Well-Known Member

The Chapel Hill shows from 93 are pretty great. Jerry's playing is pretty top notch in 93, but it fell off a cliff in 94. Spring and Summer 94, Jerry was terrible and while Fall was better, it's still over fluffed. If you really listen, his playing is not even close to being as good and crisp and fluid as it was in 93.

2. Andermatt

Andermatt Forum Resident

Branford…that’s pretty cool!

Crispy Rob likes this.
  3. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I brought my girlfriend at the time, who was a music major. Her favorite part was the middle part with all the different sounds.

trd and KCWhistle like this.
  4. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I so hope I’m on the same sheet of music as this post when I add to the recent bring the un-initiated to a show trend when, maybe ‘92 some friends who are girls, certainly somewhat from my nudging, tagged along to the Cap Center... and the blood curdling mostly befuddled 7k kHz lady scream, and subsequent stares from the surrounding three upper deck sections to hearing... what the hell that instrument?

trd and scribbs like this.
  5. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

The show itself was mild compared to what was outside. I'll take Cap Center any day.

bmoregnr likes this.
  6. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I brought my brother for 12/15/94. Floor seats behind the taper's section. Yuck. I bought a bootleg. Yuck.

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. Andermatt

Andermatt Forum Resident

Based on my memory of my listening at the time, I think your assessment of a major decline is an accurate one. So why did this happen? Was Jerry so physically ill that he just wasted away? I don’t think his playing suffered nearly as much in earlier years when he was also very ill. Few would argue with that.

bzfgt likes this.
  8. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

He had something going on where he couldn't feel his hands or something, I remember reading?

9. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Sorry for blocking your view. ;)

Crispy Rob, trd and US Blues like this.
  10. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Of the teleprompters?

11. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Until the Dew. Jerry aborted the finale jam. The only time I ever booed at a Dead show.

But he made up for it next night with the 15-minute Shakedown opener. That show was great, and would make a nice '93 release. Handsome Cabin Boy Space...!

12. Andermatt

Andermatt Forum Resident

I’ll have to listen to those shows. At the time I thought 3/16 was a near perfect show (in context). I wasn’t a seasoned head or anything though. I was 18. I can tell you with certainty though the next night wasn’t nearly as good!

trd, anth67 and uzn007 like this.
  13. anth67

Ha!

Andermatt likes this.
  14. anth67

For what it's worth, no one but me and my brother seemed to notice, everyone (but us) cheered when Sugar Mag started up. Jerry had flubbed the final verse of Dew, and instead of rolling with it like he usually did, it seemed to pull him out of the song and he wouldn't re-engage. I remember Bob kept looking over at him, wondering when the jam was going to kick in. He finally had to give up and start Sugar Mag.

Projected fantasy or not, we really did feel like the Shakedown opener next night was a conscious making amends.

(and forgiveness was swift :))

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    oldjollymon, Crispy Rob, ARK and 7 others like this.
  15. Andermatt

Andermatt Forum Resident

I believe you! You know your stuff. I remember the Shakedown too.

One thing I noticed about 3/16 is they only did one new tune. So Many Roads…the best one. And the opening Jack Straw/Row Jimmy/Minglewood is a great opening sequence imo. Pretty unusual too.

Time to look at the set list for 3/17…

Crispy Rob and trd like this.
  16. anth67

It's a good list. I'm an Eternity fan, mind you....

Your opinion's as valid as mine, I'm recalling 28-year-old impressions, too ; ) You make me wanna revisit 3/16 for the first time since. 3/17 I've had off the archive for some years and it holds up IMO.

Andermatt and trd like this.
  17. trd

trd Forum Resident

fixed that for you ;)

ARK, warewolf95, Andermatt and 7 others like this.
  18. anth67

When Wolf Bros busted it out here a couple years ago, I think I was the only one that recognized it, much less that was psyched to hear it.

Has some space jam factor, just sayin'....

warewolf95, Andermatt and trd like this.
  19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm glad I never had to boo at a Dead show, but while I was "I wish I'd stayed home or at the very least in the parking lot" dismayed at the Knick in March '91, I'm not hearing the vocal flub you're referencing on the 3/16/93 Dew. Can you time-stamp it for me? To me it sounds like Jerry's struggling a bit, but simply doesn't have the energy for a big final build-up. Probably one of the most anti-climactic Dews ever.

relisten.net/grateful-dead/1993/03/16/morning-dew?source=104669

Andermatt likes this.
  20. trd

trd Forum Resident

It has definitely grown on me, just couldn’t resist that setup :D

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle and anth67 like this.
  21. anth67

Just relistened. The middle solo is nice 'n hot. But he sings the wrong verse afterwards: "Where have all the people gone." He realizes it and starts to trail off, then goes with it. So he's then got to sing the real final verse after. He actually does play a few leads then (more than I remembered), but it soon feels like he's trying to retreat and hide behind the band. Who attempt to pick it up (most notably Vince), but to no avail. He simply stops playing leads, and clearly isn't going to approach the mic for the last "guess it doesn't matter."

The vibe I'm getting now is sadder. Did singing the wrong verse (which certainly didn't have to be a big deal) really take him out of the moment he'd been enjoying a minute before during the solo ~ as I perceived on the night ~ or did something internal just snap him out of the zone at the solo's end, causing the verse error and taking him downhill from there? It doesn't feel good : (

Gosh, the rest of this show (14-minute Uncle John's) looks really nice on paper, I guess I just shelved it in my memory after the Dew incident. Am definitely gonna check more of it out.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  22. Archtop

I mean, who knows what Jer was thinking, right? I didn't even notice that it was the wrong verse. In previous days, Jerry would have made up for it with a killer outro, but something prevented him from doing that. Aside from his personal state of mind, we unfortunately know what that something was.

ARK, Andermatt, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  23. anth67

I didn't know at the time, I thought he was just being lazy :cry: Given he was playing well at these shows overall. At my last one two years later, though, it was obvious and it felt bad in my stomach. That night, I'd have begged for an old-fashioned Jerry flub.

Archtop likes this.
  24. Archtop

Yeah, I continued to acquire tapes post SPAC, 6/27/85, which should, by all accounts, have been my last show. I had graduated from WPI in 4 years (average is 5 years) a week or two earlier and that was my plan. Move on, but still listen. Problem was, the tapes I was getting just got worse and worse. I thought I had it bad seeing shows from '82-'85 (long regarded as a down period give or take some months), but the shows I was getting from '91-'92 were downright depressing.

So, I cut bait in mid '92 and suddenly decided that I needed to learn double bass in November '92. Not sure where that came from, but disillusion with GoGD had a role in there somewhere. So, some positive spin, at least for me. That lead to many new musical opportunities. And here I am again; back on the bus.

ARK, warewolf95, US Blues and 6 others like this.
  25. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I used to know a guy in Boston who played in a Bob Weir cover band called Eternity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.