Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2021 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackstraw78, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Hope your daughter’s move goes well, and that for your and all of our sakes it will be safer and easier to travel soon!

Cheers,
    CR

Zafu likes this.
  2. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

Subscribed every year for Dave’s after having to buy some of the Road Trips bonus disks from eBay etc. Great deal !

Matthew Tate and uzn007 like this.
  3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I didn’t compare yet but usually the vinyl sounds warmer. The Dead CDs sound amazing though.

4. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

I'm in as usual for the sub but it's always a gamble and frankly 2020 didn't pan out well for the series imo with two back to back eighties releases - seriously wtf? They better deliver a 1972 release next year.

ODShowtime likes this.
  5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Worked out perfectly imho, and 72 is my favorite year

dtuck90, giantleech, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  6. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

You can’t argue with the ‘77 and ‘74 releases though, and the fact we’re getting a full “bonus” show with the latest one. I think this year has been great for the Dave’s Picks series.

I’d rather see a show from ‘68, ‘69, ‘73, ‘74, ‘78 and ‘79 released before 1972. Even better (for me), an outlier from the 80’s.

LucaB, Crispy Rob, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  7. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I subscribe to Dave's Picks every year. It would be fun to see some shows from 1970-71. When I got interested in the GD 20 years ago, I quickly became all 68-69, 72-74, 77-78, all the time. Now I like the different flavor of the 70-71 shows.

8. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I've purchased and/or subscribed to every Dick's Pick, Road Trips, and Dave's Picks, since Dick's Picks 1 was released in 1993. Of course, I'm in for the 2021 subscription!

9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

what do you mean? daves picks has released like 6 picks from 1970 and 1972 and with bonus discs almost 2 more shows

uzn007 likes this.
  10. Crosseyed

when was the last 1972 show? Berkeley the one they f'ed up? if so that was like 10 years ago (in dead years)

Pelts, Uncle Miles and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Crosseyed and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Matthew Tate

yes daves 24. how did they mess it up?

Crosseyed likes this.
  13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Sound issues, especially Phil’s bass. See the main thread from my “review” back in August.

The Grateful Thread

Matthew Tate and Crosseyed like this.
  14. Crosseyed

2017? Really? There ought to be a law against that much time passing without a 1972 release.

15. John AB

John AB Forum Resident

I’m a 2020 subscriber - do we get an email to re-up for 2021 or so we just have to go to dead.net ? I’ve seen no email

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

It’s in an email. “2020 Almanac is Here”.

ScramMan2, uzn007 and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

If you sign up to get emails you will. Otherwise go to Dead.net to subscribe for next year, they'll give you the option of being on the email list when you order.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Matthew Tate

just go to the bands website and buy it

19. Hicks

Hicks Forum Resident

Over three years and 13 picks with no 72 does seem like it’s time for another one.

20. Matthew Tate

agreed

21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yeah ok, so it’ll be 4 years (by the time next years’ Picks), and that was the last release of 2017. I think we’re probably due 1972.

22. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

I’m holding out hope that next year’s box set will be sourced from Fall 72. Would be especially excellent if the “anchor” show is NYE. Because, yes it’s definitely been a long while without a new 72 show. I'm not complaining though, even if I didn’t really want two 80s releases back to back, any year of releases that includes 6/23/74 is a huge success!

adamos, Dahabenzapple, uzn007 and 7 others like this.
  23. Aardvark23

Aardvark23 Forum Resident

Evidently I am the one person in the universe that really liked Phil’s bass sound on Dave’s 24. Of course I am a bass player that really, really likes Phil’s playing, so I was thrilled to hear it be so prodominant in the mix.

24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I wasn’t aware of the problems people had with it either. I noticed it being very prominent and commented on it, then was pointed to the issue. It doesn’t bother me, either. My neighbours might disagree, though! ;)

25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

After the ‘78 Pick, I’d still love to see Public Auditorium, Cleveland, OH, 06/12/73 get the full Dave’s treatment next year.

A Primal Dead Pick would be awesome, too. That’s three.

Then maybe a 1972 show (if they don’t go down the box set route).

I’d be surprised if there’s another 80’s show next year.

:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.