Grateful Dead “June 1976” box set is here!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Feb 13, 2020.

1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

[​IMG]

uzn007 likes this.
  2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I hope that the packaging is as huge and elaborate as possible. Bring it on!

:goodie::righton:

3. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Geez, tough call. Didn’t buy Giants box and recently sold Spring Boxes and 30 Trips box.
    Was trying to buy selected vinyl boxes but may have to pull the trigger.

Hopefully RSD 2020 is another vinyl Fillmore West 69 show.

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Looking at Deadlists, the first "Peggy-O" of the year was June 26.

5. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I'm looking at my various online lists of great Dead shows from 1976. Too bad they didn't include June 3 & 12 because those are supposed to be very good. I've never heard them either.

6. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

Was thinking this year's box would be from 1970 to mark the 50th of WMD/AB. With this box being so early in the year perhaps we'll get something like that in late summer/fall. Would make for good year for Dead releases.

ODShowtime likes this.
  7. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I ordered as usual. But I'm a little bit more excited about this one because, although I haven't listened to it in many many years, I have been wanting 6/11/76 to be released for a long time. I don't remember exactly why, but in the tape trading years, I really enjoyed that show a lot. And the other shows I'm familiar with on here are good too. These Betty Boards always sound excellent.

8. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Haha. This is fantastic.

9. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amazon would be secondary market. They don’t sell these box sets on the first run.

texron likes this.
  10. a sound painter

a sound painter The no drama drumma

No, especially seeing as we could be hit with additional import fees to boot. Out of curiosity, what was your total in Canadian dollars?

11. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

No they did this to me too, I emailed them and they got back to me pretty quick and offered refunds, so I don't think you'll have an issue on that!

a sound painter likes this.
  12. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

6/12 was the best show of the run and a favorite of mine as well. If they have a nice Betty Board of this show it would have rounded out the box set nicely - definitely a better show than 6-19 but oh well. Looking forward to
    the Beacon shows which have some of the best ensemble playing they ever did.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  13. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Ok, I have to revise this. I preordered and downloaded the listening party to iTunes and listened to again in the car on the ride home from work. That is a gorgeous Looks Like Rain. The sound on the download was great, excellent separation on the instruments. Great vibes.

14. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

$184.16
    I haven’t heard back about my tax inquiry.

a sound painter likes this.
  15. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

June 3 is real nice. I like June 3 & 9 better than the rest of the June shows, to be honest.

Crosseyed likes this.
  16. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

Presumably there will be 50th anniversary editions of both albums released later this year with accompanying live material from the era, as with the previous 3 studio albums...

17. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I shouldn't.

I'm in.

Doggiedogma, rcb30 and SGR like this.
  18. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

It’s a pretty well represented month, with three full shows and parts of, I think, four others. But any Mission in the Rain is worth it. I tend to like 76 more than most and am much more excited about this than I would be over anything 77-95.

Taylor16 and Crispy Rob like this.
  19. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I’m in. Hopefully the packaging will be cool but reasonably sized.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  20. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

Right but I seem to recall Dave saying last year that they had something special lined up for the 50th of those two. Guess we'll see.

21. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I would be considering the download primarily for space. I have been very pleased with the sound of these box sets. But the download is only $30 less than the physical. See

22. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I hadn't played rt 4.5 in yrs. Maybe not since was new. But playing it tonight. Great stuff.

23. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Passing on this one. Too pricey for me and I'm burned out on the constant focus on 72-77.

24. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

As I said earlier, I’m not too familiar with this year. But I’ve been listening to the DP28 6/17/76. I’m really liking the performance and the SQ. How does this show compare to those on the new box?

25. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Yeah, the Road Trips 4.5 release of 6/9/76 includes 6 tracks from 6/12: Mission in the Rain, The Wheel, Comes a Time, Sugar Magnolia, US Blues, and Sunshine Daydream. I suppose that may be the kiss of death.

brew ziggins and AxiomAcoustics like this.