Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Have you received your replacement disc(s) from DrRhino? I have been waiting for mine since early October when they promised to send one "as soon as possible", but it didn't show up. And they have not responded yet to my follow up two weeks ago.

Do they email any shipment confirmation in such cases?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    KCWhistle likes this.
  2. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

For my replacements they did send an email saying they put the replacements in the mail. No ability to track, just a confirmation that they did ship them out.

3. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I haven't received any email since the first one. No word on when/if it's coming.

jay.dee and KCWhistle like this.
  4. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

My "likes" above are merely to indicate that my experience has been similar. I'm getting increasingly frustrated at the delay, and at the fact that the PNW box and the new Dylan box -- the only two big box set purchases I've made this year -- have both required returns/replacement.

Shvartze Shabbos and jay.dee like this.
  5. zephyr25

zephyr25 Forum Resident

Don’t give up, got mine last Friday!

6. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I listened to Disc 14 today, on my way to work. (Portland '74.)

Black Throated Wind is a great performance. It may not be exactly "daring" (or whatever), but the execution is top notch. And the SQ and mix is just amazing.

Freebird, anth67, trd and 2 others like this.
  7. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I sent a follow up email not too long ago, it took a week or so to hear back but I did get an email saying they were being sent out. They arrived today; I haven’t checked them out yet.

KCWhistle and jay.dee like this.
  8. a sound painter

a sound painter The no drama drumma

I'm waiting on 6 replacements (the final two '74 shows) since the time of release. Dr. Rhino initially told me they would ship replacements, but after a significant period I contacted them again to be told they never sent anything but would now. I then got a confirmation email that they were mailed the following day. That was a few weeks ago, so not feeling particularly optimistic. It's really too bad that the whole experience is somewhat soured by this nonsense. In my long history of buying CDs and sets of all kinds, I've never experienced such consistent quality control issues as with these sets from Dead.net.

Hope you get yours and I get mine.....sometime

9. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

I authorize dead.net to charge $20 more for the yearly subscription for Dave’s Picks to use a better CD printing facility then the one in Mexico. That is all.

(No I’m not bitching about dead.net. Love the company. Hire a better facility.)

10. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Revisited the box today...6/22/73 and 6/24/73.

Incredible moments and Jerry’s playing is so damn delicate. Love his touch.

Phil does no wrong.

Bob finds all the right spaces.

Zafu, JayB, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  11. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

After a ridiculous shipping odyssey, I finally got my box yesterday. Digging in now, starting with Seattle 73. This set is really a thing of beauty.

12. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I received an email from Dr. Rhino stating that my replacement disc was mailed today. Now to get the replacement disc for Dave's Pick 28.

Crispy Rob and jay.dee like this.
  13. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Good Lord dajokr!

dajokr and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  14. Anyone have an issue with their cover for the box and ask for a replacement, if so, did you receive one?

15. Wow. That’s a long time to receive a box. @Rne holds the record, I think it took about three months for his 30 Trips Around the Sun box to arrive in South America. I still get upset thinking about that. . . :mad:

dajokr, US Blues and Rne like this.
  16. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

The 5/21/74 WRS might be the best ever

17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I received it on November 25th, 2015, almost two months after its release date. The main problem was that for long weeks, Dr. Rhino didn't have a clue about the whereabouts of my copy (they didn0t even know if it had been shipped!).

dajokr and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  18. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

In my case, my address is a US military post office. Although Dead.net ships to those addresses, there appears to have been something (the size?) that the shipping company didn’t like. Two or three times they initiated an order, sent it to UPS, and UPS returned it to sender. In each case, there was nothing that triggered the system to recognize the order wasn’t fulfilled. They finally bypassed the issue and it still took over a month for the box to arrive.

They use something called UPS Mail Innovations, which means that anything they ship bounces around for a while before it ends up in USPS media mail (the slowest shipping method). All of my Dave’s Picks take over a month to get to me (still waiting on the most recent one). For perspective, USPS Priority and Amazon prime packages get to me (at a Navy Base in Japan) in about 4-7 days from the US.

Anyway, back to the topic - these shows sound great. My adopted home city is Seattle - I am a NY transplant but a Pac Norwester at heart now, so this box was always going to be essential for me.

19. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I did and I'm still waiting. They responded to the first request affirmatively, but I haven't heard back from them since (I sent 2 followup emails in the last 2 months). I'll be emailing again soon but I expect it'll be shipped eventually.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  20. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I placed my original disc replacement request on October 6, got a reply on October 9 that they'd be sent ASAP, heard nothing more and received nothing. Sent a follow-up this past Friday, didn't get a reply, but the discs arrived today. Haven't had a chance to look at them yet. What I'm saying is, if you're still waiting, there's still hope!

jay.dee and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  21. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

I made my initial request on 10/19, then sent a follow up 11/19 (without realizing it had been exactly 1 month) and 11/20 got a response they had been shipped.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  22. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I dunno; it's up there, but hasn't surpassed 6/28/74, 6/18/74 or 10/17/74 for me just yet (and I mean WRS proper, not any whacked out jams that might follow).

Six Bachelors and Dahabenzapple like this.
  23. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Okay, Rhino sent me duplicate replacements for the commonly marred discs 1 & 5 of PNW; but failed to respond to my request for a DaP28 disc 3 replacement: anyone wanna trade? I've purchased over 350 new CDs this year and the only defective product came for DGP/Rhino. Huh.

24. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Ah, you're on the "disc-per-day" listening plan.

25. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I just opened my Long Strange Trip blu-ray and both discs have big fingerprints on them. The outer wrap had made in Mexico on it so I assume it’s the same factory. At least they’re not scratched, but the quality control continues to be disappointing.