New Movie "GRAVITY" teaser trailer. Looks suspenseful..

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

But perhaps not for some of us..

2. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

From director Alfonso Cuaron who I really admire (Children Of Men, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban). His involvement alone makes me want to see it.

3. pcfchung

pcfchung Active Member

Technically very challenging film. Everything is CG except for the actors' faces (sometimes even the faces are CG).

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Looks like "Open Water" in space to me.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Whatever it is, the entire thing is fake except for their faces? Geez, they should ban special effects from all movies for at least a year.

Drifter likes this.
  6. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Cuaron is a visionary. I feel like this is going to be really special. Rumor is that the first shot is 17 minutes.

progrocker71 likes this.
  7. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Looks fun. Should get more funding for NASA! lol!

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's harsh. Visual storytelling shouldn't be confined only to what you can actually capture with a camera. I haven't seen any Harry Potter movies, but I loved "Children Of Men", so I'll give Cuaron a chance here. Some of the scenes remind me of parts of Danny Boyle's "Sunshine" or one of the few good sequence from "Mission To Mars".

Whether its CGI, models or something else. I don't care as long as the filmmakers can make me feel I'm there. It's not as if they can take Clooney up into low earth orbit just to film this stuff for real.

jlevine31, kevintomb and dustybooks like this.
  9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Well said.

Classicolin likes this.
  10. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Even if you don't watch any of the other movies I HIGHLY recommend checking out Prisoner of Azkaban, easily my favorite of the Harry Potter films and I think it can stand beautifully by itself. A truly great fantasy film.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The most exiting thing I saw at the theater this weekend was the trailer for GRAVITY. I can't wait!!!! I'm one of the children of the sixties who loved the thrill of the space program. Tom Hanks stole my website domain before I could get it "Clavius Base" (from "2001"). I go nuts for good space movies (anyone remember "Marooned"?) So when I saw this trailer, I was thrilled. FINALLY a realistic space movie again. Star Wars is great, but it's not a 'space movie' to me. Ever since "2001" I am a nut for the minutia of space travel being realistically portrayed. Gravity looks like it could be what I've been longing for. I've ALWAYS wanted to write a movie like this. A completely realistic telling of what would happen during an accident in space. I hope they keep most of the movie up in space and don't flash back and forth between efforts on earth too much. Just a 'survival in space' movie. That would be brilliant and unique. The easy way to tell it would be tracking a parallel rescue mission on earth, but the fascinating way to tell it would be how would these helpless figures dashed into the void of space survive? (Anyone remember the great Ray Bradbury story "Kaleidoscope" about the astronauts blown into space?). I can't wait for Gravity!! Finally, the promise of some adult sci fi!!! Oh yeah, it wasn't until I saw that trailer twice that I spotted George Clooney inside one of the suits!

12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm sick of CGI but in this case if the movie has a good story and is well acted then I'm in. I loved Children Of men. I watched my Blu-ray copy of Michael Clayton the other night because I wanted to a good movie with a plot.

13. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I've read the script. You may be in for a treat :) (Though the key word there is "may":shh: )

14. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

As long as they don't have sound in space. The worst offense for movies taking place in space. It is a vacuum, there is no sound.

2001 realistically dealt with this (and gravity).

In space, nobody can hear you scream... :D

Looking forward to this movie.

Dave and Macman like this.
  15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Looks very good... Just floating away....

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, well. Can you imagine going to a cineplex and not hearing an explosion onscreen? The world would end....

17. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

sounds like the tag line to a cheesy space horror movie

18. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Lol, it was a tagline. To Alien. A not so cheesy movie... :)

Dave and dhoffa85 like this.
  19. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

oh right duh! I guess in space your blood won't spray and flow either not so good for slasher films

20. hanleyp

hanleyp Forum Resident

Looks interesting. You will have to give the film makers some latitude with the sound in space issue because sound effects help build the tension and tell the story to a certain degree. Another problem is because space is a vacuum you wouldn't have any sensation of movement if you were untethered and floating away or tumbling away, but again it is just a popcorn movie.

21. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

MoonTrap is coming to dvd;)

22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

indeed:)

[​IMG]

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  23. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to this one. I hope it is as good as it can be within that concept.

24. townsend

townsend Senior Member

WHitese likes this.
  25. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Most people are laughing at the trailers.
    I think Miss Bullock should never came back from hitaus from acting.
    After watching What About Steve , I could no longer stand her.
    She had the 90's though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.