Grateful Dead - Listen to the River Live in St Louis 71-73 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mcrichley, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Ordered. '71, '72, '73. . . that's the stuff.

Freebird, Mansley, Erik B. and 5 others like this.
  2. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

Totally not a cash grab. :tsk:

Aeryn Sun, Freebird, akadruss and 7 others like this.
  3. Was wondering how long it would take for someone to use the term cash grab. I play a drinking game the first time someone suggests it on every thread around here.

I may have a problem.

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I wonder how quickly this is going to sell. There never seems to be any rhyme or reason with these box sets. Giants Stadium sold out relatively quickly, but then PNW and July 1978 remained available for years.

5. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

It's been apparent for years around here that you cannot have a thread on an upcoming box set without all the usual suspects whining about price (no matter what the cost), what's included, or not included, packaging, the way the CDs are stored, and on and on and on... And then they want everyone to know that they won't be buying the set. As if we're all waiting with baited breath for that one guy to tell us if he's going to be purchasing the box.

You just have to ignore them.

Freebird, audiotom, akadruss and 15 others like this.
  6. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

throw away an end table or something - make space for this. Instant top 3-4 box set ever from the GoGD

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I was just wondering if the packaging was like PNW or like the 1976 set

Erik B. and Phoenician like this.
  8. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

What's the Dylan pre-sale?

9. Trainspotting

LOL, I wasn't referring to you, Matthew.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

Freebird, Erik B., Phoenician and 2 others like this.
  11. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

What's the Chuck Berry cover? I only see the Arch.

12. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

RRR

giantleech, astro70 and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

oh lol. I was about to say i'm not whining about the packaging I just wondered if anyone knew will I have a new piece of furniture again

WaterLemon likes this.
  14. Wright likes this.
  15. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Bootleg Series 16

Springtime in New York to be Released September 17JUL 21, 2021

Latest chapter in acclaimed Bootleg Series unveils 54 previously unreleased recordings, including outtakes from Shot of Love, Infidels and Empire Burlesque, in Deluxe 5CD Package

Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York: The Bootleg Series, Vol.16 (1980-1985)

Also Available in 2CD and 2LP Highlight Editions

Pre-order here

July 21, 2021-New York, NY-Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, will release Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York: The Bootleg Series Vol. 16 (1980-1985) on Friday, September 17.

The latest chapter in Columbia/Legacy’s highly acclaimed Bob Dylan Bootleg Series revisits an often-forgotten, rich vein in Dylan’s vast and complex catalog, shining fresh light on the provocative new musical directions Dylan was taking as a songwriter and a recording artist from 1980 through 1985. In the early 1980s, while the music industry was grappling with the arrival of new trends and technology, from MTV to compact discs to digital recording, Bob Dylan was writing and recording new songs for a new decade, creating an essential new chapter in his studio catalog. Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York (1980-1985) celebrates the rich creative period surrounding Dylan’s albums Shot Of Love, Infidels, and Empire Burlesque with previously unreleased outtakes, alternate takes, rehearsal recordings, live performances and more.

The deluxe 5CD edition of the album presents 57 rare Bob Dylan recordings, 54 of them previously unreleased in any format, from 1980-1985. The previously released cuts include two Shot Of Love outtakes: “Let It Be Me” (first released as B-side to “Heart of Mine” International 7″ single) and “Don’t Ever Take Yourself Away” (first released on Hawaii Five-O: Original Songs from the Television Series). A third previously released recording, “Death Is Not The End” (an Infidels outtake featuring Full Force) first appeared in an edited version on Down In The Groove and may now be heard for the first time in full on Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York (1980-1985).

Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York: The Bootleg Series Vol. 16 (1980-1985) is available in a deluxe 5CD boxset (with book, memorabilia, photos and more) as well as 2CD and 2LP 12″ vinyl highlight packages.

Crispy Rob, uzn007 and Wright like this.
  16. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

With all due respect, what else are we going to discuss at this stage?

Freebird, Erik B. and Icenine1 like this.
  17. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I do buy Dave's Picks but I find this to be one of the most exciting box sets in a while, at least for my tastes.

18. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

Yeah, I don’t even know what to say, I am stunned by this release.
    Yay!

19. That’s a thing. It’s not a cheap hobby and all the people needed to make these things get paid and labor and manufacturing costs are rising all the time. Yet people seemed shocked with each and every release or compare to a few that are cheap.

The upcoming complete Beau Brummels set is pretty cheap so go buy it. It looks fantastic.

Phoenician likes this.
  20. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

"Run Rudolph Run"? I don't think the poster was referring to cover as in song, because there's also three other Chuck Berry numbers on the set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. uzn007

I've ordered the 2-LP set from Dead.net, even though that's breaking my rule of not buying archival releases on vinyl and not buying vinyl where the songs are all cut up. This is a favorite, and a special jam, and the price is surprisingly moderate, so I went for it.

I'm going to wait a day or two to see if the full CD box set shows up on Amazon before ordering from dead.net.

22. Trainspotting

You're getting me wrong - it's not the 'discussion,' it's the incessant whining on so many box set threads. For the record, it's not necessarily this one - as most every comment has been positive. but check out virtually any thread on an upcoming box from any band/artist and see if you don't read a plethora of negative comments regarding price, packaging, etc.

If you feel that hasn't been your experience, then good for you.

Mazzy likes this.
  23. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

$200 for 20-cd's from this time period? Basically 10 bucks per disc. Call it a bargain and wait for October.

It's a home run.

*edited to correct the number of cd's in the box...

Aeryn Sun, Zafu, Freebird and 17 others like this.
  24. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

whoah.....

how do I pre-order disc 20?

25. uzn007

I'm just surprised (but not really) that anyone would call 20 CDs of prime early-70s Dead for $200 a "cash grab." If they really wanted to grab our cash, they'd release these things one show at a time at $50 per show (and plenty of people would buy them).