Great little NJ store for new vinyl

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by emkay, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pope_ttb_xxx

pope_ttb_xxx New Member

I remember a place like that either at the Livingston Mall or the Short Hills Mall (before it went massively upscale). There was a rack in the very back where I got all the "Marc On Wax" T. Rex/Bolan LPs and Gram Parsons "Sleepless Nights. Straight chain stores were great for imports and weird stuff. :D

Anyone ever go to the Chester Flea Market in the early 80s? There was a guy who had boot vinyl and the first boot cassettes I'd ever seen.

2. Flatso

Flatso Forum Resident

Gosh nobody went to Vogel's in Elizabeth? They had great prices...I got a lot of my favorite records there.

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Yep - I went to Vogel's in Elizabeth many times. Great place to get cut-outs and bargains.

4. timw

timw Senior Member

I'm really enjoying this local NJ thread! I grew up in North Jersey and certainly remember all the places being mentioned here:

Korvettes in Paramus. New release vinyl used to be $2.99 & $3.99 back in the day!!!

Sound Exchange: That place gets crowded with 3 people in the store! Tough place to browse. Obviously they have never put any money into expanding the store. It hasn't changed in years!

Harmony Hut/Sam Goody: Expensive but always a good place to browse.

Disco Mat: (Don't remember if anyone mentioned this small chain.) Good prices-I spent many a paychk at this place!

I do make the 60mile trip to Vintage Vinyl in Fords every once in a while. Great place to just hang out and browse. BTW, Their vinyl section has grown a bit.
    I saw the latest David Gilmourt, Cream reunion and lots more recently released vinyl there!

Tim

5. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

I second the record exchange. I can trace about 70% of my music purchases to that store!

And it is around the corner from the place that I consider to have the third best Buffalo Wings in the world (trailing the Anchor Bar in Buffalo and Platz's in lehighton, PA).

6. racerx20

racerx20 Forum Resident

I went to the Princeton Record Exchange once about 10 years ago, I was at a seminar at the Novotel on Rt. 1. At lunch break I drove into town, immediately found the street by luck and parked right in front, put some money in the meter and went in. I emerged about an hour and later with a handful of $1 records that I found searching the boxes under the bins and there was a parking ticket on my car that ended up costing me 25 bucks. I never got to eat lunch and got back late to the seminar. The things I go through for some lousy records.

In comparison however it was still cheaper by far then Sound Exchange even with the parking ticket. I bought a few records there once that should have been $1 records for $10 a piece. Their bootleg prices were obscene as well. They should have been busted for overcharging.

7. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

That downstairs area is where they have book signings now. They do manage to get some pretty big names to come and sign.

http://book-ends.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp

8. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I have. It's not what it used to be. The back room used to be open but now it's all in the main room and front room. There are dealers who I used to see there all the time and haven't seen in a while. It's been poorly attended. I've missed it months at a time and gone back and it was still quiet. Too bad. It used to be a great show.

And it looks like the 'All Vinyl' show at Raritan Center twice a year is dead now too. I think it was a rent issue. I'm not sure if it's ever coming back.

Right now it looks like the Springfield show is the only one in North Jersey of any size.

http://izzymusic.com/record_shows.htm

9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

"Second Saturday" used to be a can't miss appointment for me (especially for imports and, ahem, "imports"), but some people got busted, attendance shrank, and it's a shadow of what it once was. I'm lucky if I go once a year now, and it's mostly out of a sense of duty. (And Second Saturday stunk compared to the Ramada Inn monthly record conventions I had attended previously...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.