Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2021 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackstraw78, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I dunno, man. That dude looks like a narc to me.

2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

He does seem kinda straight-laced for a FE operation.

3. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

That's 4 years of picks sorted out. If only...

4. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Fine list, with many shows that could stand to be released (Ark ‘69 still needs to be a full box though).

Anyhow, I though the first Madison ‘73 was not in the vault?

By contrast, 10/25/73 apparently is in the vault, as Dave — as I’ve mentioned before — spoke about it (And acknowledged Dick’s love for it) being a possible future release when he played it on TDIGDH a couple of months ago.

I still have hope that 10/25/73 will be Dave’s 38 next year.

ARK, adamos, zephyr25 and 8 others like this.
  5. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

The only thing wrong with releasing 10-25-73 is that it then negates an overdue October 73 Box Set! :^)

I recall there were some big reel cuts in 10-25-73. I believe both 7" reels and 10" reels made that night though so assuming all are back in the Vault it should be able to be put together nicely.

I recall this show being one of the more mellow and spacey shows of the era.

6. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

We could use a 70,71 or 79 box set...

7. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Some big cuts for sure, in what circulates. It surprised me when Dave suggested it was a likely candidate for future release. I can only guess it means they’ve got it all on the vault now.

Jimbobwe likes this.
  8. US Blues

13 December 1990- Bill McNichols Arena, Denver, aka. "Big Mac"

Another hot Dead show on a cold Winter's night. The Morning Dew peters out in strange fashion, but the rest of this show is hot.

A spacious night, and perhaps my favorite version of Eyes that I saw in concert. Not just because I recognized it from the first note, there was a feel to it that captured the feeling of Winter on the edge of the Rockies. Hard to express in words, save for the very lyrics of the song:

the heart has its seasons,
    its evenings,
    and songs of its own

9. US Blues

Oops, I posted this in the wrong thread. :(

10. David Beckwith

Woo-hoo!!! 9-8-73 with bonus disc and filler from the night before! Killer stuff and a very underrated pair of shows. Can't wait for 38!!!

11. US Blues

Where are you seeing this? Excellent news!

PS- These shows are not underrated, just lesser-known.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

email from dead.net

With the excitement we're all feeling about the Grateful Dead's 2021 Dave's Picks subscriptions, focusing so far only on the first of the year, Vol. 37 from 4/15/78 in Williamsburg, VA, we've been keeping Vol. 38 under wraps so as not to overwhelm you with too much great news at once. Now, though, the time has come to reveal DAVE'S PICKS VOL. 38: the magnificent complete show from 9/8/73 at Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, NY. This is a show that has been a long time coming in the Dead's archival release series. It, and the previous night, was the first run of live shows the Dead played after spending most of the previous month at the Plant Studio in Sausalito, CA, recording WAKE OF THE FLOOD. As soon as they were done mixing their new record, the Dead hit the road for the first leg of the Fall Tour of 1973 with a pair of sold out shows at the home of the New York Islanders.

When I first started working for the Grateful Dead in 1999, and was fortunate to work alongside Dick Latvala, who became my friend and mentor, I was turned on to 9/8/73 by Dick. He spoke so eloquently of this terrific show, certain that it would be released on CD some day as part of the Dick's Picks series. In Dick's own words, during a rundown of his thoughts on 1973 Grateful Dead, he said "That takes us up to the September run. Well right away 9/8/73 sticks out begging for attention. Even the night before (9/7/73) had fairly thrilling versions of "TLEO,""Jack Straw,""PITB," "WRS->Let it Grow." There is not a weak moment from "Truckin'" through the ending tune "Sugar Magnolia." Even as good as this night must sound, the following night things really explode. I really can't put my finger on it because from the songlist, there is nothing apparently compelling. Well, you guys will soon find out what I mean, since I intend to release this one whenever the time is right." For more than 20 years, I've listened to this show many times and have thought the exact same thing: every moment is exceptional. When you're looking for an example of the Grateful Dead when they were fully "on," firing on all cylinders, this is the one to check out. Now, coming in 2021, we're thrilled to make this show, and Dick's wishes, a reality. This is genuine, prime, A+ Grateful Dead music, one of the best nights of what is widely considered one of the best years. Dick, this one's for you!

As Dick alludes, the previous night on 9/7/73, features some exceptional music, and we're so pleased to include almost two hours of this show to go along with 9/8/73: more than a half hour is included on DAVE'S PICKS VOL. 38 with "Bird Song" and "Playing In The Band" included as bonus tracks, and for Dave's Picks 2021 subscribers, the always-incredible Bonus Disc featuring almost 80 minutes from this great show, including the first live "Let It Grow" (the first complete live Weather Report Suite was played the next night, and is, of course, included on DAVE'S PICKS VOL. 38) and the aforementioned "Truckin'" jam. Also to note: included on the Bonus Disc is the complete 18+ minute "Eyes Of The World" from 9/7/73, which has previously been released in an edited form on the 2003 WAKE OF THE FLOOD reissue. This Bonus Disc is my favourite in the series so far, and after 10 years and 10 Bonus Discs, all of them excellent, that's saying a lot. There's a lot of great music on this Bonus Disc! It's exclusive to subscribers, so if you want to hear one of the best jams of 1973 and have it as part of your collection, you'll want to subscribe.

13. David Beckwith

Yes, exactly. No one ever really talks about them, but they have some very unique playing held within them...and the first Dead shows with The Wolf!

Crispy Rob, SteveFff, ARK and 3 others like this.
  14. US Blues

Thank you, I have not yet received that email. The internet burro must be lame today.

15. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I blame the big Google/Gmail snafu earlier today...

footlooseman and US Blues like this.
  16. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Whew, glad I resubscribed! Was on the fence but would have been bummed if I missed this bonus disc.

Doggiedogma, Zafu, KCWhistle and 3 others like this.
  17. US Blues

There was a patched and pitched 8 Sept 1973 that came into circulation a few years back. That is a tremendous show!!!

SteveFff, fishcane, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  18. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

I would love a Keith & Donna era 79 box set. Some great shows during the last month and a half of their time with the GD.

19. Hicks

Hicks Forum Resident

Awesome, glad I subscribed, sounds like it will be an excellent release.

20. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I don’t have no email either. I must be awaiting news via carrier pigeon.

21. David Beckwith

Yep! I recall both nights had some poorly timed reel flips. Maybe they had patch reels? Although not sure they were using them this tour. If they did we probably would have seen 9-11-73 come out by now. Seems like the only thing holding that show back is the very sad cut during the Dew crescendo.

Doggiedogma and US Blues like this.
  22. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Australia Post Email Innovations handed it off to this guy.
    [​IMG]

23. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Sweet! First release of a live Sing Your Blues Away? Can't wait! It's for gems like this that subscription is a no-brainer year after year! Wow. 2021 looking up already!

24. Jimbobwe

Jimbobwe Forum Resident

Well I’m pretty happy with the news...

25. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I've never been a big fan of the horns shows, TBH, but I don't think I've actually heard either of these before, so I'm looking forward to having my opinion changed.

footlooseman and Doggiedogma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.