Great Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by listentothemusic, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. listentothemusic

listentothemusic New Member Thread Starter

I'm three cuts into a CD I picked up used today - "SuperBass" featuring Ray Brown, John Clayton and Christian McBride. It was recorded live at Sculler's.

Great bass playing and sounds SOOOO wonderful thru the Magnepans! What a great disc, and I only paid $4.98! I need more finds like this one!

2. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Three great Bass players. Ray Brown is outstanding. John Clayton is one
    of my favorite acoustical bass players of all time. Christian McBride is one of the new generation Bassists who understands the roots Jazz and of hard bop. Certainly very much at the top of the list.

I'm not familiar with the SuperBass. What label is it recorded under?

3. listentothemusic

listentothemusic New Member Thread Starter

It's a Telarc release (20 bit digital recording). The catalog number is CD-83393.

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I'm going to go one nomination at a time, because individual performances, given my limited experience with jazz(compared to many of you), preclude anything really comprehensive.

RICHARD DAVIS for Van Morrison's ASTRAL WEEKS(1968)

Though Morrison was considered rock, his jazz tendencies(obvious later)were laid bare here, and Davis' punctuating work a hallmark of economy and perfection. He seems to follow one moment, guide the next. When I began to understand what jazz was, I realized ASTRAL WEEKS is really a cool jazz Lp unlike any other, except that its avatar was, just over a year earlier, the guy who sang the bouncy, timeless "Brown-Eyed Girl."

ED:cool:

5. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Thanks!

I think Telarc has a Real Player or Windows Media link up for most of their
    CD releases. It's time to head over there and give a listen.:)

6. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Nice recommendation. The cd sounds really good. Wish they would release an SACD version. The sequel so to speak to this disk, SuperBass 2 is excellent sound quality in SACD. Performance not quite as energizing as the first, but still nice.

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Ed's Pick #2:

RON CARTER for Roberta Flack's FIRST TAKE.

I'm in the wrong thread, I guess; bye.

ED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.