Great Toy! Who'll be first here?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by proufo, May 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proufo

proufo Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Bummer...NY Times sites wants me to register...but is this about an HDTV 16:9 camcorder? Very interesting! I could take wider versions of my sloppy home movies. :D Bring it on! :laugh: Might be just the excuse I need to get me one of those. :)

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yeah, NY Times toll booth.

But I get the idea. I betcha it's not going to be close to what most good digital cameras cost.... Yeouch!

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

It's most likely the JVC which will go for around $4000 I believe. It records on miniDV sized tapes, perhaps a special formulation, I don't know. I'd love to get one, but I'll wait until they're $500.

See:

http://www.e-insite.net/esec/Article_274974.htm

5. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Sckott, I've known about this camera for a while now. The price will be about $4,000, which is much cheaper than a regular HD camera. The great thing about this camera is that it uses Mini-DV tapes (about $10 each) as opposed to HD tapes (about $100 each.) I'd wait though, because you can be sure that Sony, etc. will adopt the technology and release cameras of this type of their own.

6. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Pinknik, looks like we were typing nearly the same thing at the same time. The Mini-DV tapes the JVC uses will be same ones currently available.

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'm wondering if they're soon gonna start making buffer technology for DVD-R direct-writing. Sounds like a dream, but consumers are going to grab for their wallets QUICK once that becomes norm.

I'm wondering if DV-Tapes might soon get dumped too. They seem to be as sensitive as DAT

8. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

That's just a tad out of my price range. I'm saving to buy a home so toys like that are strictly off-limits for me!

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Do all of the current digital camcorders use those? That scares me--I know how unstable DAT can be. I'd like a smaller digital camcorder, but I just wonder if I'd gain anything worthwhile. (Currently have a Sony Hi8 CCD-V701 from 1991...and rarely use it anyway.)

10. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

Sony makes a series of camcorders that use Hi8 tapes and record in the digital8 format. There's not much difference between digital8 and mini-DV. About 500 lines of resolution for both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.