Great Yellow Sub Movie Restoration Article

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by beatlematt, Oct 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Odd way of retracking mono to stereo, don't you think?!?

3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Juat another (and quite ridiculous) way of making a fake stereo master from a mono master :sigh:.

Why do they let these madmen loose on the most important audio recordings in history :shake:.

4. whitenoise

whitenoise New Member

Well, now we know what Magic Alex is up to. Surprised they still trust him.

5. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

The "Silverline" effect!

6. maccascruff

maccascruff New Member

I'm just glad I got it when it first came out. I think it is OOP, isn't it? Now, if only we could get Let It Be released. That is what I've been waiting for--for how many years now?

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I'm just hoping that they remixed the music from Let It Be into wide, 5.1 DD sound. Thats all 16 and 24 track stuff, theres no excuse for not remixing it into surround.

They really did a nice job on the Yellow Submarine Remixes, so I'm hopefull the same team (Peter Cobbin) was used for LIB.

8. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

Ummm, I think the Get Back/Let it Be sessions was recorded on an 8-track machine, but the Beatles only used seven tracks for most of the recordings as a track had to be left open for the sync track for filming. Maybe the 7-tracks only applied to the Rooftop concert, but according to The Beatles Recording Sessions, the Beatles were 8-track from about part of the "White Album" to Abbey Road, including Get Back/Let it Be.

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Mikey, you really shouldn't believe everything Magic Alex says :D.

10. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Ok, so its 8 track.....SORRY. Whats the difference?? 8 track is PERFECT for 5.1 surround. More than good enough.

11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Just busting your b@lls :D

I just hope that an original mono and a decent stereo soundtrack is included. For those of us without 5.1 (just not my bag :sigh: ) it is infuriating to be forced to listen to a downmix that would pale next to a decent dedicated mix.

What was the soundtrack like on the official VHS & laserdisc editions - mono or stereo?

:)

12. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

For Let it Be? Mono. Yellow Submarine was stereo in the initial version I saw about 1987(?), but I can't recall if it was a fake stereo mix or had the songs only in stereo.

13. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Sorry, yeah I meant Let It Be! How did the mono sound - did you have the VHS or laserdisc?

As for the Yellow Submarine soundtrack - it was very disappointing to discover that the "original" mono soundtrack on the DVD actually was in stereo for a couple of chapters :shake:.

Was that error on all pressings?

14. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

I only saw Let it Be once at a video rental store near my sister's house in Chicago about 1990-1991. Rented it, and the sound was OK. Clean mono. I've never seen the LD except for dubs from it at record shows. About the same quality.

[/QUOTE]As for the Yellow Submarine soundtrack - it was very disappointing to discover that the "original" mono soundtrack on the DVD actually was in stereo for a couple of chapters :shake:.Was that error on all pressings?[/QUOTE]
    Interesting, as I did not notice this. I'll guess I'll have to re-listen to the mono soundtrack to find this out. :confused:

15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

It becomes stereo right after "All Together Now" (just before chapter 12 begins) and remains so until they find Jeremy (or is that "Boob" :D ) in chapter 16 :sigh:

Such a shame as it would have been a real treat to be given the complete original mono soundtrack :shake:.

Let me know if yours is the same....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.