Greatest bands of all time: Who do YOU feel doesn’t get the nod often?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RedRoseSpeedway, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

I've seen Iggy or the Velvets mentioned so I guess big names can be listed.

Joy Division/New Order - plenty of celebration but still ignored by one generation or two or three. As in "post-70's is terra incognita" or "post-70's is worthless"

Steely Dan
    - the Alpha and Omega of American Pop. There should be 2 SD threads for every Beatles thread.

Doors
    - steady Jimbo-dissing has been threatening the proper celebration of the band's legacy for decades

U2
    - see Doors, add a pinch of Joy Division/New Order effect, and more.

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Little Feat

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  3. Mr Sam

and I'll add Springsteen as long as Born To Run isn't spoken in the same breath as the other usual "Odyssey And Pet Revolver Of The Moon" suspects as a landmark album.

Through the ages: little cultural impact in his glorious youth, then fair amount of Rock Rambo/Populist Rock contempt. Fast forward 2019: many people accept him as a respected, awarded Elder One near to achieving EGOT status, but still feel they have no clue why / how.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  4. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

The Shaggs :)

LeftCoastGator likes this.
  5. Hedley Lamarr

Hedley Lamarr Forum Resident

People overthink including that band/those bands in “greatest categories, but the fact is, combined, both those projects were infinitely more influential than anything that took place during that time. Without JD you get no punk rock as we knew it. Without NO, pop music/modern alternative rock would have never been the same.

I absolutely vote for this

Pancat, Zoot Marimba and Mr Sam like this.
  6. Mr Sam

I'm contacting forum admins right now: thread generator can be set quite easily. In Beatles thread titles, replace name of the band, then for instance "john" or "ringo" with "donald", "paul' or "george" with "walter" etc...
    1962-1970 timeframe will be 1972-1980 etc...

michanes and Hedley Lamarr like this.
  7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Ah another underrated thread. I'm not exactly sure what the OP means in this case. I can think of plenty of bands that I rank very highly personally, such as Can and King Crimson, but still I recognize that these guys were never likely to appeal to a broad audience. They're more of a cult phenomenon, great for what they are but not necessarily universal and in fact part of the reason that I enjoy them so much was precisely because they were so different. Though I'm not a huge fan, I regard a band like Talk Talk the same way. While I can respect the OP's passion on their behalf, is it reasonable to expect the world to embrace your idiosyncratic favorites? When we talk about the "greatest bands of all time", generally we're reaching for a more objective measurement of impact. So there are a lot of bands that I personally wish received more broad acclaim, but I can usually understand why they didn't break out. Just my two cents.

8. Hedley Lamarr

Hedley Lamarr Forum Resident

I am on board. I think it would be far more interesting to talk about the philosophical differences between the saxophone & guitar versions of “FM“ than it would be to negotiate another Paul McCartney thread :p

9. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Louis Armstrong's Hot Fives and Hot Sevens (I think one combo actually had six, but who's counting?) were certainly the greatest American band ever. This is acknowledged by historians and jazz aficionados, but completely unknown to the mainstream herd.

10. DeeUK70

DeeUK70 Forum Resident

Fantastic album Psychocandy …. Automatic was a class too though :wiggle:

JulesDassin likes this.
  11. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

NRBQ and Rockpile

12. Murman

Murman Forum Resident

I hope you meant to say "no post-punk rock as we knew it". Joy Division had nothing to do with the creation of "punk" rock.

Pancat, Mumdad, Zoot Marimba and 2 others like this.
  13. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Steely Dan were fantastic. But that's quite the double shot of hyperbole there.

Vic_1957 likes this.
  14. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I agree.

15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I enjoy them quite a bit as well but don't consider them to be underrated. If anything, I'm surprised that a band that quirky and oblique became as successful as they did. Only in the 70s. . .

pwhytey and Exit Flagger like this.
  16. Sunburst Finish

Sunburst Finish Forum Resident

Adding Status Quo and UFO to earlier choices...

17. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

The Animals
    Rockpile
    The Blasters
    Creedence Clearwater Revival

I personally think that CCR is THE great American rock and roll band.

eatthecheese and Herman Schultz like this.
  18. LeftCoastGator

LeftCoastGator Forum Resident

Oh yeah—how about Badfinger? Were it not for Spinal Tap-level bad luck with labels, I think that band could have continued to evolve and grow from what was already a pretty stellar career up to that point.

I'd also throw in Nick Lowe. Because he's awesome.

19. LeftCoastGator

LeftCoastGator Forum Resident

Hmm. OK.
    Joy Division/New Order: Were quite influential in fusing electronica with melancholy (as opposed to the cold detachment of Kraftwerk or Eno), but I'm not sure I'd consider either band "great."

Steely Dan: No argument from me!

Doors: I think they've reached the level they need to be at at this point, swinging to from ludicrous overpraise in the '60s. '70s, and '80s (I'm lookin' at you, Oliver Stone), to derision in the '90s and 2000s, to being viewed as an influential-but-uneven band with an iconic frontman today.

U2: :hurl:

20. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

Zappa for me (if I can have a person rather than a band)

21. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Nice. :) I'll watch just about anything with SRV in it. Since you mentioned SRV, I'll throw out a name that almost never gets mentioned, yet he has played with some of the greats... and he's not too shabby himself.

Bugs Henderson. Outside of a few other Texans I've spoken to in the past, he just doesn't get the respect he is due. The man was a treat to listen to and watch.

I'm also throwing out the band name, Dave Clark Five. They were a hot item in the day, but we just don't hear much about them any more. Personally, I think Dave Clark waited too long to re-release any of this music. You know the old saying, "out of sight, out of mind." :shrug:

22. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

The Beach Boys. Though Brian Wilson rightly gets a nod as a genius who created some of the most endearing music of the 60's (or any time), the Boys themselves sometimes get the short end. Before Brian started using session musicians, they were a very fine band in the own right. After all, that is them, not session musicians, playing on "Don't Worry Baby". It doesn't get much better than that.

23. Cameron.39

Cameron.39 Forum Resident

The issue was that they were so big in Europe and Australasia that they didn't actually need the American market. The Beatles deciding to stop touring in 1966 left the door wide open for the Hollies in Scandinavia, where touring was everything. They quickly became Sweden, Denmark and Norway's sweethearts and toured consistently there for over 20 years, sometimes twice a year, selling out huge outdoor theatres in the summer months. Germany too was perhaps the Hollies' main market outside of the UK, particularly later on as the hits dried up in the UK but kept coming in Germany and Holland. The same thing happened in Australia/New Zealand, with their first tour there in 1970 selling out so fast that they had to add many extra dates. Their only live album 'Hollies Live Hits' was recorded in Christchurch, NZ, culled from SIX sold out shows at the same venue!

I agree they never did a 'proper' tour of America and rarely played anywhere 'cool', with the exception of the Whisky-A-Go-Go in 1968, which was an unplanned concert for the East Coast's rock elite, and was where David Crosby and Stephen Stills decided that they needed to approach Graham Nash to join their new group. When Graham Nash re-joined the Hollies briefly in 1983, many of their concerts had to be re-booked into smaller venues because the public demand just wasn't there.

24. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

25. Gagnedouze

Gagnedouze Forum Resident

Only a couple of votes for Allman Brothers Band and I'll throw in my hat in too.

I've only been listening to them for about 18 months and no band, other than Eagles, have captured my attention like AAB in such a short space of time. They are pretty much my go-to band at the moment. Such a tight and professional band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.