Grateful Dead - Listen to the River Live in St Louis 71-73 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mcrichley, Jul 21, 2021.

1. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

As has been noted earlier in this thread and implicitly by Bear (who turned him down for 10/19) Weir is noticeably (over)prominent. Not always a bad thing back then (as opposed to the '80's and '90's)

2. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

You could try filling out this form: Submit a Request for Assistance

Mr. Heartbreak, Crosseyed and Erik B. like this.
  3. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

Mr. Heartbreak likes this.
  4. Jimbobwe

Jimbobwe Forum Resident

3rd time through the box was better than the 2nd which was better than the 1st

laf848, Spazros, bliss44 and 7 others like this.
  5. Further

Further Forum Resident

Totally agree. The worst to deal with. I’ve been going back and forth with them every few days through email and their responses don’t even make sense. They escalated at one point to find a solution, which had me hopeful but now it’s back to square one, with the whole conversation going round in circles. Today, they actually claimed I owed and was required to pay VAT - a tax that doesn’t even apply to us in Canada!

My box set has continued to sit unopened, while I attempt to sort this out. It’s a very simple problem with a simple solution. UPS collected tax from me and gave it to the government, dead.net collected tax from me and pocketed the cash, so they owe me that money back in the form of a refund - that is straight from the mouth of UPS.

I’ve even considered just returning the box but I would still be out the tax I paid (since I was billed twice) and literally have nothing to show for it.

Try to explain all this to dead.net - it’s like talking to complete idiots. I’m really losing my patience and will NEVER deal with them again after this.

6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I have only played three shows so far.

Taking my sweet time.

Spazros, KCWhistle, Freebird and 7 others like this.
  7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Me two. Ripped 10/18-19/72 and downloaded 12/10/71 off iTunes.

notesofachord and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

The 10/30/73 Playing is mellow and groovy with an underwater vibe. Picks up some momentum while staying in that zone. Beautiful collective sound.

9. notesofachord

12/10/71 tonight

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By the way, has anyone seen the film Joe? I have. It’s not for the squeamish. There’s an orgy (pronounced by Peter Boyle as “Or-Gii”) scene for one thing.

:thumbsup:

laf848, Spazros, uzn007 and 12 others like this.
  10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

my issues is replacement discs but i agree . they are being really dumb. i filled out a form and they said they'd send me discs. then they asked for pics. then they thanked me. now today they sent me another reply telling me to fill out the form again. why would i need to fill out a form again

Shvartze Shabbos and Further like this.
  11. notesofachord

12/10/71

They do not waste any time getting down to business on this Good Lovin’.

Spazros, Jimbobwe, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  12. notesofachord

Holy moly, Phil at 15 minutes into the Good Lovin’ is just flowing. Wow. This may be a top five Good Lovin’ for me. Incredible stuff.

13. notesofachord

:agree:

fishcane, Freebird and US Blues like this.
  14. GuitarStrangler

GuitarStrangler Forum Resident

Let me tell you a bit about 10/18/1972.

Disc one.
    Friday evening. Three songs in, and I already feel like this is my favorite show from the box. (some beer over pizza earlier helped to overemphasize this feeling :p ). My younger daughter dances with me and we both groove to this space western rock and roll music :).
    Later on... Bird Song knocked me out in couple of segments. Soaring.
    I love both 10/17 an 10/18 El Paso. Listen to Billy, how he swings on that one.

And there is a "funky Bob's China Cat 9/27/72 DiP11 note" alert in the China Cat intro. This is the second version now I hear him doing that.
    Anyway Bobby's playing is glorious and he can be heard clearly all the time.
    There is amazingly chilled out segment before the >Rider transition with Jerry's dreamy long bended notes. A splice between China>Rider that others were mentioning is rather obvious.

Disc two.
    DISC TWO man!!!!
    Saturday morning. I expected nothing. Now when I finished it, I needed about at least 30 minutes to return to my senses.
    Is this one of the strongest discs in Dead catalogue ? Yes, it is.
    Is this one of the best first 5 mintues of Dark Star there is ? Yes it is. Err, not just 5 minutes. Correction: Is this one of the all time great Dark Stars ? Yes it is.
    Morning Dew? Likewise.
    Transition from Dew > back into Playing... WHOA what the hell was that ? I feel like I never heard a transition this sudden and that smooth. It's like finger snap and you find yourself they are playing a deep Playing Jam like nothing even happened before it. AMAZING.

But the Dark Star man... Not that I tried it (and I surely won't), but this must be what the best shot of heroine feels like.
    I freakin' cried from joy. Floated in a parallel universe with eyes closes and body transfixed. No musical groups on this world can do this to me. And this is after a Saturday breakfast having my morning coffee.

And you know how you'll feel when a Star like this is followed by a Morning Dew. Perfect delivery by Jerry in both vocal and guitar departments. One of the most heartfelt Dew vocals from Jerry I ever heard. And listen to Bobby's playing during Morning Dew. Perfect delivery. Love the Phaser.

Damn. Two hours passed and I am still in a kinda dreamworld after this musical sequence. I still have that "stupid" blissful smile on my face.

What a Box set people !!!

15. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Timothy Fiacco, SJR, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  16. GuitarStrangler

GuitarStrangler Forum Resident

Disc three.
    Very crunchy guitars on Deal. A raucous rendition indeed.
    One of best ever Promised Lands for sure.
    Brokedown Palace is always perfect to me.
    OMSN - listen to Jerry's solo entry. Rather unique and wild.
    A barn burner Casey Jones - the band is having fun!!

There's a vocal flub from Jerry in Brokedown Palace: "All the birds that were winging" :)... Don't know what that exactly means, but I sure did wing high today :cool:

SJR, uzn007, notesofachord and 7 others like this.
  17. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have just started the 3rd show this morning. I haven’t read the book yet. But step by step…..

Erik B., Jimbobwe and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

This is an A+ box set that I highly recommend to anyone that likes the Dead or interested in getting into the Dead - every show is top notch - well worth the $. Get it now before it is gone, gone, gone!

laf848, MorningDew, Spazros and 13 others like this.
  19. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

20. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

I’m sorry, the 10/18/72 is rather sloppy.

jay.dee and Doggiedogma like this.
  21. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

I'm sure this has already been presented in this thread, but if not, I highly recommend listening to the Grateful dead podcast. The Official Grateful Dead Podcast

Two podcasts so far covering the St louis 1971 and 1972 shows, with the third - 1973 to be released in the next two weeks. Lot's of great info about the shows. check them out. you won't be disappointed.

22. notesofachord

The whole show?

Doggiedogma and Freebird like this.
  23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

The whole day, TBH.

Spazros, Coltrane811 and Freebird like this.
  24. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

For those who requested replacements of scratched discs and filled out the web form, I received the two replacements I needed today in the mail.

Woodville, Mad Dog, adamos and 8 others like this.
  25. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Dang it....the 10/18/72 Dark Star.

jay.dee likes this.