Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

A continuing issue for me with GDP/Rhino is the dearth of officially released live material.

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I want another 30 Trips box set.

3. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I count around 250 live releases on my hard drive

4. wavethatflag

Mine was a tongue-in-cheek comment, although I didn't indicate that.

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

You had me fooled. :nyah:

GerryO and wavethatflag like this.
  6. wavethatflag

I’ve started my second pass through this fine release.

John Bonham and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:righton:

8. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Like the Feb-Mar Fillmore West, The Ark run is essential 1969 listening.

10. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

The Fillmore West run was all about nailing down the Live/Dead sequences and getting that album recorded. Starting in April they brought back a bunch of oldies (ie songs that had dropped out of their repertoire since early 68,) but they still kept the Live/Dead material (for the most part.)

It was the beginning of the infusion of more down-home traditional material with their heavy acid rock sound, but still the early stages of that. (which would continue in May with the introduction of a bunch of country covers, most of which they only played in 1969, and then in June and on with the first of the Workingman's Dead originals.)

The Ark shows are good, but I seem to be part of a small minority (maybe of 1) that doesn't rave about them. There are other 69 shows I prefer, though there may not be enough of those for a box set.

KCWhistle, John Bonham, trd and 2 others like this.
  11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Where are you hearing this "infusion of more down-home traditional material" during the Ark run?

ianuaditis likes this.
  12. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Wish they'd find a venue to release the rest of 4/26 (Dicks 26). I assume they have the tapes, since Viola from 2nd set is on Fallout From Phil.

(A live Doin That Rag is spinning in my neighborhood brunch haunt as I type this :D 7/01/69, apparently.)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  13. ianuaditis

Sittin on Top of the World, He Was a Friend of Mine, BIODTL, even Viola Lee Blues. Baby Blue maybe not 'traditional' but certainly folksier than what they were playing.

Those plus It's a Sin, King Bee, Silver Threads and Golden Needles, China Cat and maybe a couple of others were tunes they hadn't played since early 68 or earlier that they brought back in April 69.

14. ianuaditis

King Bee actually doesn't belong on this list, now that I got a chance to look it over more thoroughly, but Minglewood makes an appearance in April, and Cold Rain and Snow and Me and My Uncle both show up in May.

It's hard to come up with a statement about trends in their repertoire for 68, because so few shows remain, so maybe they were playing some of that stuff all along. He Was A Friend of Mine, for instance, shows up in Dec 68 at Bellarmine college, so it was only out of the repertoire for a couple of months, if that (we are also missing the first run of 1969, Jan 2-6 at the Fillmore West.)

But, going by the stories band members have told about their turn towards country music, and the re-appearance of a lot of those songs after Live/Dead was in the can (and after sharing a bill with the Flying Burrito Brothers in the first weekend in April 69,) looking back it seems like the start of that process, but it basically took all year for them to integrate that approach into what they were doing in concert.

15. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

4/23/69 is one of those shows for me.

ralphk, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  16. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Hey now fellow travellers. Been a while. Life has a way of keeping us otherwise occupied sometimes and it's been a trying end to the year and I've missed this place quite a bit. I did get to find some solace in the GoGD thankfully. Thought I'd check in and wish everyone a fruitful and Happy New Year.

Earlier tonight we took a little trip to Seattle:

[​IMG]

While away we (the little lady and I) needed some uplifting and conversation starting tuneage so I put together a little 1973 Officially Released Tour Package for our enjoyment. Thought some of you may find it fun so posting it here. May make a fun thread?

