Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2021 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackstraw78, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

No.

Eaglesfan9, IcedNine and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

It was released on the cassette version of In the Dark as a bonus track. Maybe a B-side, too?

3. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Who knows, maybe they will do a 2 CD here and 'save' the disc for another 4 disc 4th quarter release. I'm not expecting that but maybe.

The source I have of this show is pretty solid. May go peepin for that Aud tape later though.

Master Soundboard Cassette (Dan Healy)-1st Generation 7 Inch Reel @ 7.5 ips 1/4 Track(Dick L)-Tascam 122MK111 Cassette Deck-Technics 1506 Reel 2 Reel)

Analog To Digital-Reel Playback on Otari MX5050-JVC SV-3700 DAT Deck @48KHz (Rob E)
    DAT x Zero-DAT x One JVC 3700-JVC 3700 via AES cable

DAT x ONE (JW) play back on a Sony PCM R-500-Digital Audio Labs Card deluxe-WAV @ 16/48KHz
    Editing(Adobe Audition CC)-Mastering & Processing(iZotope Ozone 6)-FLAC encoding(dBpoweramp)-Tagging(Tag & Re-name)
    Jim Wise:April 2'nd 2015

Uncle Miles and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I totally get not being jazzed about a particular era or show, that makes total sense. That said, I don't get folks saying that any particular Pick made them "regret the subscription". That baffles me. Even with an off pick, there have always been a guaranteed gem or two per year that I would have hated to miss out on. And if you don't like a particular pick, sell it! The absolute worst you could do is exactly make your money back, but more likely actually spin a profit out of it. Win win!

5. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Hey, I got my shipping notice!

6. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Not likely, but if they do I hope it's from 1968-1969.

7. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Holy crap for real?! I never noticed.

Matthew Tate, US Blues and IcedNine like this.
  8. MHam

MHam Give Me Bass Relief

More or less. And it's a cassette. And I'm getting old and coming to the realization that I have more Grateful Dead concerts on CD than I have time left to listen to them and this pick is not going to be competitive in that queue. And I've been debating on re-upping the subscription. So when Archtop asked "who in their right mind doesn't want this?" I blurted out "me!" I was only speaking for myself.

9. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

Anyone else out like to play guitar (or other instruments) along with Dead shows? I was playing along with H>S>F from DaP 29 today after a couple puffs. What a way to spend half an hour on a rainy day.

Scarlet>Fire and Lovelight are also awesome to jam along with.

10. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Man, all I can hang with are like '72 PITBs. Bust out the wah wah and go for it. I should try some Other Ones how hard could that be?

11. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

The basic structure’s usually pretty simple and the internet’s busting with tabs, chords and YouTube lessons.
    Lovelight is basically A>D, as is Franlin’s Tower (D>A). But look at what they do with it! Any musician(s) who can keep my attention for 15 minutes playing essentially a two chord song is beyond description. And nobody keeps my attention like the GoGD.

I’ve actually noticed improvement in my playing after playing along with the Dead. I haven’t tried to play with PITB or TOO but I will now.

12. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

It was the b-side on the ‘Touch Of Grey’ single, IIRC. I wonder how many of those were sold - Touch was a huge hit, but CDs had pretty much taken over by that point.

13. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I had the cassingle!

14. Jack_Straw

Oh yeah, how could I forget about the cassette single?!! I bet they sold a LOT more of those than the vinyl in 1987.

15. uzn007

It was a Top 10 hit, so I think they sold a few copies (although Wikipedia doesn't say it's a Gold Record, so presumably fewer than a million).

Matthew Tate and AlienRendel like this.
  16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I think gold is a half mil

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. IcedNine

IcedNine Squat Ugly Little Yeller Dog

I noodle around on ukulele and/or harmonica with em all the time! Fully agree.

notesofachord and Eyes74 like this.
  18. uzn007

Used to be a million. I remember as a kid:
    Gold single = 1,000,000 copies sold;

Gold album = $1,000,000 sold.
    Platinum album = 1,000,000 copies sold

Apparently they changed it in 1989: RIAA certification - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    bzfgt and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

I was lent audience tapes of this show some 30 years ago from an east coast dead head. He also lent me the Boise show around the same time which I felt was somewhat lackluster. This show has always been a favorite of mine and extremely happy this is a pick.

20. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

My thoughts pretty much

bzfgt likes this.
  21. Jack_Straw

Speaking of ‘Brother Esau’, I was just poking around dead.net looking for info on the new DaP, and I see that the featured GDH is an old episode from 2003 that has Bob Weir demos from 1984 of Throwing Stones, HIAB, and Esau. Anyone heard these? I never have - can’t listen now, but I’m going to check it out later. Some tasty sounding ‘69 on this show too. Grateful Dead Grateful Dead Hour No. 755

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

The flattop is incorrect. Pretzels are best when served from a stolen grocery store shopping cart with a pile of lit charcoal in the baby seat.
    [​IMG]

akadruss, ARK, garymc and 23 others like this.
  23. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

The grocery stores here put locks on the wheels so you cannot steal them. Man, are we missing out!

24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

My dad and I had season tickets for the Jets and I went to pretty much every game until I left for college in 1990. A shopping cart pretzel on the way out of the stadium was a regular move.

25. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Unfortunately I never really escaped the blues box so a lot of what Jerry does is beyond me.

One benefit of marinating in the Dead for years now is I do feel my lead improvs are more lyrical than before. I feel like I can speak in sentences now instead of just words, with an occasional paragraph. Jerry kicks out whole novels of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.