Greatest Hit's Albums That Are Missing Significant Hits

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Big hit in the UK and deservedly so

2. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident Thread Starter

Those tracks are more popular than Ask The Lonely, which made their Greatest Hits album.

3. Remington Steele

Strange omissions, considering Body Language made the top 5 in Canada and almost made the US top 10. Tie Your Mother down also had some chart action. And Keep Yourself Alive is considered very much a classic of FM AOR.

4. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I would consider the inclusion of "Back Chat", "Calling All Girls", "Pain Is So Close To Pleasure", "Scandal", or "A Winter’s Tale" on a hits collection to be even more strange.

5. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Desmond Dekker - Rudy Got Soul 1963-1968 leaves off his most well known song The Israelites.

Remington Steele likes this.
  6. Remington Steele

Strangely, Body Language did quite well on the US and Canadian charts. Higher on the charts than tracks like Don't Stop Me Now, which seem to have more traction these days.

905 likes this.
  7. Remington Steele

[​IMG] For many years Americans had only the 1987 issue of Vitol Idol as a Billy Idol compilation, which misses some hits up to that point. While the UK had both Vitol Idol and the more complete Idol Songs, which was a little unusual considering Idol had a couple of his singles charting higher in the US and his album sales were stronger here.

8. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

MGM left "Hair" off of "The Best of the Cowsills". It was ultimately their biggest hit, so they tagged it onto "The Cowsills in Concert".

9. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

On Bon Jovi's Cross Road comp, Born To Be My Baby was not included even though it was a bigger hit than some of the others that were.

ARK, 905, Galaga King and 1 other person like this.
  10. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

More so than the Wyclef Jean collab, the Elton version of Show Must Go On, the 1999 remix of Under Pressure or the solo singles?

11. Remington Steele

No Synchronicity II is bad enough. Using a softer re-made version of Don't Stand So Close To Me is very not cool.
    [​IMG]

12. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Why?

scobb likes this.
  13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Up From The Skies was released as a single and was #82 in the U.S.

905 and ian christopher like this.
  14. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Hardly a Smash Hit then, although I did just delete my post because Smash Hits did have tracks on it that weren't released as singles, so either the title is a misnomer, or it is a "Best Of" rather than Greatest Hit package.

905 likes this.
  15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

The Hot Space album is a bit of an outlier with those compilations. Under Pressure got picked for GHII, but that’s not really a Hot Space track. I guess the fact that the album appeared right after the first Greatest Hits album made it easier for the band to dismiss it.

Remington Steele likes this.
  16. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I tend to agree... although I have a soft spot for "Havana Moon"... Chuck is breaking out of the mold a bit on it..

17. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

My absolute two favorite Steely Dan tracks...

I don't understand the omission of Take It Away on Pure McCartney either... it was top 10 stateside...

ohnothimagen and Galaga King like this.
  18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

This is the one to get:
    [​IMG]

19. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

wow... I don't know any of these songs... :bigeek:

Hits in Europe? or stateside?

scobb likes this.
  20. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Like I’ve said before, these could have substituted many selections on GHIII.
    Besides that, there’s roughly 22 minutes of unused space on the most common cd version of GHI.
    Any of these would make sense, imo.

21. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Bennie and the Jets is five minutes of pure boredom to a lot of people over here. That style of Soul music was more popular in the USA than UK/Ireland. Barely top 40 over here and the UK.

Jarleboy and ian christopher like this.
  22. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Some were hits in Europe, like Scandal, Pain..., Spread Your Wings or Tie Your Mother Down.

23. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Well, Greatest Hits III is a complete mess anyway...I honestly forgot it existed.

ARK, 905, Jarleboy and 3 others like this.
  24. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

The Guided By Voices best-of Human Amusements At Hourly Rates, compiled by Uncle Bob himself, inexplicably omits "Gold Star For Robot Boy", of all things. It could easily fit, there's about three minutes to spare. That said, bar "Hit", which is 30 seconds long and amusing to find on a hits disc, the track list is fairly inarguable otherwise.

(Edited because I accidentally called it a "hits disc" - Pollard is of course well-known for his no-hitters)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  25. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Shaking The Tree had much more pleasant mastering however.

frightwigwam and Moshe like this.