Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2021 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackstraw78, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah I’m with you. I really don’t hear what everyone else is no matter how I listen to it.

martinb4, Aardvark23 and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Hicks

Hicks Forum Resident

Yeah been a while since we got a 71 too and ages since we got a 60s pick, although Daves 30 is only a 70s pick by two days.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Time for a 60s box. Way overdue.

4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

^ Put on a set of 'phones and listen to it; it becomes much more obvious (I do 90+% of my listening on 'phones). There is clearly a fundamental and an octave below that (you know, per se), but it's more noticeable in certain passages than in others (see Black Peter and The Other One).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  5. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

I'm really not at all concerned as to whether shows get released as Dave's Picks, box sets, one offs, or 50th Anniversary bonus disks.

6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Defending sonic purity, right on cue! :righton:

Crispy Rob and Archtop like this.
  7. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

8. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I’m sure I’d hear it then but maybe that’ll make me hear on my speakers and then no more pick 24 for me. I’ll stay on the ignorance is bliss track for this one.

9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Certainly a valid approach. I'm more of a pit-bull on stuff like this. Just my nature.

This more or less cements Bear's comment that the bears are clearly marching and not dancing.

Crosseyed, US Blues and Hicks like this.
  10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

No politics, please.

11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

oops this was supposed to be 1970 and 1971

US Blues likes this.
  12. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

[​IMG]

LucaB, Shvartze Shabbos, ARK and 13 others like this.
  13. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Right, we've actually gotten two nights of 71 this year via the 50th re-releases.

14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

On good speakers without phones, Phil is playing two different notes an octave apart in different areas of the soundstage. Black Peter is where it's most noticeable, but it occurs throughout. It's annoying, not representative of how the bass actually sounded that night, and almost impossible to unhear once you notice it. Luckily, this is another situation where Feedback is a good thing, and Jeffrey Norman put a halt to any further use of whatever technique he'd used to artificially goose Phil's bass on later releases.

15. giantleech

It would be great to have that whole Berkeley run done up as a box (including 8/25 done correctly this time) and render that bolloxed up Dave's Pick as a wash.

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That would be the best outcome, hands down.

17. giantleech

I'd go so far to say that it is absolutely necessary. That cock up of Dave's 24 is an absolute blotch on the Dead's discographical history. It needs to be corrected and an August Berkeley box would be the opportunity to correct a historic wrong.

18. giantleech

Would anyone object to 9/3/72 becoming a Pick? Yes, I know that three tracks (near 50 minutes worth) appeared as filler on Dick's 36 but so what? Also looks like said show would have to utilize four discs, so maybe that cancels out that option (unless Dave might surprise us with yet another four disc-er outside of the "bonus disc" Pick, like this coming 36 of his series.)

Archtop, WaterLemon and US Blues like this.
  19. US Blues

Plus they can use the Plangent Process to make it Just. Exactly. Perfect.

Taylor16, jay.dee, Archtop and 2 others like this.
  20. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Guess I’m in for another year of Dave’s Picks, hoping for some early primal stuff. In the meanwhile I’ve been picking up vinyl releases , seems they get more play. A killer early box would be nice also , along the lines of Europe 72 ....... what a treasure trove. Not necessarily that large but of that quality performance wise.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Hicks

Hicks Forum Resident

Good point, that could make 71 off the table for 2021.

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Yes, there have been 5 Dave's Picks from 70-71 by my count. I should have said "some more" from that timeframe. I do not recall a box set from the 70-71 era, while 69, 72-74, 77-78 all have 1 or more box sets. 70-71 seems a bit under represented on cd when compared to the rest of the 69-79 timespan.

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Matthew Tate

maybe someone with more knowledge of the vault can chime in, maybe you know. I thought there are big missing gaps for what the band has in the vault from 1970 and 1971. is this right?

US Blues likes this.
  24. US Blues

1970 has large gaps of AWOL material. And because the circulating AUDs tell us that some of these shows were simply amazing, we mourn what was lost.

1971 is now well-represented with very little missing from the Vault. Much of the year is, in fact, in circulation in SBD form.

25. Matthew Tate

thank you

US Blues likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.