Great Live Performers Who Have No Outstanding Live Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Umbari, Oct 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghostdwg

ghostdwg Senior Member

Patti Smith-the live stuff on the Land compilation & the Horses Legacy edition are fine but she has never put out an official comprehensive live album. There have been a number of professionally recorded shows done over the years going back to the 70s-at one point there was some talk about a 79 European show being released but that never materialized.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I love Alice, but yea, The Alice Cooper Show was a disappointing live album

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Yea. It's an excellent live album, but yea, it's too short.

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  4. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

OK, he assembled a live album/box set from his 2002 tour. I don't think a lot of people have heard it. Is it outstanding?

Anyway, it is curious that Prince didn't put out a live album from his heyday. (I'm not counting material in posthumous Super Deluxe box set reissues of his classic albums.)

5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

A long time ago Lenny Kaye was supposed to put together a double live album that went back to the 3 piece band and worked it's way thru the years. Too bad it never came to be, Smith and company deserve a good live collection.
    I'll add Television.
    To me, Live at The Old Waldorf always came off a bit lackluster and while The Blow Up is a great showcase for the band at the height of their powers circa 1978 (even though the definitive "Marquee Moon" is still only available on boot), there is so much material that never made it to any official album, live or studio, that it's always seemed like a huge chunk of what they were about is missing. Boots are out there, but a legit, comprehensive live set needs to be done.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  6. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

Wilco for me is the same as Radiohead from my post on the 1st page of this thread : There is no need for any live releases, as there are *wayyyy* too much bootlegs available. So much bootlegs in fact that you have too much choice, there are at least a hundred soundboard bootleg from all eras of Wilco, and since they accept tapers at shows, I would say that 95% of all concerts post-2000 were recorded.

Kicking Television is still a great representation of the current lineup when it was growing strong in their early days (they have so much fun playing as that newly formed lineup) and Ashes of American Flags DVD had the concert available on MP3 for free.

Two of Diamonds and frightwigwam like this.
  7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

How many times did you see them? Which shows?

8. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I'd buy a Joan Jett live CD yesterday if I could.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hey, I simply responded to your claim that Prince wasn't interested in putting out live material when he was alive. Your comment didn't claim "well sure, he was interested in putting out live material, but not anything outstanding!" :laugh:

It's not curious to me because in the 80s, live videotapes - and then DVDs - became the standard for live releases vs. just live LPs/CDs.

The live album took a massive hit when artists realized they could sell videotapes of the concerts.

If you look at live albums released in Prince's lifetime, yeah - it's just "One Nite Alone".

But Prince released:

-1985 live show VHS/LD
    -1987 "Sign o the Times" movie (yeah, shot largely in a studio but representative of the live show)
    -1988 TV broadcast also issued on LD (and maybe VHS?) outside of US
    -Live 2000 DVD
    -Live 2002 DVD

Might be something else I've forgotten, too. I kinda bailed on my intense Prince fandom around 2005.

If the OP says the thread can only address LPs/CDs, fair enough, but I think that limits the topic massively, as plenty of artists have live releases that simply don't offer audio-only versions.

Seems weird to pretend these don't exist and say "there's no live Prince!" when there's lots of live Prince...

Umbari and DeeThomaz like this.
  10. otis escalator

otis escalator Forum Resident

stef1205 and Theacademyinperil like this.
  11. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Godspeed You Black Emperor is incredible live but hasn't released any live albums. If they did it'd almost certainly have to be video because the film projections are such a huge part of the show.

That said, they do allow fans to audio record their shows so there are a lot of recordings on Live Music Archive (by permission of the band/management).

jmpatrick and mynameischet like this.
  12. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

D'Angelo hasn't released any live albums, and his last two bands have been absolutely killer on stage. There's a great bootleg floating around of a set from the Voodoo tour, which featured Questlove and Pino Palladino in the band, but no official releases sadly.

acemachine26 likes this.
  13. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

Crowded House/Neil Finn
    Del Amitri

14. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

15. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Also the Stooges reunion gigs were crazy good and deserve a release !
    I was lucky enough to end up with a USB stick of a show but that's not an album !

16. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I don't feel like Tom Waits has made a live album that really delivers the goods.

17. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

They have about 5 or 6 live albums from the prime years. Check out the Paranoid, Sabatage, Technical Ectasy, and Vol 4 box sets.

mark winstanley and Cranny like this.
  18. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Alice Cooper has a few live album releases for Record Store Day.

Though I'd say the live at Astroturf album is outstanding and their best one.

Ludger likes this.
  19. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

20. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

The Brussels and Montreux gigs on the Paranoid box are good quality but both very early career recordings, the shows on the other boxes are fun to listen too, but they are bootleg quality, and are actually cleaned up bootleg recordings. The closest to a good quality glory days live album is "Live at Last" but although i love it, its also a very rough recording. (Ozzy period) Sabbath have no equivalent to releases like "Live and Dangerous", "Strangers in the Night", "Tokyo Tapes"or "Unleashed in the East", all excellent live albums of their 70s peers.

wrat and rikki nadir like this.
  21. tomd

tomd Senior Member

The New York Dolls (original lineup)

phillyal1 and ralphb like this.
  22. Queen has several great concert DVDs but no outstanding live audio only albums unless there is something recent I don't know about. Live Killers is a Frankenstein patchwork.

23. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I think the Guns N Roses live album is mediocre.

Same with the few Aerosmith live albums.

There are so many great live bootlegs by both bands that blow away the official releases.

24. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident

Well...zero since I was born in January '70. But through the miracle of recorded tape, I have listened to plenty of live Beatles from the touring years...enough to develop my opinion. Their destiny was the recording studio, where they revolutionized popular music.

25. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Mark Lanegan.
    Fantastic voice live as well as on record. There’s no live album that captures him with a full band.

Two of Diamonds likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.