Greatest bands of all time: Who do YOU feel doesn’t get the nod often?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RedRoseSpeedway, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murman

Murman Forum Resident

Fair enough.

2. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

3. LeftCoastGator

LeftCoastGator Forum Resident

Uh… we'll have to agree to disagree.

The two albums you mentioned have a ton of covers and most of the originals have a heavy Stones influence, which was then later replaced with a heavy Beatles influence. I think they did what they did better than anyone else, but they weren't the most original band in the world.

I live in the Bay Area so I've seen them—and Ron Loney—live a number of times, and they joke about it all the time, so I'm not really saying anything controversial here.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  4. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

The Auteurs

5. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Ditto on BOC.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  6. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

Yea i guess i would tend to agree, its true that they weren't ever all that original, but they sure rocked!

I would also say though that early on they were as influenced by early American rock and roll--Somethin Else, Rockin Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu etc--as they were by the Stones.

7. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

Sonic's Rendezvous Band

Probably the greatest band ever to not record an album. But their live recordings are incredibly ample proof of how awesome they were. The 6 CD Easy Action box set is pure rock and roll nirvana.

Terry Shute likes this.
  8. Cameron.39

Cameron.39 Forum Resident

History has a habit of remembering 'second to the Beatles' as being either the Rolling Stones, the Who, the Kinks or the Small Faces, when actually at the time in the UK in terms of record sales, it was THE HOLLIES.

They've had such a huge varied selection of hits as for over 15 years that they often get forgotten as being by the same group. Name another group that's had hits as varied as the beat-boom sounding 'Just One Look', 'Here I Go Again', 'I'm Alive', 'Look Through Any Window' to the pop sounding 'Bus Stop', 'Carrie Anne', 'On A Carousel', 'Sorry Suzanne', 'Jennifer Eccles', to the hugely mature ballads like 'He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother', 'The Air That I Breathe', 'I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top' to outright rockers like 'Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)' and 'Hey Willy'... they've done it all and their albums are nothing to be sniffed at either. Yet still they fail to make an impact on the music press and general public, despite being generally acknowledged in the industry as the "band's band" due to their unbelievably tight live sound.

9. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

Other than the Mothers of Invention maybe the Kinks or Little Feat or the Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

10. LeftCoastGator

LeftCoastGator Forum Resident

Do you live in my head? I actually have a Sonic's Rendezvous Band t-shirt on as we speak.

troggy and Hiraeth like this.
  11. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I think of them like I do The Moody Blues. I like them, but they don't really really do it for me.

holyroller likes this.
  12. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

Ha! Amazing! I saw them a few times in 1978 in Toronto--a totally unreal band.

LeftCoastGator likes this.
  13. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

The Jam

Pancat likes this.
  14. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

A couple of years ago I was in search of the ' There's a Riot Goin' On ' CD. I popped into a local record store and asked the young ( cute) clerk if they has any Sly & The Family Stone discs.
    " Is that , like , a group or something ? " , she asked.
    I' m not putting her down ( I said she was cute , right? ). I just thought it was funny.

15. Wildest cat from montana

Nose?

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  16. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover Thread Starter

Yes YES! Totally second The Hollies

17. Wildest cat from montana

Crazy Horse.....for their most excellent self-titled debut album. As good a record as you could find. Danny Whitten could have been a giant if the drugs hadn't put an end to him.

eatthecheese and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Van der Graaf Generator

bhazen likes this.
  19. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

King Crimson
    Cheap Trick

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  20. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Stealer's Wheel

A Beatles-influenced Celtic folk-rock band, driven by two great -- and very complementary -- songwriters (Gerry Rafferty was the other one ;)). I love all three of their albums, with Ferguslie Park being truly exquisite.

Annoys me no end when they're treated like one-shot wonders. Tarantino did them no favours either, apart from a few bob for placement in that awful film.

The Pretty Things, already mentioned upthread, are criminally underrated. And, it must be said, had several great albums ... not just S.F. Sorrow and Parachute.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  21. Tom Kitch

Tom Kitch Forum Resident

If we are determining greatness in terms of stylistic evolution, critical acclaim, and influence on subsequent artists, I think that Wire qualifies.

Mumdad, michanes, Hiraeth and 3 others like this.
  22. tomd

tomd Senior Member

The Faces

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  23. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Focus...with Jan Ackerman...

Dingly Del Boy and bhazen like this.
  24. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'd add Focus today, as well. Their last four studio albums have been wonderful. Thijs van Leer's compositional ability remains undiminished.

grapenut likes this.
  25. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Great pick! And it was Phil’s 70th not long ago (RIP)

bhazen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.