Grateful Dead Sunshine Daydream CD/DVD/Blu-ray/Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt Ellers, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member Thread Starter

On August 27, 1972, fresh off their now-legendary European tour, the Grateful Dead traveled to Veneta, OR and reunited with the Merry Pranksters for a common cause – to throw a benefit concert for the Kesey family’s Springfield Creamery. A stage was erected under the hot Oregon sun at the Olde Renaissance Fairgrounds, tickets were printed on the fronts of the Creamery’s yogurt labels, and the rest is history…

This item is now available for PRE-ORDER ONLY. Item is estimated to ship September 17, 2013.

http://www.dead.net/sunshine-daydream

2. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Really looking forward to these official releases!

Matt Ellers likes this.
  3. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

Went last night. Loved it. Trying to decide if I actually need to buy it though, and whether it makes more sense to get DVD or Bluray.

Matt Ellers likes this.
  4. roberts67

roberts67 Forum Resident

Don't wait too long. There were 500 people logged into the merchant site this morning when I bought my copy. I have been waiting forever for this and went last night. Great fun. Robert

Matt Ellers likes this.
  5. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

The limited edition part is the tye Dye case and a book if you read between the lines on their page. I'll wait for the the 4 discs to show up on Amazon.

Marvin and Matt Ellers like this.
  6. Matt Ellers

7. Matt Ellers

8. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

Great time seeing it on big screen last night! The SQ is pretty outstanding but visuals, even big and HD, weren't much to write home about....BlueRay has the better sound though right? Also heard that this is being released via Warner Bros./Rhino on vinyl...

Matt Ellers likes this.
  9. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

Ordered mine last night, but still truly dumbstruck that I think I read this one was limited edition (I'm obviously still having problems with it. Please tell me it was only a fatigue hallucination). The number of people who have fuzzy bootleg copies of this must be larger than this edition. I think this one's going to sell out so quickly (before some even know it's available) that a huge number of people are going to be upset.

10. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

As shown in the other SSDD thread, dead.net has an "exclusive" edition that is limited.
    I suspected there will be a plainer version releases to the masses. Looks likely

11. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I went to the pre-order page (with rather mixed feelings) and watched the two videos.

While the performance footage looks great, I actually found the "hippie era" crowd cameras (there will come a time when you can even take your clothes off when you dance) rather off-putting. Although I like the Dead's psychedelic era, I'm not sure that I want my appreciation of the music to be informed by those visuals. Give that this is a pretty expensive set for one concert, I think I may be skipping this one.

listner_matt and Hamhead like this.
  12. Matt Ellers

I totally agree with what you're saying. Supposed to be a great concert and I pre-ordered it but watching the footage as it stands makes me cringe and think of body odor and people being hospitalized for sunstroke. I wished there was a "band only" edit. I am one of life's biggest appreciators of listening to Live Dead but I would NOT have wanted to be at this concert! Lots of them probably.

phillyal1 likes this.
  13. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Can we assume that there will eventually be a CD only version (ala GD Movie)? I would like the music (although at 86 discs and counting-1972 is relatively well represented).

14. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I imagine the DVD chapters will allow you to skip directly to the performances after you watch the whole movie once or twice.

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

What, Grateful Dead fans that don't enjoy dancing hippie chicks? I didn't know such animals were out there in the wild! :)

I became a Dead fan because in college in '73 a few fine hippie chicks would put "Live Dead" on and start dancing. Then I got invited to go see them perform in a marijuana filled gymnasium full of dancing hippie chicks. I became a firm fan.

16. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

This set will go quickly. Get the blu ray.

17. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I've got no argument with anyone whose enjoyment of the Dead is increased by nostalgia, but that just isn't me. When I started listening to them, Jerry was already gone and they never existed in my mind as a ride in a 1960s theme park, which is what they would become if I spent a lot of time watching stuff like Sunshine Daydream. The Closing Of Winterland and The Grateful Dead Movie managed to rein this in, but it seems obvious from the videos that this particular disc is on the voyeuristic side.

Given that I've already got plenty of "72 Dead, I'll pass.

18. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

For the record, i ordered the Blu-Ray package, but I'm really curious as to the BD audio vs DVD audio quality. Visually, I think the source material is such that DVD quality is more than sufficient, but I would like to understand DVD vs BD audio mastering for this, and if there would be an audible difference.

19. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Just like Disney World Adventureland is a theme park for those who haven't gone to Africa.

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I"m just funnin' . . . nostalgia doesn't really increase my Dead enjoyment, I am in mainly for Garcia and Kreutzman, they are awesome musicians and I always enjoy hearing them. Forty years ago I was as interested in the hippie chicks who were Deadheads as the Dead, but that quickly changed. I can see someone who did not "come up" in the 'sixties or 'seventies or who were not into the Dead til the second half of the 'nineties or beyond not being into that.

It's a great concert music-wise imo. I've always enjoyed it. Looking forward to the Blu-ray (mainly for the sound).

21. Matt Ellers

I am a different kind of Dead fan. Never saw the band, being Australian. Never HEARD about the band until I met an American guitarist in Sydney in 1988. We played Franklin's Tower busking in Sydney and Manly. Never heard a Grateful Dead recording until the Classic Albums Anthem To Beauty video was on TV. Got into the music slowly from there. Bought American Beauty. Bought Golden Road box circa '05. Discovered Europe 72. Reached fanatical proportions in 2012 after being a full blown fan for 7 or 8 years. What a long, strange trip it's been.

The (other):cool: gateway "drug" which made me dig deeper than the Golden Road box was the Ace album by Bob Weir. The songs that made me realize they existed after the "country rock" period when ie I bought the Beyond Description box were when I discovered Weather Report Suite and Here Comes Sunshine. The track that opened my mind to the possibilities of 1977 and beyond was Terrapin Station (studio version). Blues For Allah finally, after 40 years of resistance, opened my eyes to the possibilities of jazz and funk. Which opened my mind to playing unfamiliar styles and genres rather than relying on existing skills and tastes.

The whole hippie chick scene is one I really can't imagine. Nor can I imagine what it must be like to share the Grateful Dead music communally. I live in hope of meeting musicians who know the Dead to jam with but it hasn't happened yet. I had a guy ask me to play Santana with him a couple weeks ago and played some Doors with some cats last week and played a J.J. Cale tribute Thursday (R.I.P.) but never played the dead with another musician since with the American dude in 1988.

rockinlazys likes this.
  22. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Wow, no "CD only" option? I'll wait, thanks...

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  23. zen

zen Senior Member

Ordered mine this morning. :)

24. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

the word "exclusive" is used a lot describing the options that are offered through dead.net; makes me wonder if a more widespread release (3cd release?) will be offered in the near future. i'd prefer the concert instead of the movie

25. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Based on Lemiuex's comments on the poor sales on stand alone DVDs, I don't anticipate any CD only sets.
    The idea of bailing on the video seems silly to me. It is the best footage of the Dead at their peak, hands down. For all the quirkiness of the footage and the variable quality, it locks in and shows the band creating in the moment at the highest level ever captured on film.
    Oh my God there's naked hippies, what will I do?
    Man up and deal with Leon Russel's long long hippie bro in jorts, and the terrible clip art psychedelia during Dark Star. The quality of the playing captured is as good as it gets.