Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (Soundtrack) Vinyl (& CD) Pre-Order Acoustic Sounds *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DotKom11, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DotKom11

DotKom11 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Well, it's legit in that it's from Concord who owns the rights to Guaraldi, Craft is their reissue division.
    Doesn't say it's from the master tape, could be from a safety, back up, or copy.

3. DotKom11

Sorry, I should have been more clear. When I said the master tapes were lost I should have also said no backup or copy has ever been located either AFAIK. Besides one song, "Great Pumpkin Waltz," I don't believe anything from this soundtrack has ever been released in any form.

4. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

looks like they found something! Usually with Craft, more details come out before the release date.
    You could also email them for more info, see what happens.

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Strangely enough, the Great Pumpkin version of "Linus and Lucy" was recently released on the A Boy Named Charlie Brown soundtrack album (it's part of track 18). It's only a minute long, and how it got there is anyone's guess, but it's there, in mono.

But yes, no master tapes of this stuff are known to exist. For what it's worth, the album cover shown for this new release is the 70s-era soundtrack album that had the audio track from the show itself (music and dialogue). It does seem likely that if a tape of just the musical cues minus dialogue had been found, it would be given a a digital release also.

6. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Oh please let this be real, please please!!

MaestroDavros likes this.
  7. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

For what it's worth, this apparently is getting a CD release too.

9. Pants Party

I can imagine if this stuff was found we might have heard a bit more buzz by now, but then again, as others have mentioned a few tracks have turned up over the past, with relatively little fanfare. Puzzling this is. Of course, although short, a decent release of the on-screen music would be fine too.

I'm assuming there never was an official soundtrack to begin with. It's just surprising given the success of the Christmas Special's soundtrack and Guaraldi's obvious talents and public appeal that a soundtrack wasn't planned. Anyone know the scoop here?

10. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

It is worth considering the recordings from A Charlie Brown Christmas for possible insights into this upcoming release. Many of the tracks heard on the album were either alternate takes or possibly from a completely different session than those used in the TV show. (The jazz waltz version of "O Christmas Tree," for example, has yet to be released.) When a new track was finally released, "Surfin' Snoopy," it was mono, and clearly from a less-than-ideal source.

Considering that there was never a Great Pumpkin LP, I would guess that these tracks may come from mono mixes made for the show, and possibly even mono stems. But I would love to be proven wrong.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I think that's the most likely scenario: that it might be an album of mono cues in the same edits as they appear in the special, but simply without the dialogue and sound effects. In other words, a production part that was discovered. I'd be shocked if they actually found master tapes.
    That thought crossed my mind, as it's that album cover that's shown on the Acoustic Sounds listing. It seems pretty unlikely though... I doubt there is much demand for this album, and it's not hard to find original pressings. And if you read the mission statement of Concord Craft here, it doesn't sound like a reissue of a mono storybook soundtrack album would really fit with what they typically do.

MaestroDavros and Pants Party like this.
  13. DotKom11

[​IMG]

I can't believe this is actually happening! I've wanted this soundtrack for years! Anyone else excited about this release?

14. Pants Party

I Believe.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  15. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

PLEASE let this be the real deal (original soundtrack)! Such a good soundtrack, and it would be incredible if they've found even backup copies. It's one of the, if not the Vince Guaraldi holy grail!

Also I've always associated woodwinds with fall/autumn thanks to this soundtrack.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

This seems like a pretty perfunctory way to reveal the discovery of tapes that Charlie Brown/Vince Guaraldi fans have been clamoring for for years. I'm pretty skeptical myself, but I would do anything to hear more of that haunting, jazzy autumn flute from that soundtrack.

:)

17. MaestroDavros

That's how it is in the movie (the scene where Linus is reunited with his blanket). I remember the first time time I watched it and instantly recognized it, as well as thinking how it was so out of place compared to the sound of the rest of the score. Yet somehow it also works very well within the context of the scene.

MikeInFla likes this.
  18. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Double like plus one.

Hep Alien and Pants Party like this.
  19. MaestroDavros

It's explained a little in Derrick Bang's liners for the recent "The Complete Warner Bros.-Seven Arts Recordings" release, and I guess in more detail in his Guaraldi biography, but at the time of "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" Vince was embroiled in a lawsuit against Fantasy Records, specifically to break his convoluted contracts with them. His main grievance was that he was only receiving 5%(!) for recording, performance, production and songwriting royalties (each I think).

He was successful in breaking off the contracts at the end of 1967, but outside of 1 album for his own D&D label, as well as the 3 albums he did under contract for Warner-Seven (none of which did terribly well, the best was when "Oh Good Grief" hit No. 20 in Billboard's Best Selling Jazz LP's chart for a week, and all 4 from both labels received little to no promotion) for the rest of his life he largely focused his efforts on working on the Peanuts specials and live performances.

Hep Alien and Pants Party like this.
  20. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

Will it include the alternative tracks and mixes to correspond to the alternative ending?

GLUDFSSR, nosliw and JasonA like this.
  21. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I’m a little confused about what people are hoping this is versus what people think this probably is. Any help or clarification?

22. MaestroDavros

Hope: original soundtrack has been rediscovered after 52 years, either from a backup tape or an edited production stem (probably the latter). Plus this could open the doors to other soundtracks existing in some isolated form as well. Much of Vince Guaraldi's Peanuts soundtrack work is thought to be lost, especially the 60's specials (the 70's fare a little better).

Probably: don't really know. The cover seen on the Acoustic Sounds site is of the 1970's narrated LP, a kind of thing that was popular in the days before home video. Could be a placeholder, or maybe it's a combo of that LP and the music. Worst case scenario is that it's just the LP, but somehow doubt that.

Hep Alien and Paully like this.
  23. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Hopefully it's the real deal: if Acoustic Sounds is using that '70s art as a placeholder, then it's confusing!

24. DotKom11

Release date on Acoustic Sounds changed from October 5th to "to be announced." Booooooooo!

25. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

I think ecstatic better describes how I feel about this release. This is the ultimate soundtrack to the Autumn season that has played in my mind for years. I just hope it follows through and the link to the CD version was not a mistake for a vinyl only release. I cannot wait!

Hep Alien and MaestroDavros like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.