Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2021 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackstraw78, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

…and a Dicks Fixed series of updated downloads too.

2. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Step away from the bong, Xer.

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

What? That's the most cogent thing you've said in two days. :p

ARK, warewolf95, uzn007 and 5 others like this.
  4. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Yes.

Exactly.

Me too!

They sure did. :thumbsup:

unravelled and steveharris like this.
  5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

6. Is there a patch at the beginning of Truckin' on the 9/7 bonus disc, too? Listening to it today on headphones I noticed there's a change in the sound at 0:52 ("...typical city..."). It's odd because the bit that follows isn't exactly lining up with what I'm hearing on the aud or sbd on the archive. Compare Jerry right after "just won't let you be": "no, no, no" on the Archive.org versions, but just "no, no" on the bonus disc version. Am I crazy?

uzn007 and bzfgt like this.
  7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I would buy the first three Dicks on vinyl if I had the dosh.

ODShowtime likes this.
  8. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I would love if the reissued the all music edition of the full E'72 tour.

9. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

According to the GD Twitter feed some "exciting announcements" this week. Hoping for a '72 box or Alpine '89 box but not holding my breath.

Edit - I'd add March '77 Winterland box

10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I hope not. I'm a huge 1971 booster -- especially the later months, with Keith -- but we've had a lot of material from this period released already. (And a lot of early-to-mid-1971 with the 50th Anniversary releases).

11. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

True, but it seems to be a go-to for Dave. If he does go back to fall 71 let's have 11/7/71. But like I said :shrug:. The only prediction that I got right was 2/26/77 and then only because it was pretty obvious.

Matthew Tate and uzn007 like this.
  12. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Didn't Dave confirm several months ago that they were working on a 1980 box set from the Dead Set/Reckoning reels?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Nobody believes this because that material has been released so often and is, frankly, quite boring.

footlooseman and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. HonestDenver

HonestDenver Forum Resident

What material has been released so often? They only have Dead Set and Reckoning from that fall tour... I would love a couple full shows from it. But agree, after listening to the latest Warfield double acoustic release... It's the same show but a little worse than the "best of" we got with Reckoning... But a full show from the Warfield and a Full Show from Radio City as a 6 disc release would be pretty cool.

footlooseman likes this.
  16. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

I will say Spring 93 is really pretty good. The Rosemont shows in particular. Things started to fall off a cliff potentially earlier than 94 or they were at least less consistent. 94/95 you really got to dig to find the good stuff. One good thing about 94/95 is there were quite a few new tunes and covers during that time so hitting that era from time to time is still worth it for me.

17. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

I saw shows during all of those years. From a perspective of actual shows I saw not recordings.

1990 Amazing shows with Brent and the first Vince show was amazing too! Second Vince show not quite there but still good and then I didn't see any more after that in 90.

1991 The shows I saw I thought were great. Sandstone 91 and Oakland 91. So in my view they were continuing to pump hard.

1992 a chink in the armor developing but still some great shows. The worst one I remember was first night at Soldier Field. Jerry also sat in with Steve Miller that night and virtually nobody at least in my section was even paying attention to it!

1993 Spring Rosemont shows fantastic. Fall Richfield shows still fun but not top tier

1994 Officially falling off a cliff for Jerry. The other band members stepped up though and carried things to some extent. The Denver shows that year seemed to have a dark vibe even though the weather was awesome for Dec!

1995 Jerry in trouble he would occasionally rally but the shows were mostly carried by the other band members.

18. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

If I recall he tweeted a photo of Reckoning on his turntable and someone commenting that it would be a great box theme....He responded "exactly"...I may have it off a bit but I think that's what started the speculation but seemed like he could have been joking around (or not).

Really don't know much about those shows beyond Dead Set / Reckoning but I'd be down w/a box from those shows. Those shows were well regarded right?

19. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Reckoning, Reckoning Bonus CD material, Warfield acoustic release and Dead Set cover that tour pretty well. I was being a little tongue-in-cheek, but I consider that era pretty subpar for electric Dead, I doubt I would buy a megabox from ‘80.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  20. A box of the April 71 Betty Boards to tie in with the Skullf*ck anniversary would make a lot of sense. Which, of course, means it won't happen.

21. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Hinted yes, confirmed no.

ARK, Matthew Tate, trd and 1 other person like this.
  22. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Shakedown Stream on Wednesday, an opportune time to announce the new Boxset, Dave's 39 and Meetup At The Movies?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I selfishly kinda hope there is no Meetup this year because the likelihood of me being able to go is nearly zero. My awesome local theater, which has always hosted the Meetup and had damn near a full house the last few years prior to 2020, was a victim of COVID and has closed down. It's very likely to come back soon because it's an extremely popular theater in a killer location, allegedly many bids have already come in to buy it, but doubtful anything would happen that fast.

Would be a good time to announce the box set though, for sure.

24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ark box!

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob, ARK, giantleech and 11 others like this.
  25. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

In my experience, Reckoning was always well-regarded, but as others have commented, between that album, the expanded version and the RSD release from a couple of years ago, the acoustic material seems pretty tapped-out.

I've never found Dead Set to be held in the same regard as the Dead's early-70s live albums. In my years of heavy tape trading/CD trading/Bit-torrenting (approx. 1986 through the mid-2000's) I don't recall any of the electric sets from that run being either widely-circulated or held up as exceptional.

There may be non-musical reasons for this (e.g. maybe it was harder to tape in those small venues?) but the main upshot is that unless this hypothetical box includes some smokin' electric material, it seems like it could be a pretty hard sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.