Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Man, this looks awesome -- and pretty reasonably priced for 19 discs (I think I paid $160 for "Get Shown the Light"). Still probably beyond my budget at the moment (would it kill them to announce these at tax return time?), but the 3CD set looks like a fitting consolation prize.

2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

In for the box and pleasantly surprised to have been able to order it from my phone in 5 minutes with no problems. Thought briefly about the vinyl, but it's not really conducive to long live Dead shows. I did spring for Cornell on vinyl, but that is probably a one and done thing for me as far as releases that aren't exclusive to the vinyl format. Really looking forward to this one.

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

18 July 1976, please.

4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Yeah, so far my only vinyl GD splurges have been for One from The Vault (8/13/75), DP8 5/2/70 and Shrine '67.

Groundcat, unravelled and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Agreed.

US Blues likes this.
  6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Another interesting standalone release could be 7/2/71 from the Fillmore West closing/Bill Graham film project. Or am I incorrect in assuming that it was recording in multi-track for the film?

7. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

[​IMG]

would love to have it also, the santana set is my favorite the hot tuna release is good but i'm not a big papa john fan. elvins set i really want also. the set by the boys is good but like they said for big events they didnt necessarily bring there best game. if you got this box and you probably do the book that comes with it with all the shows listed is sublime

8. Gabba Gabba

Gabba Gabba Forum Resident

Anyone on the fence on this release shouldn't be. I might slot this as the third best boxed set they've released. Fillmore West, The Complete Europe 72 and then this. There are some amazing Jam segments in this Box and I can't wait to listen to this in all it's restored glory. They shot a big load with this one! Kreutzmann is an octopus on the drums during this period. Does the work of 4 drummers.

9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

How would you compare it to the Movie Soundtrack box set?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  10. Gabba Gabba

Gabba Gabba Forum Resident

I'm not a big fan of the sound on the movie soundtrack box. Some of the crowd noise got a little overpowering in it for me and while the shows were solid, let's face it, they were a tired band by then and in need of a break. There's great music on there but they are only moments or segments.( Dark Star Dew is fantastic!) This Pac-West shows are a band firing on all cylinders for the entire gigs for 2 years in a row. Just my opinion.

therockman, LucaB, ianuaditis and 5 others like this.
  11. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Just pre-ordered!!!

12. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Yea.

13. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

And then you remember you are a Deadhead and common sense and reason seem to all melt into a dream...

14. This. :shh:

15. Obviously happy about this box and can’t wait to dive into it when it’s released, but dear lord, I hope that we see a mega Brent 1980’s box at some point.

16. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Ordered with expedited shipping. 73 & 74 are my favorite years.

17. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Good splurge. Shrine ‘67 is fantastic vinyl! Love it.

ODShowtime likes this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I held off on the Shrine because I have it on CD as part of the porch crusher, but was tempted. I am really tempted by DP8 with new mastering and the previously missing Cold Rain and Snow, and just might pull the trigger soon before it's gone.

budwhite, GerryO and SBegonias17 like this.
  19. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

I have the Porch Crusher, and couldn’t resist this Shrine vinyl after hearing it. Might have to join you on DP 8 vinyl. I’m not sure I realized that about “CR and S” on the vinyl release. Though today might not be the day for me with today’s purchase.

20. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

21. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

The crem de la crem (sp?) although I'd put Cornell and Veneta in that rarified thick air too.

22. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

While the site that @jazz_case linked to has some good info, it is rather hyperbolic in nature. I'd suggest reading the comments on the bottom of this page for more detail: Grateful Dead Guide: The Dead's Early Thematic Jams

And I know that you didn't ask for it, but my personal opinion is that this whole thing started and then evolved from Phil quoting Wayne Shorter's Footprints on 4/11/72 in Newcastle during Truckin' from 15:37-16:45 (based on trunk release times). That Shorter composition is in 3, so that can easily translate to 6 (two bars of three to encompass the full riff). Through '72 (but not so much - see DaP 11, 11/17/72 in The Other One from ~8:03-8:33, then again around 9:00 and 10:20 (these are very much early snippets of something that would evolve)) for an early evolution from Footprints to the very genesis of KSM/STDOMTT.

Then see DP 28. On 2/26/73, it shows up during Dark Star from 10:10-16:14, initially in 5 then in 6 starting at 11:10. On 2/28/73, it shows up in The Other One from 4:42-6:00, in 5. There are a few more (and probably a few more that I don't know about), but clearly Phil was trying to create something, and I've heard various incarnations of this improv in 4 (I think of this as being in 8/two bars of 4 to fully encompass how the riff is played), 5, 6, and 7. Eventually KSM/STDOMTT ended up in 7, which seems like a good to choice to these ears. As far as I can tell (and perhaps this '73/'74 box will provide counter-evidence) this jam disappeared after 1973. But man, did it produce.

23. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Some peak Dead there man, whooh

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I wonder if the thought process was 'Seems like we might have hooked a lot of new fans with how well the GSTL box and the standalone Cornell release did, now let's real them in with the real primo stuff.'

25. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I'm pretty happy about that Playin' being on the comp :nauga: Bird Song, too.

ralphk, Rne and ianuaditis like this.