Show #1:
    2/26/73 Pershing Memorial Auditorium Lincoln, NE (DP 28)
    Show #2:
    2/28/73 Salt Palace Salt Lake City, UT (DP 28)

Show #3:
    3/28/73 Springfield Civic Center Springfield, MA (DaP 16)

Show #4:
    4/21/73 Boston Garden Boston, MA (DaP 21)

Show #5:
    6/22/73 PNE Coliseum Vancouver, BC (PNW Box)
    Show #6:
    6/24/73 Portland Memorial Coliseum Portland, OR (PNW Box)
    Show #7:
    6/26/73 Seattle Center Arena Seattle, WA (PNW Box)

Show #8:
    10/19/73 Oklahoma State Fair Arena Oklahoma City, OK (DP 19)

Show #9:
    11/9/73 Winterland Arena San Francisco, CA (Winterland Box)
    Show #10:
    11/10/73 Winterland Arena San Francisco, CA (Winterland Box)
    Show #11:
    11/11/73 Winterland Arena San Francisco, CA (Winterland Box)

Show #12:
    11/14/73 San Diego Sports Arena San Diego, CA (30 Trips Box)

Show #13:
    11/17/73 Pauley Pavilion Los Angeles, CA (DaP 5)

Show #14:
    11/21/73 Denver Coliseum Denver, CO (RT 4.3)

Show #15:
    11/30/73 Boston Music Hall Boston, MA (DP 14)
    Show #16:
    12/2/73 Boston Music Hall Boston, MA (DP 14)

*See Below, insert Bonus Discs/DL Series Here

Show #17:
    12/19/73 Curtis Hixon Hall Tampa, FL (DP 1)

*Bonus Discs/DL, Out Of Sequence:
    12/4/73 Cincinnati Gardens Cincinnati, OH (Winterland Box BD)
    12/6/73 Public Auditorium Cleveland, OH (RT 4.3 BD)
    12/10/73 Charlotte Coliseum Charlotte, NC (DL Series Volume 8)

Anyhow, hope to see more of everyone this comng year. :cheers:

[​IMG]

17. Happy, Healthy New Year!

18. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Mine has finally arrived today, four weeks after they let me know they were about to dispatch it, three months and a half after I filed the replacement request. I am very happy to have it finally solved. :)

19. catnip nation

catnip nation Forum Resident

The RFK Dark Star is one of my favorites!

20. [​IMG]
    The Weird Al box also looks pretty nice.
    It contains his complete discography plus an album of unreleased goodies, packaged in an accordion.

One of the first rarities announced for the album was "Pac-Man", a parody of The Beatles' song "Taxman", and based on the arcade game of the same name.

The song had been recorded in 1981, and was popular on the Dr. Demento Show. Yankovic, who recorded the song in a friend's garage on a TEAC Cassette Portastudio, sampled sounds from the actual Pac-Man arcade game for use in the song. After the song was played a few times on Dr. Demento's radio program, the host received a cease-and-desist letter that ordered him to stop airing the spoof.

In order to get the song on the Medium Rarities album, Yankovic had to get permission from both Bandai Namco Entertainment (the company that owns the rights to Pac-Man) as well as the estate of George Harrison (the writer of "Taxman"). In regards to the former, the company "had a good sense of humor about" the parody. So as to clear the parody with the Harrison estate, Yankovic worked with Dhani Harrison, the son of George Harrison.

giantleech, GerryO, jeffsab and 2 others like this.
  21. AxiomAcoustics

The RFK GD sets have already been transferred and "sound incredible". The ABB camp seem to have a different idea of what is release-worthy than does the GD camp. So, would an RFK release of just the 4 GD sets be so bad? I'd not complain about that if it were the only route to their release.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    ianuaditis, budwhite, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

It would be a shame to exclude the great jams, and as time goes on we want the Goods.

23. AxiomAcoustics

Agreed, not sure why they're so averse to the release or who would be the sticking point. Who's left from that performance, Dickey and Jaimoe? I'm just thinking that if it's the only way to get them out before we all move-on then singn me up.

footlooseman likes this.
  24. d3adf1sh

d3adf1sh Forum Resident

maybe, until your hard drive kicks the bucket..

footlooseman likes this.
  25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

WOW. :yikes: