Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Well then you're all set for the flac's! :righton:

2. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

I have kind of the same feeling but mostly it is because the Dead with their long jams (many times longer than what one side of vinyl will hold) makes the Dead not really conducive to vinyl for live releases. Having said that I will say I broke down and got 2/28/69 on vinyl and despite the side flipping near the end of the show mid tracks all I can say is wow. This is the best I have ever heard this show by a long way. It was Plangent Processed which the original box and other fan releases are not which probably makes a difference. Regardless despite the side flipping hassles (and actual issues with flips due to length of jams) when I listened to this I thought to myself this is how the show was always meant to be heard. Just phenomenal how you can feel the ambiance of the music and venue on that vinyl. (Or at least how you can perceive to feel it)

3. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

One From the Vault is great on vinyl.

4. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Not worth $130. I got mine for about 50 and its okay. Not the optimal way to hear that show.

5. Experiencereunited

due to sound quality or flipping sides in the middle of jams?

6. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

The vocals are mostly missing from the first 3-4 songs.

7. Experiencereunited

Thanks. Can't blame the media for that apparently that is on the master.

8. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

Wonder why they picked this particular show to release in full on the vinyl? Best show of the run?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Keeping the anniversary thing rolling with 06-24-1973.

[​IMG]

10. Houseplants

Keith was so good early in his tenure

Crispy Rob, Archtop, budwhite and 5 others like this.
  11. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Keith was a genius level player from most of 1972 through 1974. His accents on pieces like Wharf Rat & Morning Dew are the work of a magical mind that very sadly was destroyed by certain factors. Still great in 76-77 and by 1978 he was becoming a shell of what he was.

Lonson, Archtop, Erik B. and 6 others like this.
  12. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Although oddly his brilliance was still on display in the JGB.

13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

He was excellent in 1972, but still a bit restrained (curiously, some 1971 shows finds him playing more actively). In my opinion, his peak is 1973-1977. And, as @US Blues points out, in 1978 he sounds better with the JGB.

14. Dahabenzapple

For sure 73 is his peak maybe just a bit more free and inventive than in 74. Very high level. I’m a long time listener to improvised piano within group contexts and Keith is a great addition to the band. Maybe it only would have worked that way as he isn’t a great soloist like most of the great pianists of that time or now - most of those are jazz musicians or involved in jazz related improvised music. So not sure he is in the level of Craig Taborn or Agusti Fernandez but those 2 are among the handful of greatest living pianists. But he is a pure improvisor which is a gift. The Dead at their peak had 4 of them in the band!!!

US Blues, Ray29, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  15. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

I think Billy peaks around 73 too. He is absolutely dancing on the drums during the 06-24 Dark Star.

16. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

I just entered this Dark Star. First 2 discs are good, but disc 3 is absolute liftoff. You get a super smooth takeoff compliments of Billy dancing around. There is no need for seatbelt until roughly 7 minutes in as Phil introduces a propulsive bass line. What a beautiful box set. I can’t imagine streaming it would do it justice. Need a full fledged stereo system to really be locked in.

Archtop, Erik B., Bossyman and 5 others like this.
  17. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Lots of flipping, vocals really low down in the mix on side C I believe. The 2nd set doesn't flow well on vinyl. Its a really disjointed listen on vinyl.

18. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'm pretty much a Dead vinyl completist but I stayed away from that vinyl release. First I had the expensive boxset CD version, but that hasn't stopped me before. I looked at the tracklist and hardly any of the sides looked good. I simply wouldn't play it.

The only other release like that was that Winterland '71 double vinyl they put out for RSD awhile back. That one also had no good sides.

SBegonias17 likes this.
  19. Houseplants

I actually really still want the t-shirt that went along with it. Plenty of bootleg ones on Ebay but I want a legit Liquid blue one.

Erik B. likes this.
  20. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

06-26-73 will finish the anniversary run. Enjoyed revisiting these.

[​IMG]

21. Dahabenzapple

Finally back to the epic 46 minute PITB band from 5/21/74

as @budwhite says it never lags and it is simply munificent throughout. Wondrous long Re-Entry which is a hallmark of the great versions from 72-74.

22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i have that PITB on right now

23. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

And it's even better on the audience tape!

notesofachord and US Blues like this.
  24. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Been a minute since I've listened but iirc it was only one song--Bertha--and not even the whole song. Unless I'm remembering wrong? I thought it was a neat to hear it that way, mistake and all, but I do remember some people grumbling about it at the time

25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

That's the Elastic Ping Ping jam that begat KSM/STDOMTT. This is the most fully fleshed out version of the jam that has been officially released, with the resolution to A even showing up in embryonic form at 9:20. The genesis of this jam can be traced back as follows (official releases only):
    • 4/8/72 - Dark Star; at 8:06, Phil briefly hints at the bass line from Wayne Shorter's Footprints;
    • 4/11/72 - Truckin'; from 15:37-16:45, Phil gives a much more defined exposition of the Footprints bass line;
    • 4/16/72 - Good Lovin'; from 14:48-15:22, Phil unexpectedly tosses in the Footprints bass line in 6 this time (opening the door for multiple meter interpretations of this theme in 5, 6, 7 and 8 as it became first a full band jam, and ultimately KSM/STDOMTT in 7);
    • 11/17/72 (DaP 11) - The Other One; a ping pong jam crops up/in and out from 8:03-8:33 and then at 9:00 and 10:05;
    • 2/26/73 (DiP 28) - Dark Star; another ping pong jam from 10:10-16:14. This one starts out in 5 and Phil switches it to 6 at 11:10;
    • 2/28/73 (DiP 28) - The Other One; yet another ping pong jam from 4:42-6:00. This one is in 5;
    • 6/24/73 (PNW box) - Dark Star; the ping pong jam starts at 6:40 but doesn't take properly, so Phil circles the wagons and starts it again at 6:51. Listen to his line from 7:07-7:20: he's quoting Footprints again, but now it is in the context of a developing composition.
    There are a handful of other occurrences that have not been officially released, but by late '73, this jam disappeared for a year and a half until resurfacing on 3/23/75 at the SNACK benefit.

Wingtip, Crispy Rob, jay.dee and 9 others like this.