Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2021 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackstraw78, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I found the reason/issue in our different takes on this. When I received my replacement credit card I went to my order number link on dead.net and it said "processing". This is why I didn't think I was charged yet. So, as I explained, I called and wrote them explaining the card I used was stolen and needed to update my payment method. As I explain, both in emails and by phone, even after me somewhat complaining over the silly inability to change payment method given its delay in charging me, they led me to cancel my order, create a new one and they credited me the difference to retain my early bird pricing. So with all the push back from you guys, it got me to thinking that the "processing" notification on the dead.net may have been referring to waiting to ship and not actually charging me. I looked up my old credit card and sure enough, they did charge and receive payment on 10/23/20 and after cancelling yesterday, I don't see how they can credit me back, when the old card doesn't exist anymore; so now I need to waste more time with dead.net to figure that out.

Sorry for the misinformation, but in all fairness, the folks at dead.net are the morons here as they could of explained to me payment was already received and the "processing" I'm seeing at the web site refers solely to sending the item out. :crazy:

I mean what is wrong with them? Look at what they wrote me yesterday about my original order below.., but despite what it says, my credit cared was absolutely charged on 10/23.

"Hello Zafu

Thank you for contacting us.

In processing your order, we attempted to confirm funds from your credit card, but the request was declined and the order was unfortunately cancelled as a result. Please note no funds were removed from the card as this only occurs once the order goes through.

If you are interested in re-ordering with a different payment method, please go directly to the store when possible. We apologize for any inconvenience caused and hope you have a great day.

Thank You,
    Dead.net Store Support"

Zafu

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    US Blues, adamos and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

As a side note, at least based on my own stolen card experiences a credit can still be applied to a canceled card if a replacement card was issued by the same bank/company (it just gets applied to your same account but new credit card number).

Zafu, US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  3. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Thanks adamos. This is what I get for trying to be proactive. :shrug:

adamos likes this.
  4. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

If "moving warehouses" took them a year, the mind boggles at how they'll go changing software. Yikes.

5. Bigthunder

Bigthunder Forum Resident

So....what are people's guesses as far as 38, 39 and 40 for years?

Here are mine:

38 - 72
    39 - 90
    40 - 69

6. John AB

John AB Forum Resident

A 69 followed by a 93-95 followed by an 85

I think Dave is trying to expand people’s horizons about and they can’t release only the good years - or they will run out. 73, 74 and 76 just had boxed sets so I think they are out.

Matthew Tate and Doggiedogma like this.
  7. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

I'l love to see more 1970-- in fact, more from '67-70 in general. Also a late-78 or early '79, something with the band doing "Shakedown St', a song which i think has been on no dave's pix, ever? (i think? someone know different?)

After that, i have to say, selfishly, it'd be cool to have a release from one of the 14 or so GD shows I was at, between '79 and '94. (some of which have been partially or completley released on a roadtrips or dick's series, actually!)

8. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a ‘90’s show in the mix next year, but if so I think the other three would all be ‘70’s or ‘60’s.

Matthew Tate and bzfgt like this.
  9. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

There's been 1969 Fillmore releases for the last few years, I'd guess that there won't be that year in Dave's 2021 Picks. Maybe '68? We may be due for a '72 this year. Since they upped the subscription numbers for 2021, I'd wager there will only be 1 show from the 80s or 90s.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

What 69 releases from the last few years ?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

2/27 and 2/28/69 released on vinyl

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

And 2/11/69. I think Dave said 4 of these 69 Fillmore releases so there may be another coming in 2021. Not sure if these would affect what years Dave chooses, but I'd probably take it into consideration.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. aoxomoxoa

see I don't count those as they were part of the Fillmore box from a while back.
    I don't think we've ever gotten a 1960s release from Dave have we?

Matthew Tate and frightwigwam like this.
  14. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

At least two 1969 shows in the Dave's Picks series, IIRC.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Dave's 10 - 12/12/69
    2013 Bonus Disc was 12/21/69
    2014 Bonus Disc was 12/11/69

While it's not "60s" per se there are a number of releases from Jan and Feb 1970.

