Great Albums cobbled together from leftovers from previous album sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aar Gal, Feb 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

OnYou don't even have to soften that with an LOL

EVOLVIST and music4life like this.
  2. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far personally, but... I think they are certainly off that same highest level quality... and... it's a nice opening to take pause to highlight & praise his 1980 material.

I think the final Lennon solo sessions/era is/are as fave a Lennon solo work(s) as I have ('70-'71 is about equal) & the virtual album of material would have been my single fave solo album of his.

I think the best of the best would involve-"Grow Old With Me" (probably my absolute favorite from this time) & "Nobody Told Me" from "Milk & Honey"... "Woman", "Watching The Wheels" & "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" from "Double Fantasy"... and I toss in "Real Love" by John & The Threetles.

Not quite that, but still terrific accounts for "I Don't Want To Face It", "I'm Steppin' Out" & "Borrowed Time" from "Milk & Honey"... "(Just Like) Starting Over", "Clean-Up Time" & "I'm Losing You" from "Double Fantasy"... and I'd toss in "Free As A Bird" by Long (gone) John & his Silver Threetles...

I do prefer his weakest track on "Double Fantasy", "Dear Yoko" to "(Forgive Me) My Little Flower Princess", his weakest on "Milk & Honey". Overall though either album has a great crop of Lennon tracks.

I can say that I do prefer Yoko's material on "Milk & Honey" to her "Double Fantasy" tracks- though I think they are both very good with moments of greatness.
    Without being quite as exhaustive/complete, I'll say "Let Me Count The Ways" (my favorite) & "You're The One" are my faves from "Milk & Honey"- with "Your Hands" nearly as great. From "Double Fantasy" I'd say "Every Woman Has A Man Who Loves Her" is my fave... with "Walking On Thin Ice" close behind (from sessions from that era, although not on either album) with "Hard Times Are Over" nearly as great.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    jricc and Aar Gal like this.
  3. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Physical Graffiti and Living in the Past have already been mentioned, and they were the first to spring to mind. I'd add another underrated classic by Tull War Child, with much of the ideas springing from the previous A Passion Play/Château d'Hérouville sessions.

deredordica, Greg Gee, BrentB and 6 others like this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Most (all?) of Steve Miller's BOOK OF DREAMS was recorded during the sessions for FLY LIKE AN EAGLE (the previous album).

5. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Anthony Phillips - Private Parts & Pieces
    Anthony Phillips - Private Parts & Pieces II Back to the Pavilion
    Anthony Phillips - Private Parts & Pieces III Antiques
    Anthony Phillips - Private Parts & Pieces IV A Catch at the Tables
    Anthony Phillips - Private Parts & Pieces V Twelve
    Anthony Phillips - Private Parts & Pieces VI Ivory Moon
    Anthony Phillips - Private Parts & Pieces VII Slow Waves, Soft Stars
    Anthony Phillips - Private Parts & Pieces VIII New England
    Anthony Phillips - Private Parts & Pieces IX Dragonfly Dreams
    Anthony Phillips - Private Parts & Pieces X Soirée
    Anthony Phillips - Private Parts & Pieces XI City of Dreams

6. Mark R. Y.

Mark R. Y. Getting deep down

I like this album too, but is there anywhere a list that distinguishes which tracks are new and which are older?

joy stinson likes this.
  7. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Didn't they write/record that on tour? I think it was a then-new creation, not a collection of old tracks from the "Achtung" sessions...

ARK, Chemguy, Colocally and 1 other person like this.
  9. Oatsdad

Those weren't made up of "leftovers" - they were chopped up versions of the UK albums mixed with singles, mainly...

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Yeah, I think a lot of the albums cited here are really compilations of unused tracks, not "new albums" in the same way that "Tattoo You" was.

IMO, if the album didn't come out when the artist was active/alive, then it's not an album of leftovers in the manner intended. It seems like it needs to be an album composed of old tracks the artist revives and passes off as "new"...

limoges, ARK, mr.datsun and 1 other person like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Van Halen's "A Different Kind of Truth" uses lots and lots of old, unused songs.

I think all got re-recorded for the album, but most - all? - of the album came from songs written decades earlier...

The Fiftieth Beatle and ARK like this.
  12. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

The bonus disc of the deluxe Some Girls would be a good one if it had actually been marketed as a new album. It is a beauty that I put above a good number of Stones records and is more than a collection of outtakes. I believe that Mick provided some new vocals on some of the tracks and an effort was made to make it sound very complete

Glad Man and Sean like this.
  13. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

14. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

What portion of stay came from AB ?

15. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

What about Costello's Kojak Variety?

16. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Would have been even better if it had included Carl Palmer's drum concerto!

newelectricmuse likes this.
  17. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I did think about that. It does qualify.

Grahamstuartcanada likes this.
  18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That was a fully considered album though. It just got released a few years later than intended.

phillyal1 likes this.
  19. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Does The Who's Odds n Sodds and Oasis's The Masterplan count. Either way they are both great albums!

20. Splanky

Splanky Active Member

The Kinks' Great Lost Kinks Album - it may not have any underlying concept and was simply thrown together by the record company but there's a high concentration of very good songs indeed and it's well sequenced.

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Julie left Decca for Fontana so Decca made their own new album out of scraps

Library Eye, NumberEight and Sean like this.
  22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Then whaddya say we go all the way with Nightcap, the Chateau sessions laid bare.
    [​IMG]

23. brentolie

brentolie El Aventurero

Oh, it's a great album.

ARK, Sean and Chemguy like this.
  24. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

No because they were made as compilations not as a “new album”.

Lost In The Flood and Aar Gal like this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Producer Jack Richardson revisits the unfinished album sessions in between American Woman and Share The Land, that were scrapped when Randy left The Guess Who. Released after Burton finally left the band himself.
    [​IMG]
    And frankly, with all the unfocused years Burton gave us, with all the substance abuse and inscrutable lyrics, turns out this was the album I had been waiting for, all that time.

Chemically altered likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.