Great Giant Killer Wolfsen DAC Dedicated CD player-Onkyo C-7030

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Beave, Jul 5, 2014.

1. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

He is just pointing out Stereophile wrote about that product he is pointing to on Amazon.

BilboAlaska and bluemooze like this.
  2. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    bluemooze likes this.
  3. kbuzz

kbuzz Forum Resident

Anyone have any idea what the going rate for the 7030 is. I see it's about $179 on Amazon. Is that a decent price?

4. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Lowest price at one point was $135 ?

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Or lower at one point, I paid 139 shipped

6. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I have yet to see that price again in a long time.

7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

According to The Tracktor, the lowest price it ever got to on Amazon was $129 back in August 2014. Here's the pricing history - just select "lifetime" over the graph to see the entire history at Amazon, both new and used:

Amazon pricing history of Onkyo C-7030

8. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Good thread. I've had my C-7030 for about 4 months now and I'm happy to report no problems. It runs smooth, sounds great and has never failed to perfectly track even moderately scratched CDs. It does make a faint pop sound when starting or stopping a disk, as others have reported, but that doesn't bother me. The C-7030 replaced my Yamaha carousel from the 1990's that has been extremely durable through several house moves and many years of daily use. I did an A:B comparison between the Yamaha and the C-7030 and the Onkyo wiped the floor with the Yami in all respects: soundstage, imaging, vocals, bass and especially the high treble which had a harsh edge on the Yamaha. Better headphone amp too. I can only hope the Onkyo proves to be as durable!

c-eling, bhazen and bru87tr like this.
  9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Well mine's been running 18 months now being on 24 hours a day with no issues.

One day I left the CD drawer open and ran into it tearing it off.

I was mad as hell until I realized it can simply be pushed right back in. :faint::uhhuh::faint:

bluemooze likes this.
  10. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

That's good to know! Thanks.

11. kbuzz

kbuzz Forum Resident

Anyone happen to compare this player to the Emotiva ERC 3 at $399? Need a transport and or player....thanks

12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

FWIW, my Onkyo C7030 is still running perfectly after running continual 24/7 for near 2 years now.
    It is never shut off nor is my Teac Dac.

I'm still very pleased with the sound from the C7030 into the Teac UD-H01 DAC it's running into.

A wonderful, low priced digital combo.
    I got the C7030 for $139 and the Teac DAC for $189. Both new.

For $328 bucks this is most likely the best sounding low priced CD rig possibly available to be put together in the last 2+ year time period.

Not sure where prices have gone now though.

Again, I've not had any quality issues with my C7030.

Luck of the draw, or perhaps bad ones were the subject of rough handling in shipping?

Sure, it does not beat out my main rig digital setup, a Musical Fidelity late model M1 DAC running with a Pioneer Elite PD-S95 transport. But that setup is well over 5 times more expensive.

As always... YMMV.

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Well, my long-serving and much beloved Technics deck, SL-P900, started skipping on discs, especially the more packed-out anthologies from Ace and Bear Family. It was time to replace it and I joined the 7030 club. I just couldn't justify the nearly tenfold cost of the Onkyo 7000-R.

The 7030's currently breaking in and I hope it's as good as everyone reports. Still available from authorized dealers -- and be careful, very few e-sellers are actually warranty-eligible Onkyo dealers -- for ~$160 on the 'net.

Dino likes this.
  14. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Let us know what you think of it. I think you'll be pretty happy for the coin.

15. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I have a problem with my onkyo 7030 clicking or popping when I fast forward.

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I was pushing buttons on my remote and accidentally put the unit into locked mode. The drawer would not open. I had to call an Oppo service center to find out how to unlock it. There was nothing in the manual or in a internet search...

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Why is that a problem on a cheapo player, as long as it fast forwards, or is it you like the sound of alvin and the chipmonks and the clicking is interfering with your listening pleasure.:D:p

mikeyt and Heavy Music like this.
  18. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Ok Tullman, what buttons did you push to put it into locked mode, & how did you unlock it?
    Thanks.

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

hahahaha, I knew someone would take the bait.

Actually, I don't know what buttons I pushed to put the thing into locked mode. I wasn't looking at the remote when pushing the buttons, I was looking at the display. I guess Onkyo added this feature to keep people (kids) from using the player.

I had push the forward button and the on button at the same time for a few seconds.

Rodant Kapoor, Dino and Heavy Music like this.
  20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I find it strange the Onkyo included this feature and didn't mention it in the users manual.

Dino and Heavy Music like this.
  21. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I don't mind it so much except the popping is fairly loud even at low volume and I'm afraid of tweeter damage -even if it is through my lowly Bose 301s.

22. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

This has been discussed either up-thread, or in one of the other 7030 threads. Some folks had a clicking sound while fast forwarding. Mine does it, but only in the left channel, and not loud at all. If yours is popping that loudly, you might want to request an exchange if you're still under warranty.

My ancient 3rd generation SONY used to do it in 1985, and it still does!

23. Heavy Music

Maybe try the same button sequence for locking. You never know!

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, go ahead and let me know how it works out for you.

25. Heavy Music

I would have tried it already, except that I am out of town. I will try it when I get home next month. :righton: