Great Giant Killer Wolfsen DAC Dedicated CD player-Onkyo C-7030

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Beave, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Should have asked for a 10% discount on the dented unit and kept it.

c-eling and Jerryb like this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Bought my 7030 on Amazon a couple of month (2 or 3). It's been fine so far, and arrived in good new shape. No complaints. Sound-wise, it provides sweeter dedicated CD playback than my Onkyo Cs5-vl SACD played did, costing 3 times the price of 7030. I guess I've been lucky so far.

3. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Bummer.

My first one has been on continuously for 2 years now without a hiccup. The second refurb was on for a week playing 24/7 and now is in my office system and has been working perfectly for over 2 months now.

I have to wonder if there was something like a first batch that works perfect and second batch to fulfill the sudden demand that was somehow made inferior.

Jerryb likes this.
  4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not really, I bought 2 of these years ago and both are still working fine. Of course they are not getting tons of use, but still one of them is out in the dusty garage.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, you never know, they may be using a different drive now for all we know.

6. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Wow sorry to hear that! I would have given up and moved to another brand...unless there is a reason you really want that one. I received a NAD C516BEE this week, it was a lemon. I will see if the next one is better. If not, I will move on.

Jerryb likes this.
  7. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

old nad was awesome...the new stuff us kinda blah...

i would go for rotel for upper mid fi/ lower high end stuff...

ymmv, of course...

8. Marcmusic

Marcmusic Forum Resident

I bought one of these two years ago. I'd never owned any sort of decent audio equipment. I finally looked at all my CDs & decided I should upgrade a bit. Great purchase! I've enjoyed listening to my music more than ever before. Completely rejuvenated my cd collection.

Rodant Kapoor and JeffMo like this.
  9. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Wow, Jerry, that's the pits. I'm sorry you've had such a bad run with this model. If what has happened to you happened to me, I would definitely hang it up and go for something else at this point. That is a real drag.

Jerryb likes this.
  10. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Anyone compared with Tascam CD-200?​

11. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Love my C-7030 - it's in my secondary system. Liked it so much, in fact, that I bought the Onkyo A-9010 integrated amp as a companion piece. Really enjoying both pieces, paired with the Pioneer BS22LR speakers. Nice little setup.

12. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

It's for a secondary office system...so the price was right. My main spinner is Naim CD5i :righton:

bhazen and tmtomh like this.
  13. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

i see, and naim is good stuff...never heard it before though...

14. Music1212

Music1212 Forum Resident

Mine is 2 years old. Not a lot of use. No problems.

15. Marcmusic

Marcmusic Forum Resident

I have mine paired with the BS22 speakers as well. I know there are much better speakers out there & I'll look in them one day but this was a great intro to higher quality audio for me!

tmtomh, bluemooze and Adam9 like this.
  16. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

I bought a C-7030 in May from Amazon and have been thinking about picking another up as a backup. I checked out Amazon tonight and they are out of them and it doesn't say that they have more on order either? I then checked out the 3rd party sellers selling the unit and it shows a bunch of units from the seller "Amazon Warehouse"?
    I myself went through having to return two defective units before I got one that worked. I wonder if those are all lemons that got returned to Amazon and are now being sold under the name "Amazon Warehouse"? Either way I was bummed to see that Amazon doesn't have it in stock and it looks like they might not be having it in stock in the future?
    I wonder if Onkyo is discontinuing the model?

17. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Maybe thay had too many complaints/returns with it?

Sears is showing them in stock and for $149 free shipping fulfilled by Electronics Expo. That looks to be the best current price.

18. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Just received my giant killer, doing the first tests. But my Eagles' Greatest Hits DCC sounds marvelous...

[​IMG]

MedozK, scobb, Daniel Thomas and 4 others like this.
  19. Tony Stark

Tony Stark New Member

I've had mine for around 4 years now. I use it everyday, not a hiccup of any kind. Got some Zep on currently. Still sounds great and looks great next to my Onkyo RZ-800. The same green readouts satisfy my OCD greatly. Though truth be told I want to try a "newer" cd player cause, well, I love to shop, and reading only does so much lol

I've read through this entire thread and other online review/comparisons about how the more expensive players didn't necessarily blow the 7030 away, or even the cases of near identical sound and function. But like I said I love to shop and am heavily considering auditioning the Marantz CD-6006. We shall see.

20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I'd probably just opt for a new DAC for the 7030. I'm running a Teac UD-H01 and I love it with the 7030.

jriems likes this.
  21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Care to provide your updated thoughts after a couple months of use?

22. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

I have been seriously considering doing this since I bought my 7030. You're 100% happy with the upgraded DAC?

23. Tony Stark

Tony Stark New Member

So I've read! I've enjoyed your comments very much prior to creating my profile :cool:

Would you mind describing the difference in sound output/quality with the Teac unit? Tyvm!

24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've been living with the Teac for over 2 years now and I love it, it also has a very good headphone amp.

25. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

It's hard to describe & I hate using those fluff and BS words so oft used in magazines, but my overall impression with long term use is the Teac is simply more pleasing sounding to my ears, I hate to use the word, but it's more "musical".