Greatest Hit's Albums That Are Missing Significant Hits

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Nov 13, 2018.

1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

For me a big exclusion is a song I like and also a hit. The former is the more important especially as Rio contained the inferior slow version.

There must be US fans who like My Own Way who would have been disappointed at its non inclusion?

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm basing "size of exclusion" solely on chart success. Whether or not I like it is irrelevant.

I don't think "MOW" even got released as a single in the US, so it would've been odd to put on a hits collection here...

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I thought Dirty Work should have been on it as well even though it wasn't released as a single in the U.S. They played it all the time on the radio where I live.

4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes that was a really weird move to leave off charting hits

Galaga King likes this.
  5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Bob Seger doesn't seem to rate Even Now. It was a reasonably big US hit (#12 in 1983) but it's not on GH, GH2 or Ultimate Hits.

Shame really because it is a very decent little rocker indeed.

ARK, GubGub, Galaga King and 2 others like this.
  6. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Mama Told Me Not To Come seems to have been omitted from the original greatest hits comp for 3 Dog Night, at least it's omitted on the 8 track copy. Not sure about the vinyl, it's been a long while since I've given my copy a spin.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Somebody was frame-challenged and mad at Randy Newman over " Short People "?:laugh:;):cool::D

hort, post: 20577271, member: 92900"]Mama Told Me Not To Come seems to have been omitted from the original greatest hits comp for 3 Dog Night, at least it's omitted on the 8 track copy. Not sure about the vinyl, it's been a long while since I've given my copy a spin.[/QUOTE]

8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

To me (as great as it is) Dirty Work just doesn’t fit without Fagen’s voice.

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

No, it's there on "Golden Bisquits." It has all their hits to that time but lacks "Joy to the World," which was just being released as a single.

JDeanB and WMTC like this.
  10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It was included on some of their later compilations.

ARK, Matthew Tate and Keith V like this.
  11. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

The Best of Bread? :D

Sorry. Couldn’t resist.

I’d love to hear a vintage version of Dirty Work with Fagen singing.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Re British 'Greatest' or 'Best of...' compilations

neither Rolling Stones sixties UK Decca 'Big Hits' compilations 'High Tide and Green Grass' or 'Through The Past Darkly' included 'I Wanna Be Your Man' ! (tho' as stated earlier 'Rolled Gold' 2LP finally included it)

RCA Victor put out a 'Kinks Greatest Celluloid Heroes' compilation in the seventies...but incredibly failed to include 'Supersonic Rocket Ship' the ONE Kinks UK chart hit on RCA !

Polydor compiled a budget priced Hollies compilation 'Best of' in 1980 titled; The Air That I Breathe' ...but absurdly failed to include the UK top thirty hit 'The Day That Curly Billy Shot Down Crazy Sam Magee'

I note a couple of Clifford T. Ward CD compilation 'best of' fail to include 'Scullery' his second UK chart hit !

A Belinda Carlisle CD collection omits 'Runaway Horses'

so UK record companies are just as inept as some USA ones re hits !

carlwm likes this.
  13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I Wanna Be Your Man was originally included on the U.K version of "Big Hits: High Tide And Green Grass" (An acetate version exists.) but it was replaced on the final released track listing with Time Is On My Side. It was also omitted from both Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks.

14. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Any idea why it was dropped from 'High Tide and Green Grass' ? - it was a bigger UK chart hit than 'Come On' while a couple of non hits such as 'TIOMS' plus Heart of Stone and Lady Jane were included

15. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

I had the urge to listen to John Lennon’s “Happy Xmas (War is Over)” on New Year’s Day, so I pulled out my nice vinyl copy of ‘The John Lennon Collection’...and only then discovered that it’s not on there. Looks like I might have to buy ‘Shaved Fish.’

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Isn't 'Happy Xmas' cross faded into 'Give Peace A Chance (Reprise)' on Shaved Fish?

I remember it being this way, but haven't owned a copy in 25 years.

Dugan and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I'm not really sure as both I Wanna Be Your Man and Time Is On My Side are both covers so it wouldn't have generated more songwriting royalties for the Stones.

It's a similar to leaving The Last Time (Which charted much higher.) off of Hot Rocks in favor of the b-side Play With Fire.

18. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

could it be The Stones wern't too keen by then on the Lennon-McCartney song showing The Beatles helped launch them in the UK ? (earlier George's recommend to Dick Rowe very much helped them to get the Decca contract)

Hot Rocks also omitted 'It's All Over Now' and 'Not Fade Away' - tho' maybe as they both were UK hits only ?

Happy Xmas War is Over is on the UK version of 'The John Lennon Collection' and I believe it has since been added to the later issue of the USA version
    - yes ?

when will 'Please Please Me' be added to 1 ???

I recall reading somewhere that a Beach Boys 'Best of' or 'Greatest' left off Good Vibrations !!!!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    FJFP, The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. BarryChicago

BarryChicago A Flower

ELP's 1980 "Best Of" is missing From The Beginning... their highest charting track here in the States.

20. Gov't Mule

Gov't Mule Forum Resident

I recently found a cheap CD of Cheech and Chong's Greatest Hit. It's missing the title track "Up In Smoke" from the movie soundtrack.

Galaga King and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Not Fade Away #48 in the U.S.
    It's All Over Now #26 in the U.S.
    The Last Time #9 in the U.S.
    Play With Fire #96 in the U.S.

Hot Rocks also omitted these.

Dandelion #14 in the U.S.
    Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing In The Shadow #9 in the U.S.

22. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

not a big Seger fan but I do find it interesting his two highest charting singles appeared not on his first Greatest Hits, but the second one released nearly a decade later. Granted "Shakedown" and "Shame On The Moon" don't get nearly the classic airplay that "Night Moves", "Old Time Rock N Roll", "Against The Wind" and others still receive, but there was enough space on that collection to fit those two songs that went to #1 and #2 respectively.

ARK, Rubberpigg, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's really interesting.

I don't really know much about Bob Seger but Shame On The Moon has had a little bit of radio play over here so it might well be one of his less obscure songs in Britain. It's a cover if I remember rightly.

Rubberpigg and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Scullery not on a Clifford T Ward compilation? Were those collections put together by plankton?

The world has gone mad! ;)

Mr. Bewlay likes this.
  25. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Not that strange an exclusion, actually. The FM soundtrack and the single were both released on MCA. MCA would soon acquire ABC Records in 1979, but at the time of the single's release, Steely Dan was on ABC and they probably would've had to license the song from MCA to include it on the Greatest Hits album.

Once their whole catalog was owned by MCA, they opted to put "FM" (as well as "Deacon Blues") on the Steely Dan Gold compilation, kind of a supplement to the Greatest Hits LP.