Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Haha the last thing Dave L needs is another distraction! Love RHV gallery just some beautiful work in there and a gorgeous space to display it! Was so thrilled when it was announced he was doing the artwork on this set, it was already a must buy, but that just put it over the top.

2. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I bought this one "Chief's Dream"
    [​IMG]
    I love the story it tells:

"The Tsimshian canoe has inside it a chief and four supernatural chiefs. Chief’s Dream is set on a stormcast, rainy autumn day. The landfall is the Northern tip of Banks Island. The water is Principal Channel just south of Kitkatla. The figures in the canoe are the supernatural chiefs of the four tribes of the Tsimshian people of Kitkatla: The Eagle, Raven, Whale and the Wolf. The young chief dreams of going to a potlatch with supernatural chiefs powering his canoe towards Kitkatla."

Spadeygrove, er1c, gdpeck and 10 others like this.
  3. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

I still can’t believe this set has not sold out yet.

4. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

A used one sold on eBay for around $170. Why buy used? Why not buy during Rhino 20% off sale (though I gett he/she may not have known about the sale). But isn’t it $169 brand new? Odd.

Erik B., US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

What truly boggles my mind are the sales on Discogs. Someone paid 375 Euros for a new copy late last year. I swear those kind of transactions have to be some kind of money laundering scheme. Why on earth would someone pay almost 3 times the cost? Mind=blown.

Erik B., SBegonias17 and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Maybe they figured if they ordered it through dead.net they'd never get it. Or else...

[​IMG]

martinb4, Erik B., DrLunchbox and 2 others like this.
  7. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

I looked a week ago and just now. I don’t see it on dead.net. Can you provide a link?

Bossyman likes this.
  8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Bossyman and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

10. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Truly is a great Birdsong on the 6/22/73 Vancouver show.

The mix on this show settles in nicely.

rednax, er1c, Glenn coates and 9 others like this.
  11. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Top version for sure and very psychedelic - much different in vibe than the many great late 72 versions

12. This box is a must-own. These are first rate shows from a band at the height of its powers.

13. Dahabenzapple

Even the supposed “middling” shows like 5/17/74 have plenty of golden moments/sequences

14. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

That's a pretty hot show, for consistency one of the best in the box

16. Dahabenzapple

Yes the places where one expects it to be hot are hot. Out jam in Truckin’ into Nobody’s Fault is incredible. Jerry just magical. That sharp biting tone.

Erik B., er1c, Billy_Sunday and 3 others like this.
  17. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

6/22/73 Vancouver

Truckin > The Other One

41 minutes of IDKWTF but damn that was good​

18. er1c

er1c Well-Known Member

What a dream come true to have such beautiful audio quality on these live shows. I remember tapes back in the day that were pretty weak quality but i still loved listening to them. Now? Just wow.

19. OhioHead

OhioHead Forum Resident

20. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

Bird song!

trd, adamos, footlooseman and 5 others like this.
  21. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

Hot damn... the WRS from Seattle ‘74 is the “best” version I’ve heard to date. Just straight fire . Right into a proper and righteous China Doll... right into the Kraken of Dead jams, the renowned PITB... ****ing amazing show. This box set is something I want to be buried with- just perfection. Always reveals something new with each listen.

22. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

They are actually sub-par compared to how Dicks Picks used to sound. I very often find that my "bootleg" CDs sound better than Daves Picks versions.

Freebird likes this.
  23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I picked up that one also for each of my teammates after the Yukon River Quest 500 mile canoe race a few years back. We won the class and were the first 4 person team to ever complete the course(took us 45 hrs48min) . The spiritual chief leading the team was particularly poignant to me
    [​IMG]

24. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Can you name some? And BTW this is not a Dave's Picks thread, and there is no way any other circulating versions sound better than these versions in the PNW box

SJR, Freebird, adamos and 11 others like this.
  25. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Wow, I find the complete opposite. Most of the recent box sets and Dave’s Pick’s sound much better than many of the already circulating soundboards. I am often disappointed when I go back to the early Dick’s Picks releases and wish that they had the technology and attention to detail then that they have now with the current releases, especially when the plangent process is involved.

LucaB, SJR, jmadad and 13 others like this.