Greatest Hit's Albums That Are Missing Significant Hits

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

Pick any of the greatest hits Morrissey puts out EVERY year....

Galaga King likes this.
  2. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

The Best of the Guess Who doesn't contain any hits by the Beatles...

;)

drad dog and 2trackmind like this.
  3. thestun06

thestun06 Forum Resident

The Who - Then And Now is missing Baba O’Riley!

4. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Greatest has it, but loses points with a horrible edit in Save A Prayer, which can’t be a single edit because that’s not how I heard it in 1985 when it became a hit in Holland.

I’m missing Meet El Presidente on Greatest, but the disc is already crammed.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Bruce’s GH is quite flawed. It always feels more like a sampler than a genuine compilation.

ARK, Billy Infinity, 905 and 2 others like this.
  6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Madonna’s business-savvy. She probably already recognised a career-low in the Who’s That Girl movie. Probably didn’t want any reminder hanging around on a compilation. Celebration didn’t have it either, did it..??

bataclan2002 likes this.
  7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

He gets by on a loophole there. The title doesn't promise every hit, only the "greatest' ones.

8. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I don’t know if it was anywhere else, but I’m On Fire was huge in Holland and probably the UK.

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The above post was flippant but the real reason it's probably not there is that they didn't want to include 7 of 12 songs from BITUSA (even though all were top 10s).

10. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It has 4 BITUSA songs. Which is still quite a lot. ;)

11. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

“Who’s That Girl” is included in Celebration. “Angel” is still MIA, though.

Gratefully Deadicated and ARK like this.
  12. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I've got a Kenny Rogers greatest hits that doesn't have The Gambler on it.:confused:
    [​IMG]

ARK, 905 and Pete Puma like this.
  13. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...The song, not the album, but .Elvis Presley's " Don't " was a #1, but seemed to not be in El elpees. Mebbe a little too much of a 50s " PULeazze, :cry:can I at least get SOME? " song?!?:winkgrin:;)
    The Temptations " (You're) All I Need " - was it their last single before switching to Norman Whitfield and psychedelic soul? Kind of at the end of an " earlier era ". I recall the old 3-disc LP Tempts Anthology, tho including it, sorta " ho-hum " dismissing it in its liners.
    Diana Ross/Supremes " The Happening " - because it was from a flop movie? Because Motown didn't have enough of the publishing?:confused:

14. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

My guess is those songs were country rock staples then, and not hard core enough to make the cut for the 1982 market.

15. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

It wasn't the first comp so there was less pressure. They made a trendy choice, emphasizing the lyrics, but also they avoided the repetition of the two 1966 breakout hits for two tracks running on another LP. I mean, those two tunes are not that distinct. I think it was a good move.

16. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Bee Gees - Timeless is missing “Love So Right” and “Emotion”

17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

If it's called Hot Rocks, it should contain their biggest hits in my opinion. In addition, by including Play With Fire side one begins with 3 slow songs in a row.

This is part of the reason I prefer Rolled Gold to Hot Rocks as a compilation of the Abkco material.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Billy Infinity likes this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It makes no sense to include I Want To Be Your Driver which was not released as a single and is not covered as often as these tracks. The Grateful Dead covered Promised Land for years for example.

In addition. Havana Moon was a b-side and did not chart.

Here is a list of the 39 most covered Chuck Berry tracks in order according to Fred Rothwell's - Long Distance Information: Chuck Berry's Recorded Legacy.

1. Johnny B. Goode
    2. Memphis Tennessee
    3. Roll Over Beethoven
    4. Sweet Little Sixteen
    5. Maybelline
    6. Rock And Roll Music
    7. Promised Land
    8. Little Queenie
    9. Around And Around
    10. You Never Can Tell
    11. Too Much Monkey Business
    12. Brown Eyed Handsome Man
    13. School Day
    14. Let It Rock
    15. No Particular Place To Go
    16. Bye Bye Johnny
    17. Carol
    18. Thirty Days
    19. Nadine
    20. Reelin' And Rockin'
    21. I'm Talking About You
    22. Back In The U.S.A.
    23. Sweet Little Rock And Roller
    24. Run Rudolph Run
    25. No Money Down

26. Almost Grown
    27. You Can't Catch Me
    28. Beautiful Delilah
    29. Wee Wee Hours
    30. My Ding-A-Ling

31. Come On
    32. Tulane
    33. Downbound Train
    34. Guitar Boogie

35. Havana Moon
    36. Dear Dad
    37. Jaguar And Thunderbird
    38. Back To Memphis (Mercury)

39. Oh Baby Doll

Track 40 is 6 way tie.

The highlighted tracks do not appear on the Great Twenty-Eight.

19. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I would have never have heard Havana moon if not on that great 28 . Awesome song .should have been a hit .

No Bull likes this.
  20. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

The original Queen Greatest hits was a great compilation when it was released. Pretty much all of their hits (albeit no deep cuts) along with the then new Under Pressure. I always hated what they did to that collection in the 90's. Then again I stopped really listening to the albums released after that so YMMV.

21. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Growing up in the 70's and 80's I heard "Play With Fire" on FM radio way more than "The Last Time". So much that I was surprised to find out it wasn't a hit. But then again neither was "Gimme Shelter" or "Midnight Rambler" or "Under My Thumb" and "Sympathy for the Devil". I think the concept for "Hot Rocks" was to gather their biggest radio hits, not charting hits. Also "You Can't Always Get What You Want" hadn't been released as a single yet so that never charted.

*Hit* status was irrelevant to the "Hot Rocks" collection, it was simply their most popular songs whether they charted or not. I don't disagree that "The Last Time" should have been included (it probably should have) but it isn't particularly missed by casual fans...the targeted audience.

22. Exile On My Street

"Stone In Love" is my favorite Journey song. It gets tons of radio play to this day and it charted at #13 on the Mainstream Rock chart in 1981. That makes it a hit to me.

Gratefully Deadicated, 905 and carlwm like this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I never really heard Play With Fire or The Last Time on the radio where I live in the seventies.

Part of reason for Hot Rocks was to include Abkco material from the period after Through The Past Darkly was released. No songs from Let It Bleed or Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out for that matter were included on Through The Past Darkly as it was released before Let It Bleed. Hot Rocks allowed for the inclusion of Gimme Shelter, You Can't Always Get What You Want and Midnight Rambler which had not appeared on a U.S. compilation album yet. In addition, Brown Sugar and Wild Horses had not appeared on compilation yet and were also included due to the Abkco agreement.

24. Exile On My Street

I suppose they didn't play it there in "Undisclosed". :p

"Hot Rocks" was my first Stones collection in '86 and I was already familiar with "Play With Fire" from the radio. I could vaguely recall "The Last Time" when I grabbed "More Hot Rocks" and for that reason never considered it *that* essential.

25. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Booker T & The MG's--The Best of...no Green Onions...really?!

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.