Grateful Dead Lyceum ‘72 Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spaulding, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Zipperheadbanjo

Zipperheadbanjo Forum Resident

Counter argument for your better half… by the time you’re dead it’ll be worth $4K… kids will benefit :)

Swansong, malfano, ARK and 3 others like this.
  2. oddsbodkins

oddsbodkins Forum Resident

Was just looking into this and it seems they charge you when you place the order, not when a pre-order ships.

Cody B likes this.
  3. PureGerry

PureGerry Forum Resident

They charged as soon as I ordered.

I threw in the slip mat and the Foolish Heart 7". I usually don't spring for the 7"s, but ... I was paying for shipping anyway. Might as well, might as well.

Swansong and ARK like this.
  4. Gary C

Gary C Forum Resident

Not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks nonetheless!

5. Cody B

Cody B Whatever you do, take care of your shoes

I didn't expect to be spending $600 on Grateful Dead records today when I woke up this morning, but I'm not complaining!

Swansong, Zafu, jgrillo and 6 others like this.
  6. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Zafu, ARK and YouCantWin like this.
  7. trd

trd Forum Resident

I think you’re in the wrong thread, this is a very fair price for 24 lps. For rip off prices check out the Bill Evans box set (nearly 1k for 24 lps) or the Music Matters Jazz website.

riverrat, Zafu, shadowcurtain and 3 others like this.
  8. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

If you can prob flip the box for double in next 5 years it’s not priced as a rip off.

trd likes this.
  9. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Hey, I was just sticking up for those who pay current vinyl prices. If it doesn't bother you that $450 for every show on the Europe '72 tour was only eleven years ago on CD and now one can get only four shows for around $600 on a different format, then by all means have at it!

10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

43 sides, side B of LP 24 is an etching. :laughup:

11. Cody B

Cody B Whatever you do, take care of your shoes

The Clifford Ball was about $29 an LP, this is about $23, so in reality it's kind of a good deal, or at least that's what I'm telling myself...

12. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I think you both failed math. 24x2=48-1=47.

edit....so did I....2 etching sides...=46. :D

13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Not good at math, but I do find hilarious that they couldn’t find an outtake of “Dark Star” or twenty minutes of tuning to fill up the etched side of a 24-LP box set.

14. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Between the RSD Boxes, the DP series, the Story of the Grateful Dead VMP box, the Jerry Garcia Band boxes, and this, I think the Dead own a full row on top of my Kallax. This is it, just this last one…I swear!

15. trd

trd Forum Resident

Is there a particular reason you’re acting like a jerk about this? You’re not interested, great. So why are you in this thread? Move along.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  16. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Ha, I'm with you, except trying to by a house this year, in an overpriced market at possibly the worst time to buy. I just couldn't do it, but man, this would be so cool to have.

18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Every show on the Europe '72 tour is also on Apple Music. Some of the Dead boxes haven't made it but for whatever reason, that one did, and it's great.

19. jb welda

jb welda yellow eyed dog

Oh jeez, went for the E72 triple color vinyl, to go alongside my original. I just kind of hate to pay 25 a disk but more so if I am buying 24...for three I can hold my breath and just do it. There will be time to make more money when I am dead I guess.

PS: thanks for the code, it covered most of the shipping cost at least.

jb

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    Gratefully Deadicated and trd like this.
  20. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

They also have a high res digital download. But they don’t specify the resolution. Is it 24/192?

I also wonder why the FLAC versions costs $20 more than the ALAC?

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  21. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

If you wanted to, you would be able to flip it for a grand, within a month of it officially selling out. Sadly, I'm sure there are flippers who have probably already ordered multiple copies.

22. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

Do we know if this is The Big Box for this year, or the Europe 72 50th Anniversary release... or neither?

23. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Dude, relax. "Jerks" are people who go online and call people names, not folks who point out price differences.

24. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

This is definitely not in my budget but I realized I could easily sell a few choice vinyls I have to cover the cost.
    I won't mention which ones because I don't need my inbox flooded with messages. :p

25. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Dave said on the Seaside chat there will be some surprises later in the year. Not sure if that's a box or something else.

Swansong, SteveFff and trd like this.