Grateful Dead Sunshine Daydream CD/DVD/Blu-ray/Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt Ellers, Aug 2, 2013.

1. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Count me in as a fellow fan of that 6/21/71 show. The camera work is a bit ropey at times (it's basically only 1 or 2 handheld cameras, moving around the band as they play), but there's also a great-sounding stereo soundboard recording of this gig and it captures a rare period of the Dead - besides the two tunes on the Last Days of The Fillmore film, it's the only pro-shot record we have of the shoot 'em up, bar band Sk*llf*ck GD.

This is what circulates (some of it in edited form),

01. Morning Dew (B&W)
    02. Hard To Handle (Color)
    03. China Cat Sunflower (B&W) ->
    04. I Know You Rider (B&W)
    05. Deal (Color)
    06. Black Peter (Color)
    07. Sugar Magnolia (Color)
    08. Sing Me Back Home (B&W)

I've seen the Rider in colour somewhere and would guess that, given that the cameras were obviously in colour, the Dew, China Cat and Sing Me Back Home must exist in colour, somewhere in the ina.fr archives.

As for the rest? If only...

2. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Has anybody mentioned the wonderful "cast of characters" montage that now ends the film? I am looking forward to getting the Blu-ray if just for that. It's nice to put faces with the names. So that's what Betty Cantor-Jackson looks like. Halfway through the film, I realized that tall, thin, athletic guy in a white T-shirt who is friendly with everyone must be Ken Babbs. I love movies with moments like this.

psubliminal likes this.
  3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Your logic is fatally flawed: a third option is not to buy the item at all. All I was doing was say why I wouldn't be buying this: something that people do all the time on the forums. I wasn't expecting the self-appointed Hippie Chick Inquisition, but then ... who ever does?

4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Don't forget "A Night at the Family Dog", which had both Pigpen and Hart (and parenthetically the best JA footage ever shot). The slow motion stuff and the chick with the helium boobies both get a bit old, but the performance is on point. Again, if there were more of these and it were cleaned up it would be something to see.

phillyal1, BillG and JimSmiley like this.
  5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Pre ordered the vinyl set at Amazon. $73 isnt bad for a four disc set. This will go nice with the Dick's Picks vinyl sets.

6. zen

zen Senior Member

:agree::thumbsup:

phish and T'mershi Duween like this.
  7. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

8. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

And the China > Rider is another huge highlight. At the theater I caught myself being taken along into Never Never Land. :D That, the Bird Song and Dark Star alone make it well worth it to me but there's also a dandy Jack Straw too (and a few other songs too). As much as I love complete Dead shows, especially of this era it's not a bad thing to just have the highlights. And while I'm not one of them, the Donna haters should note that she's pretty much invisible because of this approach. They can't exactly make this a selling point but they'd probably move a few more if some people realized this.

9. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

to make it clear:
    dead.net = DVD or Blu-Ray + audio CD's
    amazon/etc = video discs ONLY

As far as comparison to the 10/74 shows, musically there is no comparison. Coked out, tired, and camera conscious was a good description of the 10/74 shows.
    But, to say that August 72 represents the Dead at "their absolute musical peak" is also highly debatable.

10. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Who said anything about unwashed?

A properly maintained hippie girl should smell fresh, having recently bathed in exotic oils and lotions. She will be nicely fragrant and dressed to intrigue and dazzle. She should be clean in body and spirit. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having said that, I could only ever be a "posh" hippie anyway. I would've needed a lot of UV protection if I were there that day and decided to "go native." :)

jacksondownunda likes this.
  11. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Donna appears briefly in the movie singing on "Sing Me Back Home." If anyone is not buying Grateful Dead music and/or video performances because Donna is singing backup on a few songs, they're not really Dead fans, are they? I'm not a big Donna fan, but that's cutting off your nose to spite your face, I feel. It's almost like saying "I'm not going to buy With The Beatles because they let Ringo sing that lame song "I Wanna Be Your Man."

ssmith3046 likes this.
  12. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Yeah, I agree with you. I think their "absolute musical peak" was 1969 and 1970, but there is some amazing stuff in 1972, and some of it is in this movie.

13. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

The retail 3CD-plus-DVD version is now up at Amazon. Just over $30 at the moment.
    Dead.net also seems clear now on which video and print extras come with the Dead.net-exclusive version.

14. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Not to be negative, but "Sing Me Back Home" is about the only song where I ever had a problem with Donna. I always wondered if they stopped playing the song because her.

"Sing me back home, a song I used to hear; make my old memories come alive..."

"come alaaaaaaaiveeeeeah... yeh-yeh-yeah-yeeeeeeah-aaaah"

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I was going to just buy the vinyl but naked hippie chicks? I may have to get the video too. I loves me some naked hippy girls!

budwhite and T'mershi Duween like this.
  16. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

I ordered from Amazon and emailed GDM to cancel as well, though mostly 'cause I can't really justify $30+ premium for a booklet and a slipcase - I can't imagine the content really demands Bluray resolution (though will probably swap out orders for same if offered on Amazon).

17. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

This was great and really worked well in the theater. There was something zany about it. It reminded me of the closing scene in Animal House where they recap what happens to the main characters once they get out of college.

18. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

I just think it's intentionally misleading to not state somewhere that the song content of the DVD/BD is significantly less (7 songs) than that of the CD, leading one to conclude it is identical or at least substantially the same as the CDs. Leads me to believe the knew their would be less enthusiasm towards paying the $60-$65 asking price. For those of us who already d/l the audio, the being able to watch the show in good quality video is the main draw of purchasing this set. And no, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the breakaway footage of the dancing naked hippies.

19. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

wow, a lot of mis/dis-information going on here about this set. I too feel a bit "ripped" as so much of the originally shot footage is missing and I don't think its missing, they just, for what ever reason didn't want to include it, guessing that footage would make it too long to show in the theaters. At any rate, many of these songs are the top performances for those songs, no doubt this is a super hot concert and my favorite, definitely hitting on all cylinders. I' glad the cd's will have the complete show, would love to get a digital copy of the whole film though. Some parts they left out, really, mexicali blues? Garcia is absolutely on fire in that one. And PITB, holy ****e that is great, although Bobby's voice is really weird sounding, really pitched high. Have been wanting this for over 20 years when I first heard it, made my year!

20. BillG

BillG Forum Resident

Lots of good points above regarding what is or is not included. The bottom line for me is that they are finally releasing what, for me, is THE ultimate visual portrait of the Dead in their prime. The crowd shots, in whatever form, add to the portrait. The fact that the rest of the show is being released on CD is something that I have dreamed of for 25+ years. Other than The Complete Europe '72 (or perhaps the Fillmore set), this is the Holy Grail of Dead releases for many of us, myself included.

hvbias, Cassius, jamesmaya and 2 others like this.
  21. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

How do you know the footage you describe is usable? It's not in the original SSDD movie, nor the bootleg VHS, nor the current film.

I've never been a big fan of this concert, even back in the "old days" before it became the Word of God. It has high points just like so many other '72-'74 shows.

22. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member Thread Starter

Do we know for a fact the new DVD/BD has 7 songs?

23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Received my official SUNSHINE DAYDREAM coffee mug yesterday. Woo hoo.

24. Supafly

Supafly Forum Resident

Is there anywhere I can order just the Blu Ray?

25. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Is this show a multitrack recording?