Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I really don't get this train of thought at all. So, they nuke the Zep/Blues influence and then what?

Then, THEY aren't the band that so many of us are enjoying.

I say, keep the Zep/Blues influences and ROCK!

2. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

The Zep for a new generation with the Dads of rock seal of approval huh cringe

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I don't see it as any different that the Stones with Muddy or many other bands with many other influences. I am surprised how much I like these guys though.

Tree of Life and artfromtex like this.
  4. Correct: the Beatles; Beach Boys ; Stones had Check Berry and many others; all music is derivative.

jammincrowe likes this.
  5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I still say if you want to take past influences... hard rock, blues, and psychedelia... and actually do something new with it, then listen to “All Them Witches”.

Maybe I’ll come round to these guys ... but its too derivative thus far...

JL6161 likes this.
  6. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Tickets went on sale yesterday for a string of shows, including Dallas. They all sold out right away. I was unable to get tickets. They added a second show in Detroit. Maybe I will get lucky.

7. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Still no Canadian dates. C'mon, guys, we're only two hours away down the 401 from Detroit!

santos6, RandelPink and LarryP like this.
  8. SuiteMadameBlue

SuiteMadameBlue Rockin' The Paradise

aroney and Tree of Life like this.
  9. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

The two Detroit shows at the Fillmore sold out in under a minute. That's 4400 tickets. They should have done the Fox next door.

10. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Going to admit I'm a little salty about Robert Plant being charitable to a band that has such a Led Zeppelin debt after how raw he got about David Coverdale working with Jimmy Page.

Still like Greta Van Fleet and what they're offering, but it comes off a bit... disingenuous to me after his "David Cover-Version" remarks back in the day.

11. I perceived it as a bit of sarcasm.

Efus and Runicen like this.
  12. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

Yeah, it's a bit of a big stretch to say that he is hailing them, as stated in the article title. I'd definitely interpret it more as faint praise, or even a dismissal - "Is that the guy from Detroit? He’s pretty good. There’s a job somewhere for him." It's not exactly a ringing endorsement and he changes the subject as soon as possible, though it could just be that he hasn't heard much of there stuff yet.

Runicen likes this.
  13. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Wonder how long before they play the new LCA (at least as an opening act if not eventual headliner)? I'd like to see them, but figured the Fillmore Detroit shows would be a hard ticket to score. Still quite can't get over the fact that they are from Frankenmuth!

The more I think about it, the more I believe being able to compose brand new material that would fit in on Physical Graffiti is an absolute blessing.

artfromtex and RandelPink like this.
  14. artfromtex

Saw on Facebook that GVF has put up a Spotify exclusive rendition of the song "Black Smoke Rising" and a cover of Adele's "Rolling In The Deep". I am interested to hear these.

JasonA and RandelPink like this.
  15. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Show 3 goes on sale Friday morning.

jdlaw likes this.
  16. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

I managed to find the Spotify password for the pre-sales and got a ticket (after 5 tries) for the Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ show on May 11.

As I thought about it, this may be the first concert I go to where the performers are younger than I am. Almost seems weird.

17. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

100% agree. The music is promising, but visually they kinda struck me as what a Lou Pearlman hard rock boy band would look like. Lets just say I had a hard time picturing these guys as the participants in the mud shark incident.

18. djaudio

djaudio Forum Resident

It's been a while since I've been to this forum, but found this thread when I was searching for Great Van Fleet. I was hoping there was some public audio of the Spotify Sessions, Rolling In The Deep. Singer does a really good job on it. A very bold move to cover that song, if you ask me.

I've been a fan of these guys since I first heard Highway Song. Seeing their stuff, I think there is huge potential. But to me, it's like the first Rush album. Everybody said it sounded like Zeppelin, but it was still very good. And then they went on to find their own identity. That's what I'm hoping these guys do. They can't be a Zeppelin clone forever. I cut them a lot of slack though. They are just kids. No one should be giving them a hard time for being like Zeppelin. Just enjoy the music, which is damn good.

I just missed getting tickets for a show they did near me last year. Can't wait to see them when they come back.

19. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Show 3 sold out in under 5 minutes.

That's 6600 tickets over the 3 nights.

violetvinyl likes this.
  20. santos6

santos6 Well-Known Member

I know! Anxiously waiting/hoping it doesn't sell out before I can get a ticket!

LarryP likes this.
  21. Efus

Efus Senior Member

It's not bad, and surprising a young band is getting noticed playing this style of music.

Be nice to see them grow organically without a lot of pressure and expectation, but that maybe unavoidable at this point.

Funny, first videos/live clips I saw the vocalist is just a young man in a t-shirt, looking like millions of others his age.
    Then I saw a clip from Camden NJ from last September, and it looked like someone dressed him up RP style circa 1973,
    maybe to jazz them up a bit visually.

"It could be made into a monster, if we all pulled together as a team....."

22. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Wouldn't they be better if the bass player was better and could cover on keys, the drummer used thicker sticks and hit harder, and the guitar player player got into the occult? Heck, add some non-sequitur Tolkien references for effect. There, fixed.

23. artfromtex

The bass player does play keyboards.

24. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

A friend of mine sent me this link since I told him I wondered what GVF would sound like covering a Zeppelin song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.