Great Interview With Bernie Grundman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 18, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

2. George P

3. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Here's a new one posted last week. I don't have patience to listen to podcasts but I enjoyed this!
    Desktop:
    https://www.caropop.com/caropopcast...uqswNlGKytobJHQCwe19jNyK2oMfpsb8LVCwJAK8IMEUc
    Spotify:
    Bernie Grundman
    Apple Podcasts:
    ‎Caropop: Bernie Grundman on Apple Podcasts

"Bernie Grundman is a legendary mastering engineer, but what is mastering, and why do people look for “BG” in the dead wax of vinyl albums? He has mastered some of the greatest, and greatest sounding, recordings of all time, including Joni Mitchell's Blue, Steely Dan’s Aja, Michael Jackson’s Off the Wall and Thriller, Prince’s classic run and OutKast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below. He’s an enthusiastic talker as he discusses working with these famous artists, what he thinks of vinyl vs. CDs, and which sounds better, a pristine original album or one remastered on modern equipment? Prepare to have your ears opened."

MEMark likes this.
  4. George P

Thanks a lot for posting this! I enjoy listening to Bernie talk about mastering.

RnRmf likes this.
  5. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

This is GREAT--especially the comments about CDs and focusing on the music vs. the sound quality of a recording, starting at around 1:04:00. Thanks!

RnRmf and George P like this.
  6. Drummer2468

Drummer2468 Forum Resident

That was a fun listen, thanks. I thought the interviewer had more-thoughtful than your average prepared questions. I wasn’t aware of Bernie’s thoughts around 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch tape.

RnRmf likes this.
  7. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

Hearing Bernie Grundman say that buying LPs is a real headache cracked me up!

8. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I have to listen the older interview that George posted because the PS Audio page seems to suggest that Bernie is saying that LP’s sound better than cd but I get the opposite impression in the new interview.

9. granola

granola Forum Resident

LA特派員ノリさんの「ノリノリMusic Life」バーニー・グランドマンさんにインタビューしました!

(Recent interview with Bernie Grundman (in English). "Special Bonus" at 19:24.)

George P likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.