Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JosephRose

JosephRose Forum Resident

All the others... of a radically different genre? You're comparing a Honda Civic to a toaster.

Stuart S likes this.
  2. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

:biglaugh:

Clueless.

Man at C&A and Stuart S like this.
  3. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Let me translate for Stuart: Rock > Pop

Stuart S and aroney like this.
  4. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria Thread Starter

They will be much bigger and Wofmother will be their opening band.

You know something?

Who Cares if he has a voice that resembles Plant's. He cannot change it, it's a gift, one that I would most certainly love to have

I'm just glad he doesn't sound like John Lennon...pffftttt!

5. FrixFrixFrix

Very wishful thinking. Wolfmother came around at the tail end of a surge of interest in new rock music that just doesn't exist anymore.

That said, a Wolfmother/GVF double bill would be great for all the tired old rock fans who are too stubborn or scared to broaden their horizons and just want to hear a warmed-over rehash of the sound they grew up on with nothing new or exciting to offer.

Man at C&A and James5001 like this.
  6. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

There's a way bigger buzz about GVF than there ever was about Wolfmother. Their UK tour next month is completely sold out already. Derivative they may be but there's a massive audience out there waiting to follow them...don't be fooled by the naysayers on here claiming that there is no new audience for rock music.

7. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Who cares

8. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria Thread Starter

You hit the nail on the head with "NewRock Music That doesn't exist anymore" followed by "Rehash of they sound they grew up on".

There are bands that have potential, some you can tell through their sound, more than other and Greta Van Fleet is one of those.

Most new, or relatively new bands lack the songwriting, finding THEIR distinct sound that makes them stand out, & direction. If you aren't the flavor of 15 minutes your time is short.

There are no record companies anymore that nuture bands until they find their niche'. A lot of bands from the seventies would not still be here today if they started in this era.

I've listened to your comparable band "Wolfmother" and they are one of these...haven't evolved, no memorable songs, no memorable riffs or hooks and every song sounds the same.

I hope one day they do, the potential is there.

9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I dunno about that, I heard Woman on the radio all over the place and even at parties with friends and stuff back when it was new plus their music in big pictures like The Hangover. GVF has a decent online buzz but haven't heard much of them outside of web forums

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  10. FrixFrixFrix

Welcome to the echo chamber

11. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Yeah, I've got to vote with the "this is just outright slavish mimicry" camp here. And I say that as a person who's perfectly fine with retro or throwback or neo-garage or what-have you bands. I don't need a current/recent rock group to be like mold-breakingly original to enjoy it a ton (although I do appreciate ones who are fresh, of course). For example, none of these bands are what you'd call monstrously innovative, and they all show their influences super openly but they are/were swell: The Hives, Biters, King Gizzard, All Them Witches, Brian Jonestown, The Strokes, British Sea Power, Martha, Bloody Hollies, The Orwells, and zillion more. Of those, Biters and The Orwells are the most derivative, but even they toss in a little something of their own. People like Jack White, All Them Witches, The Kills do very interesting and distinctive new twists on ancient idioms.

And plenty of singers naturally sound similar to other singers. But there's a difference between Michael Stipe being reminiscent of Gene Clark and this kid, who clearly practiced singing note-for-note like Robert Plant. Like you could do a side-by-side syllable-by-syllable moan-by-groan comparison.

Ma Kelly and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  12. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

A couple videos from their recent Lincoln Hall show have been upped on Youtube. Best sound quality I've heard of them in concert thus far:

Boys can play! I'm firmly in the' best young band I've heard in many a year' camp. A breath of fresh air!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Jimijam, Tropehjelm, aroney and 4 others like this.
  13. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

aroney and artfromtex like this.
  14. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

last week @ Troubadour LA

artfromtex likes this.
  15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I suspect we will be seeing a Blu Ray / DVD video release from these guys soon. It looks like some of these shows were professionally recorded for a reason.

16. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

My cousin as in once removed found out about these guys, and got his dad my cousin into them. Maybe I should listen to them more, but so far I haven't heard much directly appealing about the music.

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  17. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

But she's a lantern in the night she's out of sight & a sparrow of the dawn our love is born.. it's special, special, midnight Yeaaaaaaaaaah momma!

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  18. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

So maybe lyrics aren't their strong suit quite yet, what of it? :laugh:

Some dude named 'Dave B' posted this in the comment section of one of their Youtube videos. Had to chuckle a little bit:

:D

19. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

You're not listening very hard. :D

They've been covered by music media large and small and far and wide, featured in WSJ and other major media, along with appearances/mentions on Sirius XM, special Spotify only tracks, selling out most every show, playing major upcoming festivals (Coachella etc.) and...

...anyway, it's well beyond forum buzz stage.

20. aroney

I'd go see that show in a second. This from an old, and sometimes tired, rock fan who is NOT too stubborn to broaden his horizons (and who frequently does).

You can be both my friend.

Or maybe, I should just spend the entire year listening to every Led Zeppelin live bootleg recording instead?

(Nice work by the way!) ;)

21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I don't think they have covered LZ since their school days. Most of their covers are older, obscure rock or blues tunes. They have a ton of originals that they play live. So far their studio output consists of 6 originals and 2 covers.

They released this, a third cover, to Spotify a week or so ago:

aroney likes this.
  22. segue

singer is totally irritating

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Man at C&A, jmczaja and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  23. aroney

It was actually shot back in October. Daly aired 4 songs from the show, a couple shortly after the show and a couple more last week.

24. segue

Put Elin Larsson from Swedish band Blues Pills in as the singer. Now that would really be a great band! She has an incredible voice.
    [​IMG]

25. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I know that, but from what I remember Wolfmother got more buzz during their peak

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.