Grateful Dead on Vinyl: Comparing Pressings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wingtip, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Wingtip

Wingtip Forum Resident Thread Starter

Rkellner - great write up! Thanks for doing an analysis of different Terrapin Station pressings, especially VMP vs AP, and E72 VMP vs Rhino. I was very curious about those myself but didn’t have the AP Terrapin or Rhino E72 to compare.

I still think the VMP Reckoning beats the AP but it’s probably system-dependent and my setup and room don’t work with the upper bass boost I hear on the AP. Other than that, I’m in broad agreement with your assessments.

I know how much time it can take to do these comparisons, so thank you for your sharing your informed opinions.

2. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

It's certainly not an lp I spin regularly.

3. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Is there any difference in the 2011 Chris Bellman cut of Workingman's Dead and the 2020 50th Anniversary Chris Bellman cut?

4. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

What is the consensus on the reissues that were contained in The Grateful Dead Records Collection box set? I have it and I don't have any issues but there isn't much information on who did most of the albums.

5. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

The new one uses the Plaegent process and the other I believe is AAA cut.

6. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Thanks! So let me try and wrap my head around all this. When I first got back into vinyl a few years ago I picked up the 2011 reissues for a number of Dead albums, including American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, Anthem of the Sun and the first album. I also picked up the original mix of Aoxomoxoa that was reissued. I was fairly happy with them and they checked a few of the right boxes, or most of them seemed to. Chris Bellman, original tapes, AAA etc. Now, I'm hearing about these 2020 reissues that have been done with the Plaegent process that are suppose to be better than the 2011 AAA Chris Bellman reissues! Are they that much better or are we going down another rabbit hole here?

7. Wingtip

Wingtip Forum Resident Thread Starter

That’s what this thread is all about!

8. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I'd say rabbit hole. You'd be talking marginal improvements. As has been stated previously in the thread, the MoFIs are generally the best (excepting Live Dead) and I'd save for the those versus buying the next round of releases for marginal improvements.

john lennonist and ODShowtime like this.
  9. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I am not sure what reissues are being called the "2020 reissues" but the VMP box set is AAA.

Berman did both so there may be some confusion. The 50th anniversary reissues of American Beauty and Workingman's Dead were done with use of the Plangent Process.

budwhite likes this.
  10. SBegonias17

I assumed the 50th Anniversary releases since the OP said Plangent.

11. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I think you are right. Ironically I have the MOFI Live/Dead. What's the main beef with that? I also have a Canadian gold Warner label. As for the MOFI reissues, they are no longer available at anywhere near an affordable level anymore in Canada, nor do I see them on Amazon.ca anymore. Canadian buyers simply do not have access to the top quality reissues that are available in the U.S.

budwhite and SBegonias17 like this.
  12. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Agree here on the 1970 green label, killer stuff!

budwhite and john lennonist like this.
  13. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

I picked up the 50th Anniversary AB and I'd say it's on par with the VMP version though inferior to the MoFi, which is about what I expected.

Hunting down Rhino Rocktober version of Blues for Allah has been challenging, but that's next on my list.

14. SBegonias17

Having never heard the MoFi Live Dead, I think the biggest complaint is the mix on it.

I wish the MoFis were more readily available, I feel like I have to jump immediately on it if it is a title I want and I'm not a fan of having to do that

budwhite likes this.
  15. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

This. The mix on the MOFI is totally different on Live Dead and not in a good way IMO. We/I were use to the original and I was expecting great things from this release. But it sounds muddy or muffled vocals to me and different instrument placement compared to the original cut. It doesn’t sound right to me but YMMV. Give it a shot for yourself. I did end up keeping mine hoping I’d change my mind but so far no.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  16. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

We have the same problem in the UK with MOFI and other audiophile releases which mostly are not issued here so cost a fortune with added shipping and taxes. One MOFI I did order was Live/Dead and it was a bitter disappointment. The main reason is that the mix is not the same as the original release and to me it sounded very odd. I think it sounds like the remix on the Golden Road box set, which begs a question about how the remix was done for vinyl/CD. I have an original UK version (in fact the one I have now is a replacement for the one I bought on release here) and the combination of the mix and its immediacy is much superior to the MOFI. One particular element that stands out for me with the UK issue is Kreutzmann's drumming which is crucial to the performance.

Cassius likes this.
  17. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

Yes - a good summary of the shortcomings of the MOFI.

There has been discussion on the forums of this before and I would recommend for a vinyl copy of Live/Dead, if you cannot get a good original, the 2003 Rhino/WB version. This does have the original mix and sounds very good, if not quite up to an original pressing. Discogs suggests that it should have the original insert but my copy didn't, but then nor did the original UK pressing. It's still available via Amazon UK (and presumably copies are available in the US).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Dead-..._title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1613129357&sr=1-1

Grateful Dead – Live/Dead (2003, 180g, Vinyl)

uzn007, notesofachord and Mad Dog like this.
  18. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

uzn007 likes this.
  19. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

20. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

Very strange - especially as it's listed as a US release on Discogs.

21. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I find it hard to believe that they have the ability to have all these great albums but fans cannot find good reissues at a reasonable price. I can't get copies of Europe 72 or the second version that came out. Can't find a reissue of Shull and Roses, Live/Dead. There's no way to find a decent copy of Blues For Allah. Same for Dead Set and Reckoning. I'm sure these would sell well if they were readily available.

22. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Vintage is where it's at. Except for E72 vol 2 of course. That one is a bit sharp these days.

jgrillo likes this.
  23. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Vintage is hard to find depending on where you live. I live on an island on the east coast of Canada. We have nowhere to buy good vintage vinyl on a regular basis. If I travel to Halifax, Nova Scotia the selection gets much better. I went to the Boston area a few years ago and was blown away by what was available in terms of selection, condition and price. It was insane compared to what I was used to. I'm all about vintage vinyl, but when discographies are out there and have been well done, like much of the Dead's catalogue I would prefer reissues I can buy today either from Amazon or at my local shop.

Rockin' Robby and El Dave like this.
  24. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

My problem is I buy the new reissues but it doesn't stop the hunt and I've been darn lucky, rendering many of these new reissues redundant when I snag great originals. But I live at the bottom of a vinyl funnel.

E72 vol 2 vinyl lowest price on Discogs $250!! Ouch that's up there with Sunshine Daydream!

25. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

Yes. I picked up a copy recently thinking I was getting the 2011 and something about the hype sticker didn’t match. I was surprised to see a discogs entry already for the new 2020 as well. I haven’t cracked it yet to confirm but it should be just a new pressing run.

uzn007 likes this.