Grateful Dead - Listen to the River Live in St Louis 71-73 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mcrichley, Jul 21, 2021.

1. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

The LPs will be cut from the hi-res, Plangent processed files.

uzn007 likes this.
  2. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Not sure. That would certainly be the wise thing to do. I would hope they back it up 30 seconds or so from the fade out and fade in from there...

What does that mean in-terms of sound quality? What I mean is, the entire point of vinyl for me is to obtain that smooth warm non-digital analogue sound. If the vinyl is mastered from digital files, how is that end goal effected?

Cheers,

Zafu

US Blues likes this.
  3. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

I think that depends on how neutral vs “colored” your analog front-end is. In my case it is fairly neutral and I don’t see much of the value in buying hi-res digitally sourced vinyl when I have access to the same mastering that was the source of the vinyl. But, I am space and budget constrained so I tend to seek out AAA vinyl. For the recent Plangent Dead releases I have just purchased the hi-res files, even though I feel that Chris Bellman, who has done most recent Rhino Dead-related vinyl cutting is one of the best mastering engineers currently active.

4. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

Please please please Zafu. Don't turn into an AAA, all analogue or it's no good -hole. I enjoy records more than CD's and I dont stream so most of my listening is on vinyl. There are PLENTY of digitally sourced records on vinyl that sound tremendous. And I have yet to hear a GD vinyl release that stinks in the past 7 years. Buy with anticipation and you'll love it methinks

5. trd

trd Forum Resident

I would agree their track record on vinyl releases is quite good. I bought without hesitation and most of my vinyl purchases are AAA

Zafu, AlienRendel and Spazros like this.
  6. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

You have to weigh the benefits of Plangent with the benefits of AAA.

7. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I remember when we were happy just to have a steady connection...

RiRiIII, trd, AlienRendel and 2 others like this.
  8. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Careful, you're turning into a Yorkshireman.

9. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Or a fine connection...

uzn007 and KCWhistle like this.
  10. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Is he? Is he f--!

11. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Hahaha...didn't at all mean that. I've been away from vinyl for a very long time, so was thinking out loud. I was simply asking the question, whether a digital source to analogue medium compromises the desired end sound. It sounds like you're saying that even to the extent it may, the medium of vinyl still delivers in the goals most desire by spinning vinyl in the first place. To that i say, awesome !!! Thank you.

Zafu

12. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

That’s basically still how it stands in Austin. De facto decriminalization is great, the state of Texas doesn’t deserve our tax $ right now anyway.
    However it can get sticky when your buddy heads out of town for the 4th of July or whatever.

uzn007 and ODShowtime like this.
  13. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Take out the wow & flutter with Plangent and "restore" the original sound with a TT? :nyah:

jamiehowarth, Pelts, Zafu and 2 others like this.
  14. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

That's probably what we're doing.

My Dead vinyl fetish makes as much sense as anything else about the band.

Zafu, Dignan2000, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Only if the spindle hole is pressed off-center, which, unfortunately, is still happening.

16. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

:doh:

17. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Just the other day my daughter asked me to put on a record, rather than a CD. She - and then her brother - were fascinated by the process of lowering the needle, watching it land on the LP, watching the LP spin and then witnessing the magic of the music jump off the LP and out of the speakers. They didn't seem to mind that it was a near-50-year-old and very worn copy of The Beach Boys Endless Summer (all analog of course, but average sound). Does that count as a good reason to buy vinyl? Impressing the kids?

I have a few of the Dead LPs - the Shrine '67 set, the '77 show that was from 30 Trips and the ?May? '79 set that came out a while back. They're fun to have but a bit of a pain to listen to. They sound great and I've only ever found Dead-related LPs to be clean and flat (except for the Garcia one that the person who packed it thought would be fun to bend) but something about Dark Star needing to be on two or three sides makes me wince. I went for the 20 CD set for this. I couldn't pass up '71, '72 and '73 shows in one place!

18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I agree I got off the Grateful Dead vinyl bus a while back because the shows require too many side flips

19. Do they ever have sales?If so are there regular dates like Black Friday and are they usually on everything or just selected items?
    I haven’t bought any of the big Dead boxes before but am very tempted by the 20 CD set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. trd

trd Forum Resident

There are regular sales throughout the year, around the usual holidays. Not sure if a box that goes on sale in October would be on the discount list for Black Friday this year but perhaps a spring or summer sale in 2022.

Assuming it hasn’t sold out. I doubt it will

21. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I just received an email with a download for Sugaree, Mr. Charlie, and PITB. Sugaree and Charlie have the download, but PITB does not. Have any of you gotten the downlaod link fr PITB?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

make sure if you did the 4 payments you go to your paypal and authorize the next payment. i thought it was automatic

23. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

IIRC, they are releasing these single track downloads in stages; Sugaree was available upon purchase of the box, and Mr. Charlie came out yesterday. PITB should be out in a few weeks.

KCWhistle, trd, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  24. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

The PITB single release isn't until September.

US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Same. One thing you have to say about dead.net.....They're consistent.

Matthew Tate likes this.