Great Musicians Who Were Also Radio Disc Jockeys

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tribute, Jun 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member Thread Starter

Having been a radio DJ for over 45 years now, I have always been intrigued that some great musicians and singers, from many different musical styles and time periods, had also been radio disc jockeys. I am not talking about the days when every popular musician had a 15-30 minute live-on-the-air program, or hosted a variety program, but actually spun records by other musicians. I'll count an example where a big star hosted a pre-recorded program where he (or she) played records (there are some very well known examples).

I invite readers to post some examples. It would be very cool if you had some facts (what year(s)? what station? type of show? length of show? on-air name?) and best of all, if there is a photo of the musician at the radio station. I'd count it, even if they just did one show, except maybe the long running British radio show called Desert Island Discs, where famous artists were asked to come in and spin their favorite records (that deserves a thread of its own).

Some musicians did a radio gig at the very beginning of their career, before they were known, some did it in the midst of their career (for a bread-and-butter day job or steady income), and some after their touring and recording career had waned.

Hardly anyone does it anymore, as radio has become corporate, and 98% of the radio gigs do not pay enough money for the gas to drive to the station. Satellite radio star gigs may still exist though.

I'll start this by posting one of the greatest examples:

B.B. King

This photo is not of him at the DJ controls (prefer those) but maybe someone else has one. Add more facts if you can.

[​IMG]

2. Tribute

Another: but still not at the radio controls. He did that too.

[​IMG]

mschrist likes this.
  3. Tribute

Julius LaRosa (aka Julie LaRosa)

One of the best jazz-pop singers to emerge in the early 50's (in the Sinatra style) who died this year (look up his obits in the NYTimes and elsewhere), was a long time DJ on one of the biggest NYC stations (WNEW). He did this as a steady paying job in the years when jazz-pop singers were not as strong a career.

Maybe somebody has a photo of Julie at the controls. Here is aphoto and Julie is on the far right.

[​IMG]

mschrist and stereoptic like this.
  4. SGR

SGR Forum Resident

Johnny Otis

5. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

In Canada we have Kim Mitchell.

ModernDayWarrior, Sean, Dave and 2 others like this.
  6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

What about becoming a radio DJ after being a musician?

Michael Stanley became a DJ in Cleveland many years after his musical career with The Michael Stanley Band.

7. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Sly Stone
    [​IMG]

PHILLYQ, Tommyboy, Fullbug and 3 others like this.
  8. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Bob Dylan - Theme Time Radio Hour, 2006-2009, XM radio.

"It's night time in the big city..."

alchemy, timmikid, Sean and 3 others like this.
  9. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

Lee Hazlewood, great producer, songwriter, and singer, got his start in radio:

[​IMG]

Here's the early part of a bio off the web about his radio career:

Lee Hazlewood was born in 1929 in Oklahoma, spending his early years there and in Texas and Arkansas. He was called to serve in Korea and after his discharge, he pursued his early interest in radio, attending broadcasting school on the GI Bill in the mid-1950s. He landed his first radio job at tiny and remote KCKY in Coolidge, Arizona. He had no way of knowing it at the time, but while there he would launch a successful songwriting, producing and music career that lasted through the 1960s, 1970s and beyond. Although not a household name, Lee Hazlewood is best remembered for his role in the career of Nancy Sinatra.

While at KCKY Lee began writing music and some of his first songs were recorded by a couple of young Coolidge boys, Duane Eddy and Jimmy Dell, who formed the duo Duane & Jimmy. He later moved to KRUX in Phoenix, where he was the first DJ in town to play Elvis Presley. His biggest early success was writing and producing "The Fool," taken by newcomer Sanford Clark into the Top Ten in 1956. It was the first recording to come out of Phoenix and its success helped to expose the tiny Ramsey recording studio and local musicians to a national audience. It was at the Ramsey studio that he along with Al Casey, Duane Eddy and engineer Jack Miller created the "twang heard round the world" on "Rebel Rouser" and Duane Eddy's other early songs.

10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Little Steven's Underground Garage XM channel has a lot of DJs who are in bands.

Handsome Dick Manitoba (Dictators/NYC), The Mighty Manfred (The Woggles), Ko Molina (The Dirtbombs), Peter Zaremba (The Fleshtones), and Palmyra Delrran (The Friggs)...........and Little Steven.

troggy, stereoptic, Fullbug and 3 others like this.
  11. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

peter wolf of j geils band fame

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Tennessee Ernie Ford was a disc jockey in Bristol, Tennessee before he became a singer. Likewise, Bill Anderson used to be a DJ, as did Tom T. Hall.

13. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Rick Dees. :D

Say It Right likes this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Worth mentioning in the same breath as Steve Dahl

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Rufus Thomas, obviously!

Tommyboy, troggy and Tribute like this.
  16. Tribute

Yes, like I said, some found steady work in radio after their career on stage slowed down.

17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Having just read his autobiography, Willie Nelson was a DJ in Texas and Oregon...and California? Maybe not that last.

garymc and NaturalD like this.
  18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Peter Wolf (of the J.Geils Band) was a regular part-time DJ at WBCN.

VictoryHighway and Vinyl Addict like this.
  19. Tribute

Rufus!

Can anyone post some photos of musicians at the radio stations? On air or off air....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tommyboy, Sean and DTK like this.
  20. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

Howlin' Wolf

redsock likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

In 1995 and 1996 Todd Rundgren hosted a weekly two hour radio show called The Difference on WXPN in Philadelphia.

When he no longer had the time to do it, Marshall Crenshaw guested for a couple of weeks.

22. Tribute

I always assume that the poster looks like his avatar. I can't help that. When I recognize the avatar photo, I sometimes wonder if the name on the post is just a pseudonym for the poster, who is actually the avatar. In this case, I have concluded that the mysterious Leon Redbone, who has managed to stay incognito for nearly 50 years, is actually a guy named Chris DeVoe, from God knows where.

23. Tribute

He may have been bounced out a few times by Station Managers....?

24. Tribute

Archie Fisher one of the greatest Scottish folk singers ever, hosted a BBC radio show on folk music for many years

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Ernie K-Doe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.