Great Giant Killer Wolfsen DAC Dedicated CD player-Onkyo C-7030

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Beave, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Aesthetically? Probably the elderly A5VL as The Beave said. Though give it one of the beefier AV amps in the company's range and it'd be as sweet as a nut.

2. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

This looks like a pretty good deal, but what's the point of a 24/192 DAC without FLAC or WAV support?

3. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it! Thread Starter

Awesome. Really looking forward to the comparison!
    the beave

4. The Beave

Oops. Sorry your right! But there is a cheaper version I was thinking about.
    the beave

5. The Beave

To give the engineers more lee way in designing the filtering circuit. 24 bit allows a smoother filtering without it banging down on the top end where artifacts would be audible. Around the 20khz range. And looking at the graph/plot it would look like they've succeeded.
    the beave

mikeyt likes this.
  6. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Sorry for the late reply, but I have an Onkyo TX-NR709, and from looking at the player images it appears to have the same style power button and so on, which should make it a nice aesthetic fit. I'll know for sure tomorrow, when they arrive :agree:

bhazen and c-eling like this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I use the same AVR, let me know how she mates :cheers:

8. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Will do! :righton: Need to check out the manual to figure out how/where to hook it up. I dread going behind it, as aside from the usual stuff I have it set up to play SACD 5.1 from an older Samsung. It's a snake pit back there!

c-eling likes this.
  9. The Beave

Use ANY Line Level input: Aux, Tuner, CD, Tape 1.
    they will all work.
    the beave

frank3si likes this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

lol, mine also, more than likely use the direct/pure, I never could find info if the 709 completely bypassed it's own dac using those modes though :shrug:

frank3si likes this.
  11. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Yes, but it's already handling a LOT of traffic - Blu-Ray player, DVD/VHS deck, cable TV, Laserdisc player, turntable, DVD/DVD-A/SACD player. I'll probably go with the "PC In" opening, as long as I can ascertain there's nothing unusual about that. Then I'll just have to remember PC = "Play Compactdisc" :laugh:

12. Brother_Rael

There's probably a rename option on the menus. I use this for the PC input which is now CD2 on the display readout!

frank3si likes this.
  13. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Makes sense, but it's more an issue of the permanent labeling on the remote control. These configurations are pretty complex, but I'll muddle through, though! Looking forward to the CD players arriving...

Brother_Rael likes this.
  14. Brother_Rael

Ah, on the remote itself, that is a manual solution!

15. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

Well, I bought the Onkyo from Amazon on Sunday night at 11 PM and my invoice still states "preparing for shipment".....what are they doing, building it?

Patience, I know, patience....but they have had my money to use for four days and I only have a promise on the internet.....E-commerce strikes again!

Comet Supply, anyone??

End of rant.....

16. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

What type of shipping did you choose?

17. duvallite

duvallite Well-Known Member

I ordered on Sunday also, and my order also still shows as "preparing for shipment", with the estimated delivery date being 7-11 thru 7-16. I chose the free shipping. Hope it ships soon.

18. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I ordered mine Tuesday and it is scheduled for free delivery tomorrow. No rhyme or reason, pure luck of the draw, this time I get the break.

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

So what "giants" has this player killed, exactly?

20. The Beave

Sheit you guys.....YOU BOUGHT THEM OUT!!
    The Hoffman Elite does it again! :D
    The heads at Onkyo are scratching their heads going? "We're going to have to do another Run of these. I wonder if I should listen to it????
    Duh!
    All good. You'll get yours. I'll look into it and give Amazon a swift kick to the boot and get them out to you!
    the beave
    it's all good.

21. The Beave

Let's NOT get into semantics here Chad. I named the thread that because it has been MY experience with the player.
    And if you go through the hundreds of reviews of it on Amazon you'll see that there is something good about this machine.
    I'm NOT trying to 'slay the giant' but finding a dedicated CD deck for under $2 bills that seems to have the sonic attributes
    of decks going for over a thousand dollars led me to use that title.
    nothing more man. If you have a $2k deck and you like it....cool.
    Just please don't look too much into a good thing.
    thanks
    the beave

bru87tr and Brother_Rael like this.
  22. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

#1 Best Seller in CD players at the moment...

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm just wondering because a lot of guys at other sites call it cold sounding. I'd like to hear it in a shootout with a Rega or the like. But we all have different tastes. I'm glad you enjoy yours.

24. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Well, that's been the general knock on Onkyo (and some other Asian electronics). I've not heard the suspect under investigation, but my own Onkyo deck seems to inhabit the same side of neutral as my Rega Planet.

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am not an audio designer or engineer. I have very little technical knowledge about digital audio. I can only speak from my personal listening experiences.

I started in the 80's with a Kyocera cd player, which was horrible and I returned. A few years later, I picked up a new Denon 1520. This was a well built good sounding cd player. I then got the Krell MD-2 transport with a Krell SPB 32X DAC, which sounded better than the Denon. The DACs were a newer design. Then I got a Krell 20i cd player which sounded better the old Krell, again new DAC design. Next, I went with the APL 3910, which used the latest AK DACs at the time. This is a great sounding player, I did a side by side comparison and the APL 3910 was is a different league than the Krell 20i and cost much less. Now, I have the Esoteric K-O5 cd player which lists for less than the Krell 20i and is using the new AK DACs. This is the best cd player of them all.

I had a Denon 1520 in the same system with my Onkyo 7030 and I believe the Onkyo sounds much better. The Onkyo lists for $200 and the Denon listed for $800 in 1988 dollars. I feel like the build quality of the Denon was better than the Onkyo. So why does the 7030 sound so much better than the Denon? Not because of transport or power supply and build quality. I think it is the newer DACs.

The Onkyo C-7000R has very good build quality and different DACs than the 7030. I compared the 7000R to the 7030, 3910, and the K0-5. The 7000R was better than the 7030, but was not in the high end league of the other two players.

For decades now, I have been using cd players which I felt were really good sounding cd players. I thought, really, could there be anymore that a cd player can get out of cds? And every time I got a newer player it bested the sonic quality of the previous player. I use the MFSL Steve Windwood, "Talking Back To The Night", cd as a reference whenever I get a new piece of equipment. I listened to the cd again yesterday with the Esoteric cd player. I was hearing subtleties that I was never aware of before. This is the best I have heard the MFSL cd sound. The Esoteric was making the cd sound like a SACD!

From my experiences, I believe, CD player design has improved a lot over the last 20 years. I think the $1500. Onkyo sounds better than the $9000. Krell 20i did. In other words, if you have a early 90's vintage cd player, you may want to look around and see what new players are out there.

Kristofa, Dino and LeeS like this.