Grateful Dead - Listen to the River Live in St Louis 71-73 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mcrichley, Jul 21, 2021.

1. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

I bought (and love) the PNW box when it came out about two years ago. Have been subscribing to dave's pix for about three or four years, and have a good number of the other prior releases.

I know this new st louis thing has some great music on it but I just can't justify it. I have so, so many versions of just about everything by now that I'm kind of saturated. If it had been half the size (and maybe with an emphasis on 'second set/jamming stuff', tho I know most people want full shows) then yeah, probably would have done it. As a compromise, I did order the standalone Dec 10 71 show, tho. And if that dark star>dew etc vinyl set had also come out as a single cd, i would have bought that too. Part of the reason, too, is that as a big bob dylan fan, i feel compelled to buy that latest bootleg series 5 cd thing as well (and much as i'd love it, i'm passing on the 50th all things must pass as its just too expensive too) ah, first world problems tho!

2. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I don't think it necessarily ranks with some of the most epic Dark Stars of 1972, but the entire "Playin/Dark Star/Morning Dew" sandwich that includes it is unique and amazing.

Crispy Rob, ralphk, Erik B. and 9 others like this.
  3. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Do you think these Fox/Keil shows will eventually be on TIDAL and other streaming services?

Erik B., trd and US Blues like this.
  4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Since this is a "normal" commercial release it is likely to wind up being available for streaming.

5. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

Eagerly awaiting this set. Once it comes I plan on listening to it and the PNW box in chronological order, probably a show every other day. Should make for a great month without listening fatigue.

6. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Woodville, docwebb, uzn007 and 4 others like this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

On Spotify they tend to only have the standalone releases from those boxes (the Spring 90 sets, Get Shown The Light, July 1978, PNW). I don't have Tidal but I've read that they have more of the complete sets.

8. vinylshadow

I've got SO much Dead and Dick's Picks CD sets that I have not listened to yet, that fact will likely keep me from buying this set. I can't wait to hear it though!

If that Dark Star LP was off the charts, that would be very tempting. I wish there was a China Cat Sunflower LP set that had all the versions! I'm a sucker for that song....It's a "gets you moving" song like U.S. Blues....

Charlie Z. and US Blues like this.
  9. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

THIS guy gets it

10. MorningDew

MorningDew Forum Resident

I’m confused, as of yet none of the boxes stream, right? Only the standalones like 5/8/77 and the compilations.

uzn007, Erik B. and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

One of the Spring 1990 boxes and, is believe, the July 78 box was on Tidal, I can’t check now because I’m no longer a subscriber.

I know on Apple Music and Spotify only have the smaller releases (like Cornell and 7/8/78) and certainly not the whole box.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

July 78, Warlocks & Spring (The Other One) all stream on Tidal. None of the other boxes stream except the second half of the E72 shows.

13. MorningDew

MorningDew Forum Resident

Yes, I am on Apple Music mainly for the GoGD that I don't own, so I cater my purchases toward boxes and Dave's Picks that I can stream.

I wonder one day if we'll get a GoGD streaming service that features all available shows in HiRes. I would gladly subscribe.

14. Coltrane811

I’m already surprised they don’t have a Live Phish style streaming app with every release. Seems an easy way to make money and the people who like physical media will still buy.

adamos, johnnypaddock and Woodville like this.
  15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Spotify has all of E72.

johnnypaddock and US Blues like this.
  16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

They have a successful business model at the moment. It works.

Streaming is convenient for fans, but the artists make jack squat. With the CDs they are selling 20k+ copies with, most likely, better royalties for the band.

17. Coltrane811

I don’t think it makes sense to move all their stuff to regular services, but they could start their own app and get all the money. I think the Phish one is 20 bucks a month for lossless streaming, and they could definitely get that. And they wouldn’t have to split that twenty bucks with Olivia Rodrigo and Harry Styles.

notesofachord and AlienRendel like this.
  18. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

I think I need to try and get a PNW set before I spring for this one. I live in Oregon, so I like to have the hometown shows. Oregon Dead!

jeffsab and Spazros like this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Maybe. To play devil's advocate, LivePhish has every Phish show since 12/31/2002 (and a lot of earlier shows) and they are still playing new shows with the original lineup. I don't know if the Dead have quite so many shows with Garcia that aren't available on other streaming services that they could easily add to their app.

uzn007, Erik B. and Coltrane811 like this.
  20. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

Listened to the 10/19/72 Other One > He's Gone > Other One and I didn't hear Donna on vocals during he's gone - does anyone know why she is MIA?

21. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Any particular reason why you waited this long and until now (when the box has just recently sold out after forever and a day's time at Dead.net) to finally attempt to spring for a copy?

22. vinylshadow

Luck?

23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Just checked a bit of this show and yes, she's also not on Greatest Story, and it is a rare '72 show without Playing. Maybe she was ill.

Crosseyed likes this.
  24. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

I know. I just didn’t have the funds at the time. Now the itch is starting again. Can’t really afford my than $200.

25. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

We recognized the show as pretty special at the time. The concert was in the gym, set up with a small stage and folding chairs. We got there early and sat down, and pretty soon everyone was folding their chairs, passing them out to the perimeter to be stacked and sitting on the floor in families - boy, what a great communal moment.

But it wasn’t just that free-thinking vibe. They were always introducing/ playing new songs ahead of their next album, but this was not the same Dead we’d seen just 3 months earlier when one of the Wash U frats brought them into the Fox, right after their New Orleans bust. At Meramec they would bring acoustic guitars, their New Riders spin-off group and multiple sets - this was the first tour of “An Evening with the Grateful Dead” and it left no doubt these cats - especially Garcia - just loved to play.

Local mythology has it that as folks left after the encore, Lesh came back out asking where everyone was going, as they wanted to play another set…

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    JuanTCB, Crispy Rob, adamos and 12 others like this.