Matthew Tate and aoxomoxoa like this.
  16. John AB

John AB Forum Resident

I had a long drive today alone so I put Cornell may 77 to see if I could warm up to it. I’ve never gone to it as a “rotation” concert like so many other May releases.

It’s a good show but if I didn’t know it was Cornell I simply would never play it. I decided it’s the set list which is underwhelming to me.

I like the Scarlet Fire - but it doesn’t jump out at me as anywhere near the best. Morning Dew was excellent.

What jumps out at me is how relaxed they are and they don’t seem to miss a note. Is this why people like it? Technical perfection ?

I probably have 50 shows I’d play before this one, but I’m very set list driven.

17. HonestDenver

HonestDenver Forum Resident

I love this about Grateful Dead. Not every deadhead likes everything. We all have different tastes. This show is what accelerated my obsession...

I didn't know that it was held in such high regard when I first heard it. It was a bootleg vinyl that seems to be everywhere now... but had this killer cover... I was just dabbling in the Grateful Dead at the time and the price was like $28 bucks for 2 LPs and what looked like a solid set on paper.. Bear in mind it was only the first half of the show... VOL.1 is what the sticker said. I had no idea at all.. So I grabbed it and was immediately taken back by how good it sounded. Warm full nothing missing in terms of tones...

At the time when I only had Dead Set, Reckoning and a Starbucks Greatest Hits collection... the actual sound meant everything to me.. Any other tapes that I had tried to check out including dicks picks were just severely lacking, at the time, in terms of quality... It distracted me from enjoying it. So to have this really awesome sounding show with killer performances... I couldn't stop listening... It's like I finally GET IT! I heard Jerry's tone and style of playing front and center.. This awesome mix and separation of instruments.. I could hear the drums and bass really well.... I had to find Vol 2 immediately....

I took a picture of the record and called a friend who is a huge deadhead, and asked what the hell did I discover.. Did he know about this? He filled me in that this was widely considered the holy grail of shows... He explained Betty Boards and why it sounded so good, and that I had picked up some unofficial bootleg and probably been ripped off, but wtf is what on vinyl so enjoy...

That's one of many steps that got me to where I am now.. Definitely looking for the next step in the journey, but I don't really know I'm taking them until I look back...

18. aoxomoxoa

Ah yeah good old Thelma.

19. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I had to laugh at the GD email I got today. "This Grateful Dead item is going fast" was the headline. The items? The Workingman's Dead and American Beauty Angels Share downloads, which I keep thinking about buying. I guess they're running out of bits! (I'd buy them if I could get the CD quality FLAC files but don't want to deal with converting ALAC, and certainly don't need to pay more than twice as much for high resolution FLAC.)

20. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

^^^^^^^

This fellow has a discerning ear.

21. Steely Don

Steely Don Forum Resident

One of Dave’s twitter posts today suggests he is putting the finishing touches on Vol. 38 plus bonus disk. The 50th American Beauty picture disk is on his turntable next to the disks. Could this be a clue?

adamos and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

It’s definitely strange that 16-bit is only offered in ALAC and 24-bit only in FLAC. I use dBpoweramp to convert ALAC to FLAC which is simple and easy but I’d have preferred to be able to just buy FLAC.

What’s also funny is the 16-bit American Beauty Angel’s Share downloads that I bought turned out to be 24/96 ALAC which wasn’t even a purchase option. :)

superstar19 and Al Gator like this.
  23. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

@lemieuxdavid
    I’ve been working with Jeffrey Norman on the @GratefulDead's Dave’s Picks Vol. 38. This show is spectacular, played exceptionally well. The Bonus Disc for DP subscribers is possibly my favourite DP Bonus Disc. If you’re on the fence about subscribing, this Bonus Disc is hot.

[​IMG]

laf848, SteveFff, Dignan2000 and 12 others like this.
  24. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

That sounds like basically every show Mr. Lemieux has ever talked about. :) Nonetheless I’m still very curious and looking forward to the announcement.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

If Dave is saying the upcoming bonus disc is better than 22 June 1974- Jai Alai, he's either found something spectacular, or he's being a salesman. I hope he's not being a salesman.

SteveFff, KCWhistle, budwhite and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.