Great Laserdisc (physical media) concerts that never made it to DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GiorgioV, Jan 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Phil Collins - Live at Perkins Palace
    Phil Collins - No Ticket Required

pool_of_tears likes this.
  2. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Going through some LD's in a tote of LD's that I bought probably 10 years ago. Is The Police Live Ghosts In The Machine released on DVD? Have a Japanese LD with OBI. Thanks.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I believe it got a Japanese release on DVD. Might not have been in print long, but I saw the import, and it looked legit.

Apollo C. Vermouth likes this.
  4. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Madonna: The Virgin Tour Live (1985) [07JL-38105]
    Daryl Hall & John Oates: The Liberty Concert (1985) [G47M0319] (mentioned on original post)
    Debbie Gibson: Live In Concert - The `Out Of The Blue` Tour (1988) [PA-89-244]
    Art of Noise: In Visible Silence (1986) [080 382-1]
    Tina Turner: Break Every Rule (1987) [PA-87-197]
    Tina Turner: Private Dancer Tour Live (1985) [PA-85-140] (the VHS of this is excellent (both PQ and Audio))
    Tiffany: Live in Japan (1988) [55P6-9032]

Come on Pioneer, make a new player weighing 32Kg, Laserdisc is the best :love::D

Kiko1974 likes this.
  5. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

:confused: :doh: :shake:

Larry Geller likes this.
  6. The three Yngwie Malmsteen concerts are available on DVD. Live At Budokan" was releases by Pony Canion in Japan over 10 years ago. There an European DVD called "Far Beyond The Sun" that compiles "Live in Tokyo" and a live concert in Moscow that may be the "Trial By Fire" concert. It's an official 2006 release by Universal, it has no Region Code and just in case you're in the US video is NTSC. Unfortunately it seems to be out of print. It looks and sound fine for the era, it has a Dolby Digital stereo track and a 5.1 DTS track.

https://www.amazon.es/YNGWIE-J-MALM...yngwie+malmsteen&qid=1566078968&s=dvd&sr=1-28[​IMG]

Partyslammer likes this.
  7. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

I used to have a lot of music related laser discs that are no longer available on current formats. You mentioned The Cure In Orange, which is one, but also had video collections by The Cure, The Curch (early stuff), New Order (Substance) and I had that Black Crowes documentary Who's That Bird Up On Your Window Sill that had some funny moments and featured Marc Ford in rehearsal just railing it on a Les Paul. I miss those video collections a lot. The sound on them was great, too, especially the AC-3 releases. There's a lot of cartoon collections I had that I miss, too, like The Complete Tex Avery Collection and others that you can't get anymore.

8. Greg Gee

I saw the Neil Young solo Trans tour; never knew it was released on ld. That was considered quite the technical achievement at the time.

9. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

For years, the only place to get "The Ventures- Beloved Invaders" was on Laserdisc.

To this day, there is a super rare LD of The Lettermen Live in Japan that I have never been able to find. I'd buy it in a second if I could find it.

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I wonder what sort of legal gymnastics it would take to get the majority of these properties re-licensed and get put back to work in modern-day formats that could start making money again for these artists, management and labels. I wonder how far Eagle Vision or similar companies have gone to try make that a reality in region-free DVD or Blu, and surround mixes.

11. I think not many people are interested on Concert videos and music videos anymore. Everytime I go to my local FNAC (a French franchise that has mid to big stores in Europe) I see less and less CD's more LP records and very little music and concert videos and those are only on BD,no DVD's what tells me they are aimed at a niche market. It's a pitty as some sounded outstanding so a BD release at 48-96/24 could get the most out of those live tapes. Video from the 70's, 80's and some part of the 90's look poor but some concert videos were shot on film and these have the potential to look great on HD BD but I don't see many of them happening.

budwhite likes this.
  12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

All the Substance videos were included on the Item DVD set. New Order - Item (A Collection & New Order Story)

I dunno about The Church, but I'm still waiting for a DVD collection that includes everything from The Cure 'Staring At The Sea' comp.

Gems-A-Bems and Greg Gee like this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There is much interest in seeing all of the acts new and old in their concert videos released and unreleased.

The problem is that YouTube has taken the sales potential away from many titles that we would have seen come out. These concert videos are both legitimate and illegitimate as shown on YouTube.

14. Greg Gee

That's great news about New Order. I had no idea they released their videos. Thanks for posting and for the link. Something else to add to my shopping list.
    Yeah, I've been hoping that with Smith winding things down with The Cure that we will eventually see an all encompassing video release. Many of their videos are very interesting and I especially like the Jumping Somebody Else's Train and Never Enough videos. And I'm sure there are a few I haven't seen before. I really believe their videos are a part of their legacy. Same with New Order; there are some real groundbreaking videos in their collection.
    I would be surprised and thrilled to see the same from The Curch.
    Thanks again!

93curr likes this.
  15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

In the past few years I have moved heaven and earth to find and procure for myself, concert video performances I discovered on YourTubeThere. These include Elbow doing The Seldom Seen Kid album with the BBC Orchestra, the Above & Beyond Acoustic concert, Yello's Virtual concert, Tina Dico's early concert video, and a few Snarky Puppy titles. Found ON Tha'Tube, bought BECAUSE of Tha'Tube.

I know I'm not typical. But, some performances I find rare enough and desirable enough that, were ThatTube to change their business model someday, I don't want to be without access to all the marvelous things I take for granted I could bring up anytime.

16. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

17. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I think Neil has mentioned that Weld is coming out soon. I'd buy it in a minute, that was a great tour.

18. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

the video title is misleading. it was actually NOT shot on the Solo Trans tour but the Shocking Pinks tour later that year, so you don't really get Neil playing to backing tracks (well except for 2-3 songs at the end of the 1st half).

19. Greg Gee

That's even better; I would have loved to have seen the Shocking Pinks tour.

20. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident Thread Starter

After a long time waiting for a reasonable price, I've finally managed to get my hands on a copy of "The Cars: Live 1984-1985". I owned "The Cars: Unlocked" DVD, but found the frequent performance interruptions annoying. None of that on the laserdisc in question, great performance, feels more like watching a whole concert.

I also grabbed a PAL copy of the double disc "The Who: Rocks America": what a feast for ears and eyes :D The kids still rocked like hell, and I must say I've always liked Kenney Jones drumming. I find him a worthy substitute for Moonie. Too bad Roger did not seem to agree...

Finally, I gave in and purchased Eurythmics: Live from 1987. I already owned a sort-of legal DVD release from south America, but the audio left a lot to be desired. Not so the laserdisc :D

I've already had them ripped to DVD by my usual lab :D

Paul_s and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  21. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The first two All-Starr Band shows.

22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

Melissa Manchester 1980 Concert

I think. not sure why I know this

23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

They should be expanded for dvd, if they still have the audio and footage

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I doubt they were on laserdisc, but....
    TWO of my favorite 'concert films' have STILL never seen the light-of-day, DVD-wise:
    "Big Time"(Tom Waits)
    &
    "Home Of The Brave"(Laurie Anderson)!
    I'm pretty sure they were available on VHS once.....maybe.....

25. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

They both were on laserdisc. Big Time had some bonus songs on it, and Home Of The Brave was in widescreen

boggs and vince like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.