Grateful Dead Workingman's Dead 50th Anniversary deluxe?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Country Rocker, Mar 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Country Rocker

Country Rocker Forum Resident Thread Starter

I assume we are to expect a release in the summer, with an announcement in the next 3-4 weeks. Let us know if you have any further info. I had serious issues with the sound of the Aoxomoxoa 5oth CD (both mixes) and hope they don't burst the dam with their two 1970 albums.

2. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I am curious to know what live music they’ll include. We’re at that point where complete one-disc shows will be pretty much impossible. Might we just get an acoustic set from 1970? Or a second set, complete or not, that fits on one disc?

For me, I prefer complete shows, but I understand Rhino’s probably not going to add 2-3 discs to these sets. Of course, if other artists can get a mutlidisc box set for one album, I’d argue the Dead should too.

Given the relatively thin number of great recordings from 1970 I am open to just about anything (How aboutsome missing 2/13 & 2/14 Fillmore tracks (Stuff not on DP 4 or Bear’s Choice)? I’d prefer a complete Feb. 70 Fillmore box, but I’m not sure Dave/Rhino will ever go there.

Thoughts?

3. Country Rocker

Surely 'Workingman's Dead' and 'American Beauty' qualify for a full box set treatment, as they are both quite rightly recognised as 5 star classic albums. I'm not sure how well these things sell these days, but there seems to be a final push by the record companies to make box sets out of albums on their 50th anniversary. Some good, some not so good. I would like to see a possible new remix of 'Workingman's Dead' on vinyl and CD, thrown in with a 7" of 'Uncle John's Band' a book, a tour poster and some facsimile goodies too. That's what I want, but I don't think that's what I'll get.

4. bluebacon

bluebacon Forum Resident

I would like to get a warts n' all everything left in the vault from 1970.
    Not a porch crusher but damn near close.
    Also, a Plangent Processes box set of all music on 2/13 & 2/14.
    Wishfully thinking...

5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

If GD didnt have the various archive series releases, I could see them doing a more extensive set for these albums.

Aoxomoxoa 50th didn't have a full show with it, so I wouldn't expect Workingman's to have either.

I'm pulling for something from late 69, they just did Jan 70 for Dave's Picks, and Workingman's Dead was recorded in Feb 70, but late 69 is when most of the material entered the repertoire and took shape.

An unreleased acoustic set would be perfect for American Beauty.

6. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

7. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Dave mentioned big plans for later in the year in the video for the '76 box. I could see a dead.net exclusive box for Workingman's Dead and American Beauty. Wishful thinking perhaps.

8. Guy Smiley

Add whatever’s in the vault of 2/11 to that box and I am ALL IN!

ABB, with Bear’s foundation did just that. Ball’s in your court, Dr. Rhino and Mr. Lemieux.

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. Guy Smiley

Why... not?

10. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

Workingman's Dead was the only GD record I ever owned. To me, it sounded really wimpy on LP, hardly any bottom end at all. Perhaps a remix would have me re-evaluate my original perception.

VU Master and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I’ve got the MFSL SACD and that’s probably all I’ll ever need. I think this one and American Beauty are more than worthy of a box-set retrospective, but I don’t usually care about outtakes and stuff.

toasty, d3adf1sh and Mark E. Moon like this.
  12. Guy Smiley

You should really have American Beauty.

13. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

Workingman's and AB would make a wonderful combined box full. They really are both sides of the same coin, and to celebrate them both in one project would feel less like a $$ grab and more an appreciation of how special these two recordings were for their time.

14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The MFSL 45 rpm sounds good on my stereo. Un-wimpy, but I can only attest to the SQ on my stereo.

15. Country Rocker

How are the MFSL CDs? Heard that they might be a bit bright compared to the 2003 remasters. Regarding vinyl: The 2011 pressings are very good indeed.

16. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I haven’t done any comparisons with American Beauty, and The MFSL of Workingman’s is all I have of that title, but to me they sound fantastic.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  17. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

That's true. The more box sets the merrier! :)

18. Decker

Decker Well-Known Member

I agree that dead.net exclusive box sets for WMD and AMB are very possible given the fact that they are releasing the 76 box set this month. They definitely have something up their sleeves.

19. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

Given that WMD and AB are the GD records that are most appealing to the general listener, I would think that a dead.net only release would be unlikely. How about a four CD set - 1 WMD; 2 AB; 3 studio outakes and singles; 4 a concert?

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'd buy box sets of both...I adore Workingman's Dead! play it all the time...

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed! while we still can get them!

ruben lopez and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  22. Peter Summer of '66

Peter Summer of '66 Active Member

Does anyone have any idea why they didn't do a 50th Anniv release of Live/Dead? I expected an announcement of its release last year but there never was one. Surely they could have put out a great bonus disc of live material - if not a full show, then a compilation like w/Aoxomoxoa. I'm really looking forward to Workingman's but am very disappointed they skipped over Live/Dead : /

23. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

Re: Live Dead. I think when this series was announced they said it was to focus on the band's studio output. ...by tacking on a live recording...???

d3adf1sh, PhoffiFozz, GerryO and 2 others like this.
  24. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Always preferred Workingman over Beauty, but they are best taken as a pair.

ronbow, Jazzmonkie, Electric and 6 others like this.
  25. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I'm the same, I think the production/sound on American Beauty is too slick for my tastes...

As for Live Dead, all the live recordings been released already on the various releases of the material recorded for the album

Now if it's alternate mixes you're into...

Grateful Dead Guide: Dark Star: A Tale of Four Mixes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.