Great Laserdisc (physical media) concerts that never made it to DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GiorgioV, Jan 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

It was shot on film and released in the theaters. Here's a thread discussing it, which includes a link to view the trailer in widescreen, and some comparisons from that trailer to the cropped laserdisc: No Nukes in widescreen

If you want to spend about $900 you can buy a 35mm print here: 35mm full feature movie film rare print - No Nukes 1980, Not on DVD / Blu-Ray | eBay

This is my single biggest want for Blu-ray or HD streaming. Someday I hope...someday.

budwhite, GiorgioV and Chris DeVoe like this.
  2. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident Thread Starter

Had a look at the comparison. Well, I was considering buying this LD, but I guess I'll wait and hope for a proper widescreen edition. There's way too much image loss.

3. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

'The Who Rocks America' Live in Toronto 1982 final show.
    The LD has a superb stereo audio track.
    The DVD is a blatant pirate release taken from a VHS tape ...………. with fake 5.1 audio.

4. GiorgioV

I have a VHS rip of WRA. The Shea Stadium gig, from the same tour, is available on SD blu ray, but IMO the concert's feel is not as good as the former.

5. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

38 Special: Wild Eyed and Live -- The LD is from a pro-concert shot around '82 and to my knowledge has never been released in a smaller disc higher definition format (I have the LD, the proud is in it's prime with all key members present)

Grand Funk Railroad: Were An American Band Tour -- (circa '75, probably shot on the West coast capturing their transition phase from hard crunching rockers to soulful tunes with more harmonies and keyboard.. GFR still boogied but the vibe was more R&B on the later albums. Not released stateside, I purchased the Japanese import and took the cover to a signing event where all three original members autographed it. They were qut'

I'll stop there for now and go through the rest of my LD collection soon.

:cheers:
    Cat

zphage likes this.
  6. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Yes I also converted my WRA VHS via DVD recorder but synched on a superb FM stereo radio audio source onto it with better mix of Pete's guitar in the right channel.
    The Shea audio lacks atmosphere/ambience from the multitrack mix.
    I can't imagine there wasn't much audience noise from 72,000 fans!
    Possibly the ambience mics were at the front of the stage and the large distance/pit between them and the audience at typical stadium concerts didn't record it well?

7. GiorgioV

That is some good thinking :D
    The VHS audio is, of course, underwhelming, to say the least.

8. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

The problem is how long will we be waiting? If we knew it'd be released in a year or two, then it would make waiting easier. But there's really no news of this coming out.

On LDDB.com, they have use listings for as low as $5. All of my enthusiasm for this concert has come from the 4:3 version, so it's still immensely enjoyable despite the cropping. If you're really keen to watch it soon, it's definitely worth that much.

GiorgioV likes this.
  9. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

US version doesn't have it.

10. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I have this LD; I did not realize there wasn't a DVD release of it. I'm watching it now on my creaky Pioneer DVD/LD player.

GiorgioV and Quadboy like this.
  11. GiorgioV

Man, you should seriously consider going region free :D
    Really, either via pc/software or through a modified (even better: imported) player, there is just so much to enjoy :D

R. Cat Conrad likes this.
  12. GiorgioV

Yeah, I had checked those out. If it was just the cost of the disc, it would be a no brainer. But I do not own a laserdisc player, I have them ripped by a professional, far from where I live. So, between the disc cost, the shipping cost, and the ripping cost, it would take around 60 Euro. A little less, if I were to ship more discs together, but still.
    Too much, in this case. I have spent more for some disc I really wanted, like some 80 Euro just to purchase Hall & Oates' "Liberty concert" disc (and what a beauty that one is :D ) plus shipping and ripping, but it is more of an exception to the rule.

JAuz likes this.
  13. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I have this and it’s great. I transferred it to DVD myself. I used 2 discs, 1 for each side.
    There’s a DVD out there with the TV broadcast that is slightly different from the official release.

Oatsdad likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I had - and maybe still have - a VHS bootleg copy I bought at a record convention in 1989. Lousy quality, but beggars, choosers! :)

15. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I have this on DVD, I think it's from Argentina. No worries though, it's region free.

It has Scenes From The Big Chair, Going To California and an interview with Chris Hughes. A great bargain and I think I paid about $10 for it.

Those filmed 1985 concert scenes from Toronto's Massey Hall are stellar. I wish we could have that who show as a concert video. It'd look great in blu-ray!

16. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

Nope on the KISSology but yeah, I've had a bootleg DVD that is a straight transfer from the laser disc for years. Absolutely nothing from Animalize (other than an odd Mark St. John easter egg) made it onto the KISSologies.

17. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Devo De-Evolution (other than the abridged Rhino DVD with MP3 sound). Criterion needs to put this out still.

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Speak of the Devil https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085KGGLY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9BQtCb7QKMFRC

The Speak of the Devil DVD is legit, I have it, and it is pretty good. Not sure why it is so expensive, though.

19. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Laurie Anderson's Home Of The Brave

nedison likes this.
  20. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

This thread is reminding me that I need to scan or photograph all the remaining LD's in my collection. I haven't watched them recently (I need to dust off my LD player in storage and see if it's still operable), but I have a number of rare music imports (with OBIs) that've never been re-released in a DVD or BD format.

:cheers:
    Cat

GiorgioV likes this.
  21. recoverydog

recoverydog Forum Resident

Laurie Anderson - Home Of The Brave

nedison likes this.
  22. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

That Blu-Ray just sort of felt "flat." The Rocks America VHS has been uploaded to YouTube for sometime and is an enjoyable watch.

23. GiorgioV

Exactly. Go figure why they didn't just release WRA in a superior format, instead of the other gig.

24. nsmith1002

nsmith1002 Forum Resident

David Sylvian And Robert Fripp – Live In Japan

I remember this being offered from Wayside Music for all of $9 back in the late 1990's.
    I didn't buy it because I did not own a Laserdisc player. I could have borrowed a player from someone I knew to watch it but at that time I figured it would eventually get a dvd release. Well, twenty years have now passed...
    I believe that this concert was originally a television broadcast and it's my understanding that sometimes these broadcasts can be difficult to secure rights to?

Billy Infinity likes this.
  25. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

I can think of two of my favorites:

Wham! "Foreign Skies" (concert in China)

Pat Metheny Group " More Travels".

I'm not quite sure if there has been an official DVD of the latter, I think I saw one on Ebay once from a seller in Hong Kong :shrug:

Splungeworthy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.